Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DBS Tamiya

JerseeJerry55

Hello all,

I had received the Tamiya Aston Martin DBS as a Christmas gift. Just getting around to starting it. I have never built Tamiya before. Questions are has anyone built this kit? What can I expect in the way of issues? What colors would be popular for the car? Any assistance would be appreciated. Sorry if the picture is sideways. Thank you.

IMG_2743.jpg

Tamiya makes some of the best kits, so expect i it to fall together and be easy to clean up. I’ve seen these in black, dark green, orange and silver. Aston Martin will paint the car any color you want, so really it’s up to you! 

2 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Tamiya makes some of the best kits, so expect i it to fall together and be easy to clean up. I’ve seen these in black, dark green, orange and silver. Aston Martin will paint the car any color you want, so really it’s up to you! 

Jacob thanks. I am looking forward to the build.

1 hour ago, Italianhorses said:

Tamiya paint coding system could be confusing

Good call, the paint is always on the first page of instructions that shows the sprues also. 

X is regular gloss (there is a semi gloss or two in this class as well)

XF is flat

TS is spray

My build is here:

low-front-right-quarter-people-L.jpg

The biggest problem was the metal transfers for the engine, which would not stick to the matte finish engine cover. After destroying one and recovering with some difficulty,  in the end, I applied all the rest to decal film, and then applied them as water slide decals, which worked fine...

It's a great kit generally, with excellent fit and very nice detailing, along with Tamiya's usual trick of getting a lot of detailed parts combined into single mouldings.

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon