Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

Well, it's about to the time where I have to do the piping and figure out the proper order of paint vs. assembly.  So, here's a photo of what I have so far, and my punch list which will undoubtedly have a few detours along the way. I had to make a choice of making it look like it had been repainted along the way, and all of the hoses got painted too, or install the hoses after it's painted. I am going to shoot for paint, then do the hoses. I hope to do very minor weathering but not a lot. Also shown here since I didn't really do a good job on photos when I built it, is the boom and all of it's sections. This shows the extension cylinders, their attachment points, and gives a better idea of how it works, exactly like the original. The main boom has the cylinder inside, underneath section 2.  Section two extends from the main.  Section 3 has tandem cylinders, one atop the other, one extending out each end of the section. It pushes itself out of section 2 and pushes section 4 out of itself. The cylinders inside sections 2, 3, and 4 are hidden when assembled. A lot of the hoses are hidden within the frame and boom, but I'm going to make it look as true to the original as I can. 

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Added the lower half of the hydraulic swivel joint and all of the fixed piping to the chassis today, this will get painted.  Added the hydraulic motor for the boom swivel and all of the control hoses. Still have to add the flexible hoses for the steering after paint. Now it's on to the boom and the fixed piping there.  One step at a time!

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Installed the boom swing swivel joint and the hard piped portion of the hydraulics for the winch, winch brake and the crowd cylinders. All the rest of the piping will be flexible hose after paint. On to the cab window gaskets and door hinges and tons of small details seemingly everywhere, and then the power plant details, and wheels and then paint! On a roll now! 

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Amazing!! From the level of detailing to the way you keep notes.

Thanks Dennis......................I used work for a very large construction company and used to run the shop where we rebuilt heavy equipment in the winter time. From rust repairs to dump body rebuilds and complete teardowns and new cabs on Mack trucks to repairing rolled over cranes and everything else in between. The best way I found to make sure everything got done in a timely manner and in order was a punch list. When I ran my own body shop we used the same method. I guess some things just can't be forgotten! And, even better, it works!

Edited by redneckrigger

Being in on the real stuff definitely helps.  It's those little details that make the difference and sometimes being on the inside is the only way to know about them.  I found that works on building fire apparatus.  Where stuff goes and how it is supposed to function goes a long way.  Fine piece of work, Tom!?

I continue to be amazed at your level of scratchbuilding.  This machine and the roller are pieces of art.  One question, and I know you are still in the building process, I noticed there does not appear to be any drag-links to the axles for steering or am I just not seeing them?  Really looking forward to this beast getting some paint on it.

7 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I continue to be amazed at your level of scratchbuilding.  This machine and the roller are pieces of art.  One question, and I know you are still in the building process, I noticed there does not appear to be any drag-links to the axles for steering or am I just not seeing them?  Really looking forward to this beast getting some paint on it.

There is a drag link to the front axle, shown in one of the previous posts, as it has a mechanical link to the steering wheels. It also has hydraulic steering. The rear axle is either locked or allowed to steer hydraulically. None of the steering cylinders have been installed yet. It can do conventional four wheel steer or crab style steering.

Started making the window gaskets tonight.  Got three of the seven done which is about all my hands can take in one session, but they are exactly what I hoped for.  Charlie, (Chariots Of Fire), gave a great tutorial on how to make them, and I kind of modified the method a bit.  I made a template from the window opening on card stock. The I cut it out smaller than the opening, transferred it to .030 styrene, cut the opening, and then cut the whole thing out as a gasket, larger than the template, resulting in a great gasket. I then rounded the edges. I plan on painting the cab, painting the gaskets black and then attaching them with CA cement to the opening, and then attaching the glass from behind. So far so good! This was the part of this build that had me most concerned, but I think it's going to be great.  And a TREMENDOUS shoutout of thanks to Charlie!

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

IMG_0895.thumb.JPG.cf11dd426c67de0a318252951693312b.JPGFinished making the window gaskets.  Now I have to see if I trust my painting abilities with a tiny brush so I can attach them before I paint the cab and then paint them black later.  I feel a lot better about attaching them that way, but my hands shake so bad.....!!?? Also hinged the cab doors and started the latches. The farther I get with this the tinier the parts get!

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

On 11/6/2019 at 6:45 AM, Foxer said:

Those gaskets look great, Tom!

I should have shown you how I shrunk the window on my VW bus ... same method looks like, only my gasket went inside. ehhe

Nicely done Mike! Got any more photos of that build? Looks great!

Edited by redneckrigger

9 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Nicely done Mike! Got any more photos of that build? Looks great!

The hinges look good, I know what you're saying about the parts getting smaller as you go ... it's an addiction we both have to do it all!  eheh

There's a thread here to my VW Kombi build. I's a 1956 VW Kombi Bus that my Dad had and what I learned to drive on! My Uncle used it as a school bus previously. I's still waiting for a repaint after I cut and moved the molded in rear door hinges up a quarter inch ...  see, we are both addicted.

Hey, Tom;  Just a hint on those gaskets.  Use a Magic Marker to do the black after you paint.  You don't have to do the whole thing, just the inside edge and a bit of the flat area.  The marker helps you hold a nice straight line around the perimeter.  You might have to go over it more than once but the effect is worth it.  I used one on the trim around the windshield on the IH Loadstar.068.thumb.JPG.cde9aaeb557ecb42744a5fa4c9d88e01.JPG