Model Cars Magazine Forum

Donnie Allison Mercury Cyclone II - Coke

whatisdeletrazdoing

Hi everyone,

Here's a build I finished up a couple months ago but neglected to post photos of. It's Donnie Allison's 1969 Mercury Cyclone II. Or sort of. He never drove the flat-nosed Cyclone II, just the "W" nose. But I only realized this halfway through the build and decided to just finish it as-is. 

It's the Polar Lights re-release from a couple years ago and goodness was it a lot of trouble! The chassis fit was poor, engine details were soft, and of course it wasn't even the right car. Not wanting to waste too much on a kit that isn't up to par, I built this out-of-box. One nice thing about this kit is that you get 2 full engines. I went with the 427 and added the 429 to the spare parts bin. The red is Tamiya acrylic flat red shot through my airbrush, and the gold is a Mr. Color lacquer that is just stunning. I used Testors Ultra-Gloss Clear (I think). I used the kit decals and they were very nice. The chrome pieces were too bright, so I sprayed some Tamiya TS-79 semi-gloss clear over them. 

Despite all the issues, I enjoyed the build and am pleased with the result. And as this uploads I think I'll go pour myself a glass of Coke...

Thanks for looking,

JakeIMG_2102.thumb.jpeg.15c83105bb60e9842fbed4f07badfd97.jpeg

IMG_2100.thumb.jpeg.ee0623473d75f74b8a45ea7a7fb3ea0b.jpegIMG_2098.thumb.jpeg.148862b74a059ffd1e2929d30ece8e1c.jpegIMG_2105.thumb.jpeg.88fd530cd31b1ccd62e78f921678f7a5.jpeg

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.46a2250da5460a11d2ef7435c73eae7f.jpeg

Beautiful build but I'm a little confused about the Bobby Allison livery.  Did this model start as a Donnie car and you finished it as a Bobby car. Maybe I missed something in the write up for the build. Again, very nice build.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, MarkJ said:

Beautiful build but I'm a little confused about the Bobby Allison livery.  Did this model start as a Donnie car and you finished it as a Bobby car. Maybe I missed something in the write up for the build. Again, very nice build.

Oh whoops, I just got my brothers mixed up and put the wrong one in the title!