Model Cars Magazine Forum

404 Error back again?

Johnt671

4 hours ago, W-409 said:

I've had exactly the same problem as Peter described above on this thread: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/146006-66-amc-marlin/

I sure hope this issue gets fixed, otherwise I'll need to find some other forum where I can post these "General interest-models", meaning all other than Traditional Hot Rods, Customs or Race Cars (which is mostly what I build)...And I don't want to do that.

I'll get this fixed. Now that our backup drive is replaced, it's back at the top of my list. It took a long time to find the root cause. But now that I have it, I should be able to modify the rules so they don't bother the forum. 

As it has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, the most likely explanation is that some words in the text of your post are tripping the SQL injection  filter which is supposed to prevent hacking attempts, but seems to cause lots of grief for the forum's members.  The error is generic on purpose.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 2:50 AM, ATHU said:

I keep getting that 404 screen showed in Bills72sj's post above when I try to reply to a PM from another member. After some attempts it seems like my IP gets temporarily banned. A bit frustrating.....

Sounds like a security rule. We're working on getting those figured out. This is like learning a whole 'nother language. 

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Sounds like a security rule. We're working on getting those figured out. This is like learning a whole 'nother language. 

There is another currently active (and even longer) thread about this problem.  There, Matt posted a link to a list of SQL commands which are likely triggering the SQL Injection Filter which causes all these problems.  If someone is having the problem, it would make sense to look at the command words listed on that site and see if your post contains one or more of them. If it does, try to misspell those words or break them up somehow. Maybe l i k e   t h i s. That will not awaken the dreaded filter and allow you to post your message.

Here is Matt's post which had the link to those forbidden words.

Too bad that this thread cannot easily be merged with the above thread, but I really don't think that would work.

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just got a 404 when I tried to post a short paragraph in the "questions" section, with a link. One line included the word < s e l e c t >. I removed the word, and the post went through.

Approx. 9:11 AM EST, Jan. 08, 2020

Yup, that is one of those "magic" words. Unfortunately.  You could have left that word in your post, and like here, just separated all the letters with a space.  It is a pain, and is silly, but it is a valid workaround for the forum's overly sensitive "nanny filter".

5 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have been having 404 error issues with sending PM's to different people.  Each one of them have involved some part of a trade transaction.  Is there a list of the "offensive" words so I can communicate without having to go the email route?

Look at my post, 3 posts above yours.  There is a link to a post in another similar thread which then has a link to page with SQL commands.  Some or most of those words will likely be flagged as possible SQL injection attack and you will get the dreaded 404 error.  I haven;t tried to use all those words (there is a bunch).

Yesterday afternoon and through the evening, I tried to add a medium-sized, complicated but benign post to the board (*see "Only 96 Left!"), probably a dozen times, but was met with the evil, dreaded 404 roadblock each time.  Out of frustration, I finally dug back into previous posts and found the two 404 threads and read through every word. I re-examined my message and found that naughty word 's-e.l- e.c-t' in the message text.  I replaced it with the word "choose" this morning, and voila' . . . it worked!

Thank you Ace-Garage Guy and Peteski for the tip!  Cheers and Happy New Year, my friends!

Now I just have to sit back and see if anybody else can see the post and whether the hotlinks actually work.

Happy New Year to all! 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I still have this issue. Just tried to post a new project thread in Drag Racing Models section and all I get is the same 404 error every time. Hopefully this will get fixed at some point, it's really annoying...

Sorry for anyone who would have been interested in the Golden Commandos '65 Satellite project...I'll try posting it here when it's finished, the project thread will be on other forums.

12 hours ago, W-409 said:

Looks like I still have this issue. Just tried to post a new project thread in Drag Racing Models section and all I get is the same 404 error every time. Hopefully this will get fixed at some point, it's really annoying...

Sorry for anyone who would have been interested in the Golden Commandos '65 Satellite project...I'll try posting it here when it's finished, the project thread will be on other forums.

Just like with everybody else, your post most likely contains one of the "tabu" words which are being quarantined by the website forbidding you access (that is what 404 error can indicate).  We have been discussing this for some time in this thread.  You need to figure out what word in your post is causing the problem and change it (or modify it to look like this: s-e-l-e-c-t .

On 1/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, Danno said:

[...] I re-examined my message and found that naughty word 's-e.l- e.c-t' in the message text.  I replaced it with the word "choose" this morning, and voila' . . . it worked!

Thank you Ace-Garage Guy and Peteski for the tip! [...]

I'll be d***ed, I had that evil word but spelled $e1ection, changed to 'choice' and got it posted!  Thank you for your comment.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

Just like with everybody else, your post most likely contains one of the "tabu" words which are being quarantined by the website forbidding you access (that is what 404 error can indicate).  We have been discussing this for some time in this thread.  You need to figure out what word in your post is causing the problem and change it (or modify it to look like this: s-e-l-e-c-t .

I see what you mean. Yesterday I read through my post and it had no words "from" or "select", which seemed to cause issues (though this post went through easily with both of those words in it :wacko:). But despite that, my post yesterday didn't go through anyway.

I'm tired of messing with this issue, so I'll just post my builds on other forums then. If this problem gets fixed at some point, I could post something again.

Edited by W-409

from select

Hmm. . . in this order, I can post those 2 words, but if I reverse their order I get dinged with a 404!  Although, as computer language goes, that make sense.

Unfortunately I suspect that this new "feature" is here to stay - we are just getting too afraid of the world around us.

Edited by peteski

That's too bad, this would be a good site to share projects as we have lots of members in here. But that 404 error makes it very tricky, and a project thread with no descriptions is just a waste of time for everyone.

I'll probably try to post finished models in here when  I happen to finish something. But for now, I'm not going to tease myself by trying to post any projects.

Let's try.... Select from          Seems to work in here.

Edited by W-409

6 hours ago, W-409 said:

That's too bad, this would be a good site to share projects as we have lots of members in here. But that 404 error makes it very tricky, and a project thread with no descriptions is just a waste of time for everyone.

I'll probably try to post finished models in here when  I happen to finish something. But for now, I'm not going to tease myself by trying to post any projects.

Let's try.... Select from          Seems to work in here.

Ok, this is getting weirder and weirder.  I just don't  know anymore. It really is too bad that we have to put up with this craziness.

Select from

passes the filter but when the "s" is not upper case, the post gets rejectes.

Edited by peteski