Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach Boys Song. Shut Down Dodge Dart

After listening to this song for years, I'm motivated to Build the 413 Super Stock.

Research tells me that it is a 1962 Dodge Dart. MCW Sells Resin '62 Dart Bodies. But, do I want a HardTop or 2Door Sedan? And, how good are MCW bodies? Lastly, did the 1962 Super Stock 413 Have the Long Ram Tubes, or the smaller Ram Induction Side by Side manifold?

Thanks for the help.

Alan

36 minutes ago, alexis said:

A Lastly, did the 1962 Super Stock 413 Have the Long Ram Tubes, or the smaller Ram Induction Side by Side manifold?

Thanks for the help.

Alan

1962 Dodge ( and Plymouth ) 413 Max wedge:

Only difference between Dodge versus Plymouth is the decal on the valve cover

Dodge  
  "Ramcharger 413"

413 cubic inches

410 horsepower (11.0:1 compression) or 420 horsepower (13.5:1 compression)

Plymouth
"Super Stock 413"

413 cubic inches

410 horsepower (11.0:1 compression) or 420 horsepower (13.5:1 compression

1962Plymouth413MaxWedge_04_700.jpg

2017-04-02_02-05-48.jpg

1962-plymouth-savoy-413-max-wedge

Edited by gtx6970

PS, 1962 is the ONLY year it was a 413.

1963 and early model year 1964 it was a 426.

Mid year 1964 the Max Wedge was replaced by the Race Hemi 426

Either way. Whats not to love..

The Ultimate ZoomZoom,,,,,,,, imo

4074650057_f63f0c4524_b.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

4 hours ago, J Steven said:

Are you sure that it was the Beach Boys and not Jan and Dean that sang about the" Shiny Red Super Stock Dodge"

Different song entirely, but yes J&D wrote and recorded that one (Leon Russell played piano, if you like trivia) and the BBs later covered it. 

Yep, that "brand new shiny red Super Stock Dodge" was driven by Jan & Dean's "Little Old Lady From Pasadena." 

Many years ago, some great modeler built a diorama inspired by that song. IIRC, the Dodge was backed into a "rickety old garage" full of clutter. Including a scratch-built washing machine. If anybody remembers who built that, please jog my memory. 

Edited by Mike999
goof

Another bit of trivia, with a personal connection: Back around 1984 or '85, Dr. Don Altfeld, the co-writer of "Little Old Lady..." came to my print shop (on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena!) to get some copies. He told me he was reviving the Little Old Lady character as a proposal for an ad campaign... for Ford.  I asked how the song would go, and he sang "Here in her garage where the kids all hang, is a brand new shiny red Ford Mustang!"  :blink: 

Admittedly, Mopar wasn't producing any real performance cars then.

His idea got some mention in the L.A. papers soon after, but nothing came of it...

1 hour ago, Reegs said:

But the lyric shoulda been:

But parked in a rickety old garage is a brand-new, shiny red, Ramcharger Dodge

Just to be accurate.

[EdMcMahonVoice] You are corRECT, sir! [/EdMcMahonVoice]

On 6/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, alexis said:

After listening to this song for years, I'm motivated to Build the 413 Super Stock.

Research tells me that it is a 1962 Dodge Dart. MCW Sells Resin '62 Dart Bodies. But, do I want a HardTop or 2Door Sedan? And, how good are MCW bodies? Lastly, did the 1962 Super Stock 413 Have the Long Ram Tubes, or the smaller Ram Induction Side by Side manifold?

Thanks for the help.

Alan

Ram Induction on a 413 

640px-413crossram.jpg.0411be06d9cbfaa53266366f89d0eeb6.jpg

62-65 Max Wedge Exhaust system

max.jpg.28275bfa1e09f411a27445a9db7da799.jpg

Edited by Jon Haigwood

On 6/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, alexis said:

Thanks for the information and pictures! Looks like I can source the Max Wedge 413 from the Lindberg '64 kits. Is there any way of knowing whether I should use the Sd or HT body? MCW offers both.

Thanks, Alan

It was not uncommon for the HT and convertible to share the same body...the primary difference being the roofing material. That means the HT would have the additional bracing for rigidity and that means more weight.

The Sd didn't have that bracing, and usually weighed less than its HT counterpart. That's why most performance cars of that era were sedans.

5 hours ago, Reegs said:

But the lyric shoulda been:

But parked in a rickety old garage is a brand-new, shiny red, Ramcharger Dodge

Just to be accurate.

It would race in the Super Stock class, so wouldn't that make it a Super Stock Dodge after a sanctioned race ? 

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Drat. So I need a resin copy of the Ram Tubes from the Johan kit. Well, I'll start looking for some.

No. Use the small intake. The long ram manifold didn't fit under the hood. That's why a group of Chrysler engineers that belonged to a club called the Ramchargers developed the small manifold

1 minute ago, my66s55 said:

No. Use the small intake. The long ram manifold didn't fit under the hood. That's why a group of Chrysler engineers that belonged to a club called the Ramchargers developed the small manifold

If you are following the song lyrics it's "He's hot with ram induction but it's understood" that would call for the Cross Ram but you can build anyway you want. 

It's a Beach Boys song. It's got more than one error. The Beach Boys were not car guys. The long ram did not come in the 62 Dodge Dart. It didn't fit. Read this on the Ramchargers 62 Dart that had the long ram intake installed. I saw this car personally in January of 63 at the Sunoco garage on north Woodward Ave just south of Teds. My buddy and I were cruising Woodward in his dad's Galexie 500 with a 406 tri-power, 4 speed and posi. We decided to take a look. He popped the hood and we had a good long look.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990327521141.cgi?itemid=9990440435271&action=viewad&categoryid=9920367363431