Model Cars Magazine Forum

404 Error back again?

Johnt671

12 hours ago, Xingu said:

It never actually went away. We are hoping that the software upgrade fixes it. Dave just has to free up the time to try it again, it didn't take on the first try.

Thanks for the fast reply. i'll keep trying.

• 1 month later...

Weird!

I could have sworn that in my last reply I posted a link to my other post which proves that certain word combinations cause the 404 error, but the link is not there!

Anyway, if you want to learn more about the weird 404 error behavior, read the post linked to below and several following posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Started getting ERROR 404 yesterday replying to Under Glass post. Both Microsoft laptops affected but not iPhone. Let's see if this post works.

This obviously worked. Weird !! ??

Tried doing the Under Glass post again. The previous unsent reply was no longer there so things were longing good but got 404 ERROR again

Edited by Phildaupho

• 2 months later...

I hadn’t been plagued with this in the past but had two posts with photos give me this error this morning.

i recently saw another phenomena. I was always able to copy a photo from Fotki and paste it into a post.  When I do that now I see the photo like normal but others said my post had no photos, just odd code where they should’ve been.   

Then when investigating I opened my post and saw those photos were in my post but not in the photo upload tray below.  So now I copy Fotki photos to my Irfanview in my laptop and then copy them to the post. That seems to fix it.

I’m working on a Windows 10 laptop with Chrome browser 

5 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

We finally fixed an underlying server problem last night. It might change the behavior.

If you encounter a problem, please record the date, time, and your timezone and send them to me. 

48 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Even I can't post any pictures to my thread.  Can somebody fix the glitch in this system, please!

Have you tried since Dave posted. If not you need to pm him with the requested info.

I just now had a 404 error replying to a post in the Lounge. I went back and tried it again, this time deleting my normal winky smileycon, and it posted just fine. 

Yesterday or the day before, had the same thing happen--a message refused to post several times until I deleted the smiley, and then no problem at all. 

In my quest to fix the original 404 problem, I had our hosting company fix a problem with the server software. That brought a bunch of security rules online, and we keep tripping over some of them. I've fixed what I think are the most troublesome ones. Please either post here or send me a PM if you encounter the problem again. 

Thanks,
Dave

Interesting.  I started having the 404 error while trying to post last night, and even got locked out of the website for few hours couple of times.  That was when all I was posting was the word "test".  This whole computer world is getting way too complicated. Bring back the old-school BBSs!  Text only baby - no viruses or malicious code.

EDIT: this is the text which I thought caused the 404 errors:

Then there is "stellar".  There is also "stellar".

2nd EDIT:

Um, it works tonight - so whatever was being done last night was causing my problem - not the above sentences. Good!

Edited by peteski

21 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

If you encounter a problem, please record the date, time, and your timezone and send them to me. 

10:17 AM, EST. Thread about "tubing notching".

Photo from this site, uploaded by me from my own files on another thread, failed to copy, hung indefinitely, could not cancel the photo copy, and could not complete the post. Though the photo was uploaded as a jpg, the box indicated the "hung" copy was a png (and I have no idea if that's significant).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy