Model Cars Magazine Forum

SHORTSTER: custom 57 Chrysler roadster

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

What if Detroit had downsized well before the 60's?

1957 300C made into a very short roadster. Curbside using the AMT kit, and a 1932 Chrysler wire wheels and tires. Tamya bright orange with pearl clear on top, to get that "coral" hue so popular at the end of the 50's. Plus cut flowers for the evening date...

CT 

DSCF3842 (2).JPG

DSCF3841 (2).JPG

DSCF3843 (2).JPG

Hi!

Thank you for the comments. 

Actually, this idea came to me upon reading a story in HOTROD magazine a few years ago. A gentleman in the midwest cut a 58 or 59 Chrysler Imperial in pieces, to create... exactly a shortened roadster out of it! And I had this 57 in my stash, so... 

We hardly invent anything, alas. Just get inspired, basically. 

CT

Hi!

Thanks for the comments, and the pix of both actual cars. It CAN be done, and to Mark and Scott point... it would be easy to drive and park! Jason, think it twice before cutting that Imperial of yours. They used to be rare kits. 

One could also use the cheap snap kit of the red "tailfin" Plymouth that revell came up with a few years ago. The windows are dark, so you would spare having to do the interior. Actually, this is the most complicated part of the build.

CT 

Years ago in Portage Wi. a guy shortened a 58 Ford convertible. He would do wheelies down the parking lot road where he lived. The old trailer hitch on the back would be throwing sparks like crazy!

The 57 Chevy has a Nash Metropolitan aura to it!:lol: