Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have for some time now been infatuated with certain British cars and trucks and British Police vehicles.  I love Aston Martins, Jags, Morgans, MGs, Triumphs and other British marques.  In the past year I have built an Aston Martin DB4, Jaguar Mk II Saloon, Morgan 4/4 and a Ford Transit Mk II as well as curbsides of different manufacturers.  I have also built several AC Cobras over the years.  My new project is the Italeri Range Rover Police Kit #3661.  This is another curbside kit that will be painted with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White with a grey interior.  My research has not shown any 2-way radio placement, but I am going to install a resin 2-way radio and a whip antenna.  The radio was given to me free and the whip antenna comes from the Revell Ford Expedition SSP. 

More to come...

RRP01.JPG

RRP02.JPG

RRP03.JPG

I started on the Range Rover Police yesterday with chassis assembly and painting the floor pan.  I still need to detail paint the floor pan.  I painted the interior seats and side panels and the base of the light bar.  I didn't paint the dash since there is a large sink hole in the center of the instument pod and I didn't have any filler with me yesterday.  I'll fill those sink holes today with some Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty.

More to come...

RRP04.JPG

RRP05.JPG

RRP06.JPG

A little more work done this afternoon after a visit from my step-daughter and the grandkids!  I got the floorpan permanently mounted and then I got the rest of the suspension painted and mounted.

More to come...

RRP07.JPG

RRP08.JPG

RRP09.JPG

I painted the dash and steering wheel for the Range Rover and got the body into a coat of Tamiya white primer.  The interior has been partially assembled.  I need to detail the dash and steering wheel.  This is the resin two-way radio that was given to me by streetrod aka Mr. Prestigous aka Barry Fadden.  I added the handset cord, power and antenna cables.  Now I'll remove the wires and paint the radio.

More to come...

RRP10.JPG

RRP11.JPG

RRP12.JPG

Thanks Curtis and Dan!  This is a different kind of kit for me to build.  I am finding that many curbside kits have an aweful lot of detail in areas we wouldn't expect to find a lot.  A different kind of challenge for me.

I painted the Range Rover with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White yesterday and this afternoon I painted the trim with Rust-Oleum Semi-Gloss Black.  With all the masking involved, there were only a couple of small bleed throughs which made me happy.  I did a mockup of the body and the chassis to see how the Range Rover was progressing.  I added the light bar which is incorrect for this patrol car according to the instructions,  but I have seen pictures of various lightbars on Range Rovers and this one looks good to my eye.  There are three versions in this kit with appropriate decals to match.  I have selected the decals for the British Transport Police.  They cover all the rail and bus stations in all of the UK.

More to come...

RRP16.JPG

RRP17.JPG

RRP18.JPG

Yesterday, I installed the windshield, or I tried to install the windshield.  It didn't matter which way I tried or how much glue I used, the windshield was the same size as the opening and it just wouldn't fit in straight.  This morning, I cut a piece of bubble packing, that clear plastic wrapping that many products come in, slightly larger than the windshield frame and glued it in.  It's nice and clear and will not fall out!  I assembled both light bars, but I am leaning towards the one in front, although the instructions indicate using the one in the rear.  Based on my research, they all had different light bars.

More to come...

RRP19.JPG

RRP20.JPG

RRP21.JPG

I went to mount the body permanently to the chassis and noticed that the nose of the body needed to be clamped.  I suspected that the instrument panel sat a little high and I discovered a way to lower the panel.  I removed the two ridges on the transmission hump and remounted the dash.  I remounted the body and it sits 100% better!

More to come...

RRP22.JPG

RRP23.JPG

RRP24.JPG

• 2 months later...

Well, the Range Rover Police is back on the bench!  I would like to take this to the Classic Plastic Model Exhibition on October 6, but this Range Rover needs additional work!  The body needs to be cleaned up and the windows are a real pain.  I have tried to mount the windows on the inside of the body, but the fit is less than so-so.  I may remove the windows, clean them up and remount them on the outside.  The body needs a good polishing and the decals are fine as they are.

More Range Rover Police to come...

RRP39.JPG

RRP40.JPG

RRP41.JPG

Tonight, I removed the 2-way radio and mounted it higher on the dash so it could be seen better, especially when I get the windows reinstalled which may limit visibility somewhat.  I've been cleaning up the glass of the clear glue mess around the outer edges.  I am going to reinstall them on the outside of the body instead.  One of the things that bothered me about the light bar was that the bottom was completely open.  While it may not be seen, I wanted to cover the bottom with a piece of styrene just to satisfy me.

RRP42.JPG

RRP43.JPG

RRP44.JPG

The Range Rover is slowly coming back together.  The windows have been reinstalled from the inside like they should be.  I cleaned the surfaces on the body and the windows and reglued them using regular model glue very sparingly.  I should have used epoxy instead.  The light bar broke on one side between the light and the center housing.  I reglued that and found a piece of wire for another antenna that will go on the roof in front of the light bar.  I need to make a base for that.

RRP45.JPG

RRP46.JPG

RRP47.JPG