Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell KW W900 on her way

Hello all and hope everyone's well. Well the Wife got me my next project. The Revell KW W900 "Snap Tite" tractor. I have built this kit once before and it was a very good kit for my needs. Easy to build, and it has endless possibilities for detailing. The web also has a great deal of examples for making it into a real nice example. I am planning on painting her in Model Master lacquer rattle can. The color's I am still deciding on. Love these Revell kits and I am hoping to do it as good IF not better than my Revell Pete 359 seen below. Just have to source the front cab visor which I believe will have to be cast in resin I will post as I go along.

IMG_2700.jpg

Well the W 900 has arrived. Now onto a dilemma. I have chosen to paint the cab, and hood in Model Master White lacquer, and the frame and the associated parts in Model Master Ford Ultraviolet Pearl (Purple) lacquer. the decals I would like to get are from Model Truckin's website. They are stock # KW112  Apache stripes (The Movin' On KW VIT had those stripes). However even though Purple with Gold outline is listed in his drop down box. he lists the following: Colors Available: Red, Yellow, White, Green, Dark Green, Blue, Dark Blue,  Gold, or Silver.

I have sent Jerry Reeter the owner three emails, and a couple of Facebook messages in regard to ordering the colors I would prefer to use but he hasn't responded. Not sure if he's just been busy, or can't answer messages. Has anybody ordered from his site recently? In any event I guess i just have to wait.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:04 PM, clayton said:

I remember his post a few months ago the web site was down and having trouble.

I have ordered from him be for and got shipped rite out.

Jerry emailed me last week. He has been quite busy. I am glad he's just been busy and nothing else. That being said I primed the cab, and hood over the weekend and gave her a light sanding. Then I laid down the Model Master White lacquer on the cab, sleeper, and hood. Went to lay down a second coat on the hood and lo and behold I successfully......wait for it.....dropped the hood off of the stand onto the brick walkway. You know falling from that height gives it some real nice scratches and even some dirt residue. I will have to sand, reapply the primer, and then re-shoot the hood. I love the inability of paint jobs, and I to get along. Heck the impetuous Jerry from 42 years ago when I was 16 would have thrown the model out my 2nd story bedroom window. But nowadays I am a bit more patient I just cuss myself usually out loud. Oh well live and learn. 

How is that model master lacquer paint? Some say it is junk.

All  I can get my hands on is wall Mart or drive 45 miles one way, 

Kinda thinking about a little road trip any way just in case I get called in to work,,,if you know what I mean.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, clayton said:

How is that model master lacquer paint? Some say it is junk.

All  I can get my hands on is wall Mart or drive 45 miles one way, 

Kinda thinking about a little road trip any way just in case I get called in to work,,,if you know what I mean.

Clayton,

Hi. I like working with rattle can lacquers (Model Master, Testors, and Tamiya). Only drawback is that it's only 3 oz vs. 6 oz. in the standard store bought enamels. 

Good morning. So I assembled the wheels and the tires last night. So lo and behold what pops back up is the wonderfully atrocious fit of the wheels and tires on the drive axles. Mine has some really noticeable gaps. In other words the space between the two tires is pretty even until one point where it gets wider. I know others that have built these kits may have experienced this issue from time to time. However I believe I may have a solution. I think I will glue the wheels on the axles where the front drive wheel gaps will be hidden under the rear fenders. The rear drive wheels will be glued where the gaps will face forward. Although I am by no means a rivet counter but in regard to things of this nature I do tend to stress the small stuff because these issues should have been corrected awhile ago. In addition they should have included a visor as I have never seen an Aerodyne without one, or the later model Peterbilt 359's also.Also any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...