Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally!...A Scarab (I've added some detail and corrections)

traditional

I think that the Reventlow 1958 Scarabs were one of the most beautiful (and successful) sports racers ever and I've wanted a model of one of them for years. I was delighted when Replicarz recently decided to do one (actually three different versions) in 1/18 scale.

Like many limited volume models now-a-days, this one is done in resin but with an open engine compartment. That engine compartment was the only serious disappointment with this beautiful model since it looks absurdly disproportionate and bland. It's supposed to be a Hilborn injected small-block Chevy but the Replicarz version of the motor is overly simplified (considering the price) and the Corvette valve covers are unfortunately about the size of a Chrysler Hemi. The model's engine hood is a loose separate part.
I decided that, since this is the only Scarab game in town, I would modify mine to be more detailed and proportioned, as well as front-hinging the engine hood. 
I also decided to paint the mag wheels to be a bit more representative of clean magnesium (a slightly more grey-silver with a touch of yellow/gold) rather than Replicarz plain silver. I then chose to use some more accurate knock-off spinners from the surplus parts tree of a GMP 1/18 Hot Rod kit.
The Replicarz Scarab version that I chose is the one bought and raced successfully up until 1961 by Harry Heuer (driven also by many other successful drivers, including Augie Pabst for its last win in 1961) and sponsored by the Peter Hand Brewing Company.

1-P6130203.JPG

1-P6140207.JPG

I fabricated hinges for the loose engine hood as well as correcting lots of engine detail

1-P6130196.JPG

1-P6130202.JPG

1-P6140204.JPG

1-P6110189-001.JPG

Replicarz' Chevy engine is quite basic and way off in proportion including absurdly oversized Chevy Valve covers

1-P6130193-001.JPG

I've added the correct small-block Corvette valve covers with the added breathers in the script area as well as lots of throttle linkage detail, hood prop-rod, brass fittings instead ot the later-style color anodized versions, etc. I also fabricated a new top detail for the Vertex ignition magneto.

Edited by traditional

15 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

That's a beautiful car, and looks like perfect execution.  Doing the pinstripe decals must have been fun.

Actually, thats exactly how the model comes from Replicarz.  The only changes that I made were hinging the engine hood, toning the wheels to look more like clean magnesium, and detailing (and modifying) the engine compartment.  Replicarz makes two other versions of the Scarab as well, and in all cases, the body proportions and paint finishing are quite beautifully done. It's really only the engine compartment that is a disapointment.