Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 simulated bike chain.

was looking for some chain for a custom bicycle project last year and someone responded with the following source. That was to buy what is known as FUSEE(foo-say) chain that was believe it or not used in hand wound pocket watch manufacturing. The stuff is not cheap and everything I found available was from England. There were no American sources so if you order you'll have to be patient. on delivery. Some might be available on Ebay or you can google it. Goodluck.

You might also look at any craft shop that has a jewelry section. I have found some chain that worked perfect for the bed chains on a pick up bed latch. While not the same thing they may have a different style you could use. 

A bit if real trivia about fusee chain. This stuff is so extremely small that adult hands could not assemble it so children from orphanages were used due to their tiny hands and manual dexterity. Remember this was done about 100 years ago when pocket watches were in fashion and there were no child labor laws.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:23 AM, misterNNL said:

was looking for some chain for a custom bicycle project last year and someone responded with the following source. That was to buy what is known as FUSEE(foo-say) chain that was believe it or not used in hand wound pocket watch manufacturing. The stuff is not cheap and everything I found available was from England. There were no American sources so if you order you'll have to be patient. on delivery. Some might be available on Ebay or you can google it. Goodluck.

This it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fusee-pocket-watch-drive-chain-with-both-hooks-6-3-8-inches-Parts/202708038676?hash=item2f32573414:g:TWcAAOSwVopdBOQc

I'm surprised how cheap used chain is on eBay, tempted to bid.  Shipping costs more.  I have this idea for a project, will take more time to convert the Fujimi mountain bike into a 10 speed, might as well add the chain.  LOL

c8e1af9e20167b88ecc113cd5ee44208.jpg

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

That is it.  These come in several slightly different sizes (but all are pretty much good for model chain). I was introduced to Fusee chains by our own Harry P.

Wow, cool timing on this post. I was looking for the exact same thing 3 days ago, using the exact same images for inspiration, and found the same threads regarding Fusee chain on MCM!  Very cool discovery, so thanks to everyone who posted ideas and links on those threads (and in this one). Definitely going to keep it in mind for that future project...

13 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I tried to bid on some, would have been nice to have a variety.  But I don't know the bid process, seems screwy.

Nothing screwy about it - standard eBay auction listing. You tried to snipe, but c**c(65)  bid more than you did  (earlier in the auction), so you didn't get it. Proxy bidding - that is the way eBay works.

Found a couple of sites that you could get a 70 inch long one for about $85.  At a buck an inch that doesn't seem to bad.  I have a couple of 1:12 scale motorcycle chain kits and they are about that price per inch and have to be assembled one link and at a time.  

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Nothing screwy about it - standard eBay auction listing. You tried to snipe, but c**c(65)  bid more than you did  (earlier in the auction), so you didn't get it. Proxy bidding - that is the way eBay works.

I'm ignorant about the terms.  Seller have a reserve price?  Seller have another account, so tried to bid up, faking idiots like me out?  I've bought things that were not in a bid, just outright.

Bidding on ebay is a hit or miss proposition. It's no different than going to an estate, police or any other type of auction; except you need to check on your bid status more frequently. A number of bidders set a maximum bid amount and their bids are automatically entered in increments if another bid exceeds that bidder's last higher amount. Worth and value are subjective. Everybody has their own idea as to what they feel a particular item is worth; so, you might not want to get into a pissing contest and end up paying more than you really want to spend.

I've made a bunch of purchases like this on eBay.  I follow a very simple process.  I decide what I am willing to pay.  I wait until the last day and that is my one and only bid.  If I get it for less(it does happen) great.  If I get it for my max bid, I got it for what I was willing to pay.  If I don't get it, there will almost always be another one out there soon.  I don't worry about it!  Getting tangled up in a bidding war pretty much assures that you are going to feel like you overbid in the end.