Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

I drilled the cast in knuckles out with a regular drill bit, deep enough to accept a new ball.  I then found a package of plastic craft beads at Walmart. These already have a hole drilled through them. I simply drilled another hole at 90 degrees to the existing hole, but only until it intersected the original hole, not all the way through. Then it was simply a matter of orienting the ball in the knuckle with the original hole vertical with the pivot point of the knuckle and drilling a hole in the top and bottom of the knuckle to line up with the hole in the ball.  I then glued the ball to the metal rod in the end of the axle housing using the hole I drilled part way through.  Then I installed the knuckle and pressed a styrene rod into the top down through the ball and through the bottom of the knuckle.  Made a pretty good and extremely easily done working approximation of the real deal!

IMG_9495.JPG

IMG_9496.JPG

IMG_9497.JPG

IMG_9501.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

On 7/22/2019 at 10:32 PM, redneckrigger said:

Just started the counterweight.  Since it is a very heavy casting, I started by laminating several pieces of .080 styrene together which will then all be glued together and then shaped as needed.  Also put the winch together which will have a mount made for it to mount inside the counterweight against the back of the main boom.  Seems like it's never going to end, but, for as much fun this kind of build is, that would not be a bad thing! 

IMG_9436.JPG

IMG_9434.JPG

IMG_9435.JPG

Are those spring loaded or have a ratchet like grip(like pumping handles)? The ones I have the handles have to pump like a caulk gun.

Worked on the outriggers tonight. Got all four of them made up with the pivot bushings and made the pads as well with the pivot bearings and caps and bolts holding them together. Did a mockup of one of them to see how it works. Just need to make the cylinders now.  Also installed the winch and the bolts holding it in place. Put the bolts on the turntable support and the boom support too. Also installed the bolts that attach the counterweight. The counterweight won't be installed until after all of the piping is done. The painting on this build will be done in many subassemblies and then assembled because of the complexity. Really is an adventure! Starting to look like something!

IMG_9526.JPG

IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

IMG_9549.JPG

IMG_9540.JPG

IMG_9541.JPG

IMG_9550.JPG

IMG_9551.JPG

IMG_9552.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9554.JPG

IMG_9555.JPG

IMG_9556.JPG

IMG_9557.JPG

IMG_9558.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Now you've gone and done it.  I had to bring out my Kleenex while looking through this build. Your ability to take plain unassuming styrene pieces and turn them into works of art makes me want to cry.  This is some awesome work and your vision is beyond reproach.

Made up the outrigger cylinders today and installed all of the 43 bolts that hold the turntable to the deck. Here is a shot of all of the subassemblies so far.  Next big things to do are the engine enclosure, steering cylinders and operators station and cab. 

IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

IMG_9566.JPG

IMG_9567.JPG

IMG_9568.JPG

IMG_9569.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

IMG_9571.JPG

IMG_9572.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Now that I have the cab roughed in, I am racking my brain to figure out a way to make the window glass rubber moldings. The windows do not have sharp corners, but have a radius to them. I have tried various things so far to get a half round molding to go around the opening with a radius at the corners, but nothing has looked right so far.............................

59 minutes ago, tbill said:

What about using actual rubber? Bike tube or the like? 

Fantastic work so far!

I thought about that but haven't figured out how to get it in the half round shape.  Might try to make a mold in clay for each window using a piece of wire half way into the clay and pour resin in it with a wire reinforcement in it.  Lots of ideas, lots of time!

I've used styrene half rounds for trim that had probably the same needed radius on corners. I would use liquid plastic glue and do in short sections about a half inch or so. I just lay the strip down and touch with small glue brush. For the radius I'd put son glue on and it bends easily around the radius and sticks. It may be tough controlling the edge you need with half the half round sticking out from the edge. Might need a bit oversize round but it is industrial.

here's a few pics of how much the rounds bend with a little glue softening ..

image.png.1a5f887a0ca93e80edd881042154cc42.png

image.png.d10e0c4b702d7ebee27e8b384595158d.png

These taillight shrouds were made with half rounds the same way, bending around the taillight lenses

image.png.6ec2fd338fa40bc7aa88809344c73d67.png