Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Superbird

john66

This will be OOB. I decided to start it while waiting on paint for the Daytona Charger. I am thinking

maybe of painting it that unique burnt orange color if I can find a good match. I did one a few years

ago in basic black.---John

c4J82kf.jpg

3w9L0Pg.jpg

I have the black die cast from Johnny Lightning.  Debating on changing to a factory color. BUt then the black does look pretty good.  

I do have a plastic kit that I quit working on.  I tried to correct the uphostery pattern and door panels.  I was going to use the AMT engine compartment to make a better superbird.  The scale differences could be worked past.   Then I started working out of town and that project stalled and has never restarted. 

The burnt orange will be spectacular.  

Thanks. That's where I am going to be at soon, stalled. I'm still looking for a match

for that color, burnt orange , in rattle cans. No airbrush here nor will there ever be one.

So I will hunt the hobby shops, Wal Mart  and Home Depot to try to find a decent match.---John

Yup factory colors! The burnt orange wasn't for Superbirds. Someone in the paint shop

"accidentally" painted it that so the story goes. They let 2 or 3 go that way I guess that's

why they are so rare.---John

On 6/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, john66 said:

The black one I did, doubt Plymouth ever did it in black. At the time I believe I

was doing stealth aircraft and thought this would fit right in.---John

HpNS8z7.jpg

lldr0b5.jpg

Great job,and yes,Mopar should’ve built a few Super birds in black.They would be worth a XXXX A l:lol:T of $$..I mean these were obviously custom painted, but man that would one great looking car.

212E639B-8A2B-4825-B063-490145FC049D.jpeg

CB0B0904-C045-4390-966D-963268C2340D.jpeg

That looks terrific in black! I always thought Superbirds could be had in black but I guess not. 

I distinctly remember seeing an In-Violet one running around town back in the '70's. Whether or not it was original I don't know, but it sure was a nice car. 

Several years ago.

I saw one done in black with a  Gold vinyl top and gold lettering.

That car looked AMAZING. 

Black wasnt an avail color but sure should have been

As just an fyi.

Petty blue wasnt an avail color when birds were 1st introduced. 

That came later during the production run.

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

As just an fyi. Petty Blue wasn't an avail color when birds were 1st introduced. 

That came later during the production run.

Wasn't it originally TB3 Corporate Blue ( "999" on the fender tag ) , but was named 'Petty Blue' for the 1970-1971 B-bodies ( then renamed Basin Street Blue [Plymouth] and  Super Blue [ Dodge ] for the 1972 model year ? ) 

The "T" in "TB3" = 1962 model year release . I've heard some conjecture that Petty Blue was actually a different shade of blue vs. Corporate Blue .