Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 Cabriolet

NOBLNG

I got this one a while back at a flea market, and despite the damage and the problems, I can't seem to get it out of my mind! (I know I'm a sucker for a bargain!) The windshield frame is so flimsy that even if it wasn't damaged it would still be poor! I got it almost repaired when I discovered that the windshield was way to small width wise to fit.:angry: I also find that the kit outer rims provided are too small for the tires and the inner rims are too large.:blink:

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions as to fixes when I first posted my purchase! I managed to cobble together a decent looking frame (in my mind) from .125 half round and a new windshield out of clear packaging plastic. I know it ain't perfect...but good enough for this kit!

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7786.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

The seat backs were inset drastically into the seats leaving a sharp corner all around the seat back and a big crack all round. So I cut an additional seat back from .060 styrene and beefed it up and rounded the corners. I painted the seats and dash with XF-68 and other parts with Vallejo leather brown, followed with X-35 semi gloss clear. The floor and lower door panels are black embossing powder.

IMG_7735.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

IMG_7791.JPG

I hear you, I have an MX5 and LOVE cruising around on nice days!

Turns out my air cleaners interfered with the deck lid so I had to lower them a bit. Even the spark plug wires were hitting the lid and had to be moved forward a bit.:( The dashboard also had to be lowered slightly so the body would sit down where it should. This meant the consol piece around the shifter needed a fair bit shaved off of it.

The wheels are spares from a Mustang kit and needed to have the outer lip shaved a lot thinner. The Porsche kit inner wheel rims also needed to have the lip shaved down.

IMG_7810.JPG

IMG_7889.JPG

IMG_7892.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

Got the body mostly painted. I brush painted all the trim flat black but I want to spray the top as a last step. I still want to put a few more coats of clear on and if the trim looks too glossy afterwards I will re-coat it.  I added some styrene to the edges of the rear deck lid to even out the gaps. I also snipped off the hinges which would not work anyway and made some small brackets to hold the lid in place.

IMG_7901.JPG

IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 5:28 AM, Gramps46 said:

Good looking progress.

Thanks Gary!

19 hours ago, superbike-shaun said:

Very nice handling of this fiddily Revell kit.you have done well with all of the fixes to make this a pretty,,,,,,nice kit!

Thanks Shaun!

I managed to get the windshield made and installed from .020 polyester. It needs to be curved quite a bit, but only at the two outer edges. It took me three tries...I melted the first one by flashing my butane torch over it (too slowly), the second one I put a good fingernail dent in it after the butane torch treatment...(I need a better way of heating this stuff)! The wife's old hair dryer blows WAY too much air and is not localized enough. We had a PVC welder at my old workplace that would do a terrific job I think. Maybe I will have to borrow it next time I have to fab a drastically curved windshield.B)

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

This one is pretty much done. I left the sun visors off because they look a little over sized. I may file them down and try them again...or not. The deck lid still won't sit right down even with the air cleaner and plug wires out of the way. I will have to file a flat spot on the fan shroud I think to clear it.

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG