Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galion 12 1/2 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Crane

23 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Aw man, Jeff, did ya REALLY have to post that photo???? THAT looks very interesting! Maybe time to hunt down some manuals.............................!

I knew you'd appreciate it  !!! That's how my squirrels get me side tracked . If ya want more info or pics let me know . I can swing by anytime before the snow gets deep

That has been one fantastic build from the first pic to the last.  Congratulations, Tom!  One question.  Did you ever take a count of the total number of pieces of plastic that it took to do all that work?  ?

PS  If you ever decide to the M54 don't use the Renwall 1/32 one to scale up.  It's not even close.  Let me know if you need dimensions, however.  I kept a complete set of notes and sketches of the one I built and I have some reference materials from the technical manuals for the truck.  I'd be glad to share them with you.

3 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

That has been one fantastic build from the first pic to the last.  Congratulations, Tom!  One question.  Did you ever take a count of the total number of pieces of plastic that it took to do all that work?  ?

PS  If you ever decide to the M54 don't use the Renwall 1/32 one to scale up.  It's not even close.  Let me know if you need dimensions, however.  I kept a complete set of notes and sketches of the one I built and I have some reference materials from the technical manuals for the truck.  I'd be glad to share them with you.

I will do that with the M54 Charlie thank you! I have kept a rough total and it is well over 1000.  But I think I will try to get an accurate total.  Thank you for the good words.........you have been my inspiration as I never once tried a scratch build before that roller.  It is fun that cannot be beat!

Assembly starts tomorrow night.  Needed to exercise patience to let the paint dry so I don't mess it up with fingerprints.......hard learned lessons from times gone by!

Edited by redneckrigger

In case you are wondering what an M52 looks like here is a photo of the model prior to adding all of the fire fighting details.  The fenders have been "bobbed' because of the way the sides were ultimately built.  Originally the fenders had a vertical section at the rear that dropped to the level of the running boards.  This happens to be a 1957 Diamond T that was originally a tractor with a 5th wheel.1200237131_1135.jpg.9667d4722207d279f780dd3c2877663f.jpg

694467497_1136.jpg.66b167dbc7e564095a458fd4a525e2b7.jpg

9 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

In case you are wondering what an M52 looks like here is a photo of the model prior to adding all of the fire fighting details.  The fenders have been "bobbed' because of the way the sides were ultimately built.  Originally the fenders had a vertical section at the rear that dropped to the level of the running boards.  This happens to be a 1957 Diamond T that was originally a tractor with a 5th wheel.

THAT is such a superb build you did, Charlie..............I want to make one up as an M54 wrecker, or as an M52 with a tank on the back, to replicate one we built for our fire department with a 2800 gal tank, square dump discharges, etc. It was a 1961 Mack. Or, to be the 1962 M54 I had at my old shop, which was a Reo as well. So many projects, so little time!

Got the lower chassis all done, exhaust installed, wheels and tires on, mirrors installed, head and tail lights installed, fan belt and fan shroud installed, decals all installed, boom sections assembled, and here is what it looks like so far.  Still have glass to cut and install, doors to mount, boom hoses to attach, winch piping and cabling to do. Then some light weathering and she's done!

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

On 11/22/2019 at 11:11 AM, gotnitro? said:

I knew you'd appreciate it  !!! That's how my squirrels get me side tracked . If ya want more info or pics let me know . I can swing by anytime before the snow gets deep

Hmmmmm.......look what just appeared on my bench.......! Harbingers of things to come?????

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

1 hour ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Fantastic job, Curiosity has this cat wondering what is on the lowboy back in the distance on some of your shots? Isn't that a grader already?

greg

Yup, a Cat 12 made for me by a friend of mine, John Alan Nelson.  But since I have a thing for Galion, if I do one it will be a Galion for sure!

Dont forget the oil and coolant before ya fire that engine up the first time,  dont want to seize it up after all the work  !!! 

Awesome job with every little detail. 

I spy another project afoot ! Those graders are impressive machines , wish temps were warmer to spend more time checking it out 

8 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Dont forget the oil and coolant before ya fire that engine up the first time,  dont want to seize it up after all the work  !!! 

Awesome job with every little detail. 

I spy another project afoot ! Those graders are impressive machines , wish temps were warmer to spend more time checking it out 

For sure! As a former Detroit owner in a couple different rigs, I know that they like to mark their territory! If they aren't dripping, they are dry!

Not sure what the next project will be, but it's gonna have to go a beat to beat this one for a challenge!

Got the boom assembly all piped up with reinforcing wire armor on the hoses. Assembled the boom and started installing glass in the cab.  Have to wait for the installed glass to dry before I can finish. Now I just have to figure out how to install the cable and make it work properly. I am my own worst critic but I am pleased with this one. 

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG