Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police car fans, check this one out...

This paddy wagon could take you to jail in style!  Or maybe it wasn't a paddy wagon, but a vehicle for hauling the Riot Squad and all its gear.  Or maybe the 1939 version of a SWAT team...

It's a 1939 Packard One-Twenty Police, built on the long wheelbase commercial chassis also used for hearses and ambulances.  I found the pic on Wikipedia and haven't found out much about the real cars.  I have a book on the Henney Motor Company, which built most of the Packard commercial vehicle conversions.  A quick glance didn't turn up any special police versions, just limos, hearses and ambulances. I'm wondering if the owner might have just built his own phantom "police" version out of an ambulance.

Notice all the police equipment: big spotlight on the driver side, amber light on the front bumper, small lights on the roof.  And what appears to be a radio antenna mount on the back of the roof.

Packard_1701_Police_1939.jpg

That car belonged to the Swedish police and was used by a SWAT team.

It had the nickname “Svarta Maja”, Svart is black and Maja is a common female name in Sweden.

Could be translated to Black Maya.

If you search for “1939 svarta maja” on google you will find more photos.

9 hours ago, Pace said:

That car belonged to the Swedish police and was used by a SWAT team...

Thanks!  I did search on Google and found lots of pictures.  A common name for early American paddy wagons was "Black Maria."