Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

1 hour ago, Foxer said:

The window gasket did good, but oversized. Having to have a lip for the glass made that method impractical for looks. Charlie's suggestion looks great .. and so well explained.

This keeps looking better and better.

You are so right, Mike. Charlie should write a book.................it would be a best seller for sure!

5 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

You are so right, Mike. Charlie should write a book.................it would be a best seller for sure!

Charlie is such a wealth of information for our hobby!! If only he could find the time to write a book and share his knowledge

?  Surely you guys jest!!  Trying to share it as I go!?  Truly there are many good ideas out there that lots of people have posted.  And it does not depend on the nature of the build.  I have been "encouraged" by my wife to build her a model of the Canadian schooner "Bluenose".  Some of the things that are basics to truck and equipment building actually work there as well.  Your own experiences are the best teachers because you know from first hand knowledge what works and what does not.  Maybe we should all collaborate on that book! ?

I will definitely try this way of doing the window gasket on my next scratch build, I used this system to make the head light surrounds on my scratch built MARMON cab leaving the surround square but never thought to work it like you suggest for the windows, I found that trying to bend the half round around the corners of the windows with liquid glue sometimes made the plastic more brittle and then they broke ( I probably used too much) aventually I managed to do it by partly warming the plastic and the liquid glue as well but it seemed very hit and miss, its great to watch builds like this as you can learn so much, it really is a great forum, a great big thank you to everybody who share's there builds and idea's here.

I would think that this build is definitely going to be a show winner!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally got back to the bench.  Life interfered last month in a big way with a vacation and then the passing of an old friend and then my Father-in-law and I just didn't even get within 20 feet of my bench. But, got back at it tonight. The operator's cab just had too many issues to please me, so into the scrap bin it went, and this is Act 2 of the cab.  It looks so much better, at least to my eyes. 

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

4 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Fantastic work !!! 

Theres another brand excavator parked near home they've been using to clear brush along the road I'd love to build. Definitely would make a great conversation piece 

Grab yer camera and snap a hundred or so photos! I try to do that every time I see an interesting piece. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get to build it, but, hey, you never know~!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I seem to have gotten by the last month of builders block due to life events, and am now finally getting somewhere with the operator's station. Got the hydraulic controls, levers, dash and seat all finalized.  Lots of tiny details to add but it's finally getting there.  The new cab was definitely worth doing and looks like it is supposed to.  Made the control levers from telephone wire with epoxy dipped knobs. 

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

That's one slew of levers!  They all metal or have plastic handles?

I also really like the seat with the squashed tube ends for bolting!

I looked back at the start to see if you posted any interior photos, but what got me is you mentioned Crane Operator Al Scalise. I have ridden on his bucket a few times to inspect a structure, long ago when we could do that! I just saw him a few weeks ago ... was before me getting a haircut from his daughter Brandi. He's a great person.

Edited by Foxer

The levers are telephone wire with epoxy knobs. Lots of them for sure.  Four outriggers, rear steer, swing, low line speed, intermediate line speed, main boom extend, aux boom extend, boom raise/lower, on the floor is rear drive selector, forward/reverse, throttle and gear selector, e-brake,  foot controls are brake, inching control and accelerator.  It can get REAL busy in there!

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Since this not only has full four wheel hydraulic steering, it also has conventional mechanical steering on the front axle, so just added that too.  Added the gauge bezels to the dashboard, will apply decals and epoxy lenses after paint. Guess it's just about time to start installing all of the hydraulic lines.......probably going to be a mile of 'em! Here's a mockup of progress so far.

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger