Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

8 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

I make the tubes by cutting strips to the size I want.  I use a paper guillotine to cut them straight and parallel. I then glue them together using steel parallel blocks to hold them at right angles. If you look back into previous posts on this thread you will see how I do it.  There are some tube sizes available from Evergreen and Plastruct, but just not what I needed.  

Thanks for the info!! Great work!!

15 hours ago, tbill said:

Will we see the roller on the end of that boom eventually? Lol. another fantastic creation from your bench, looking good Tom!

Ha! You'll see it right after I do! Haven't gotten to that yet, but is soon to come. Going to make the sheave soon, as well as all of the boom guides and rollers, cable guides, winch, hydraulic piping, counterweight etc. Seems like there is never an end in sight! After that, install the powerplant, drive shafts, make the steering work, the outriggers, the operator controls, the cab, the engine compartment, all of the hydraulic lines and valves, and ...., and ...., and ....!!!!!

Edited by redneckrigger

Here is the boom end block, with details from the Galion parts book.  Made my own pulleys by punching out discs, using empty cartridge cases as a punch, and gluing the discs together.  The whole thing, tiny as it is, is made up of over fifty pieces. Will add some more details to it later.  

IMG_9414.JPG

IMG_9415.JPG

IMG_9416.JPG

IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

IMG_9421.JPG

IMG_9420.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

IMG_9424.JPG

IMG_9425.JPG

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

IMG_9429.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

6 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Love the engineering that goes into making this model!  That is a lot of the process of scratch building; working through the "how to's" before setting glue to plastic.  It is also a lot of the fun, figuring out just how it will be done so it looks right in the end.  Great work, Tom!

Thanks for the good words Charlie! Means a lot to me! I stay awake at night thinking of the steps needed to make a tiny piece.  It's amazing how it gets into your head. I have probably 300 kits waiting to be built, but they may not........it will be a letdown after the scratch builds I've done in the past two years.....all inspired by your great work!!! Already thinking what the next build will be.....!

Edited by redneckrigger

Just started the counterweight.  Since it is a very heavy casting, I started by laminating several pieces of .080 styrene together which will then all be glued together and then shaped as needed.  Also put the winch together which will have a mount made for it to mount inside the counterweight against the back of the main boom.  Seems like it's never going to end, but, for as much fun this kind of build is, that would not be a bad thing! 

IMG_9436.JPG

IMG_9434.JPG

IMG_9435.JPG

This has been one incredible scratch build to watch. I am in awe of the skill and effort taken to build this piece of machinery! Much like watching Charlie build one of his outstanding fire trucks, this is one that is full of learning and admiration of the passion to assemble something likely never to be kitted or duplicated!

Finished up the counterweight by gluing the laminated sections together, shaping and then filling with auto body spot putty.  I also reworked the winch to resemble the actual one by cutting cooling fins into the gear housing. Then I attached the letters onto the counterweight as this is a huge cast piece.  I converted the Moluminum powered steering axles to working steering.  I drilled out the knuckle ball and then used small plastic spherical craft beads and drilled them and attached to the axle ends.  After drilling the knuckles and pinning in place, they made a great looking steering axle. It's definitely getting there one piece at a time!

IMG_9438.JPG

IMG_9439.JPG

IMG_9440.JPG

IMG_9441.JPG

IMG_9442.JPG

IMG_9443.JPG

IMG_9444.JPG

IMG_9454.JPG

IMG_9455.JPG

IMG_9462.JPG

IMG_9476.JPG

IMG_9495.JPG

IMG_9496.JPG

IMG_9497.JPG

IMG_9499.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

IMG_9501.JPG

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9506.JPG

IMG_9507.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

On 7/31/2019 at 11:46 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Wow, but, Lots of work. Interested is the Steering opposing or unisyn   like this / / or \ / ?

greg

The front axle is controlled from the steering wheel. The rear axle is steered by a hydraulic valve with a control lever independently from the front axle. The rear can be left straight, steered conventionally like four wheel steering or steered crab style.  There is a red warning light in the cab that indicates when the rear axle is not in the straight ahead position.