Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

Spent some time adding details. Ā Added grab handles to the cab, hinges and handles to the fuel tank and battery access lids, installed the engine, added fuel lines, coolant hoses, fan and shroud,Ā radiator cap, air filter, door stops, mirror brackets, head and tail lights, made the exhaust system, (the muffler Is notĀ hollow, but it's filled with a clear lucite rod to make it solid.....it just is an illusion),Ā Ā cable retainers on top of the boom, LOTSĀ of nuts and boltĀ details to the axles, turntable, swingĀ gearbox and everywhere else that looked naked, hook travel tie down, hydraulic and fuel tank drain covers, hydraulic fill cap, and a LOT done on the punch list! Getting VERY close to paint now! There will be a LOT of subassemblies to paint separately then a lot of assembly time but the light at the end of the tunnel is actually visible! Guess it's time to mix some Galion yellow paint!

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Of course, there's always that one more detail to add..........gotta keep the lowlifes out of the tool boxes! Ā HaspsĀ and locks. Ā A true test of patience! Add a couple steps and a drip edge on the cab and a boom angle indicatorĀ and I THINK I've got all of the details done!

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

13 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Padlocks!! Really?! WOW!!Ā  Awesome work! In all your scratch building!

Yup, and believe me, I seriously had second thoughts when I decided to try them! They surely gave my arthritic fingers a challenge, but, they came out well enough to at least be recognized as what they are supposed to be! Thanks!

The only problem with getting NEAR the end on this one is deciding what's next! Finishing a build that has stalled, or somethingĀ new???!!! Got the Eager BeaverĀ detachable neck lowboy to finish, a paver that is just a few manuals and dreams, an M52 five ton military truck, or any one of a dozen other dreams in progress! Perish theĀ thought, but outĀ of the box has become boring!

Edited by redneckrigger

I can't wait to see this in yellow!

Ā 

You mention a 5-tom Army truck as a possible next ... Those have a place in my heart because of my time in the Army as a Pershing Missile Crewman. This was a 3' diameter, 34' long missile that rode in containers on M54 5-Ton Trucks and was passer to crewman for assembly with a 5-ton Wrecker. These wreckers were pretty awesome trucks ... much more that just the plain trucks.

Ā 

image.png.7b233ba599e1d9ef507875219f22d3ca.png

Ā 

8 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

The only problem with getting NEAR the end on this one is deciding what's next! Finishing a build that has stalled, or somethingĀ new???!!! Got the Eager BeaverĀ detachable neck lowboy to finish, a paver that is just a few manuals and dreams, an M52 five ton military truck, or any one of a dozen other dreams in progress! Perish theĀ thought, but outĀ of the box has become boring!

I'm not sure if I find them boring but the scratching sure is fun. The dio allows me to dabble in many things but stick to a theme. I always wanted to do a pipelayer out of theD8. It has been done before. I should look for some manuals and get at it.

15 hours ago, Foxer said:

I can't wait to see this in yellow!

Ā 

You mention a 5-tom Army truck as a possible next ... Those have a place in my heart because of my time in the Army as a Pershing Missile Crewman. This was a 3' diameter, 34' long missile that rode in containers on M54 5-Ton Trucks and was passer to crewman for assembly with a 5-ton Wrecker. These wreckers were pretty awesome trucks ... much more that just the plain trucks.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The five ton military truck would be another real big project, though my inspiration is Charlie Rowley, (Chariots Of Fire), who made a beautiful brush fire truck build of one. I had an M54 for years, and parted ways with it when I closed my garage. It was a VERY handy truck that was just about indispensable around the shop. I have one of the old Renwal/Revell ones in 1/32 scale that could be scaled up rather easily, but, haven't made up my mind what will be next! Gotta get the yellow onto this old girl first!

Edited by redneckrigger

4 hours ago, landman said:

I'm not sure if I find them boring but the scratching sure is fun. The dio allows me to dabble in many things but stick to a theme. I always wanted to do a pipelayer out of theD8. It has been done before. I should look for some manuals and get at it.

My SOP is to get the manual for ANY of the off the wall builds I attempt first............both operator's and parts manuals. They are priceless when trying to do something like this. I also try to find a real one to photograph and measure. And, by the way, I LOVE your engines and your dioramas....................something I have always wanted to attempt, but just have not pulled the trigger on yet.