Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cheap and easy enamel stripper.....

I have this dollar store degreaser that I bought from the advice at a mountain bike forum for a cheap and effective chain degreaser. So today I thought I would give it a try on removing paint from some wheels I painted on my latest build. Here's a picture of the bottle:

Orange-Degreaser.jpg

And it's only a buck!

If you compare Easy Off's MSDS to this, the CAS number is the same.   Easy off has btw 2.5 - 10% Lye, the orange cleaner has .5 - .8%.  Quite a difference.  

But all of the little ingredients probably contribute to the removal of the chrome.   But will it cut the lacquer undercoat on the plastic?  Hard to tell from the photos.  Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.  I've about quite stripping chrome.   I mostly dull coat it and paint over from there.  Usually ends up with some sort of  less chrome metallic finish in many cases.   And I don't have to deal with Easy Off.

Interestingly, Awesome products took over an old funriture plant here in Mt Airy NC and manufactures here.  Among many places I'm sure.