[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
69NovaYenko

Effective Paint/Decal Stripper

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

II have been used Testors ELO paint & decal remover. It does a great job. However, I fell asleep one night and left a body in my stripper tub overnight.  To my horror when I retrieved it from the ELO bath the next day I discovered it had not only removed the old layers of paint/decals it had started dissolving the leading edges of the fenders and rocker panels. Additionally, the plastic body seemed a bit brittle afterwards. It was like I had acid dipped a 1:1 car body and left it in the soup to long. So I am seeking recommendations for an "EFFECTIVE" paint/decal stripper that wont have an adverse chemically reaction with my plastic bodies or parts. I`ve had suggestions ranging from Simple Green, Super Clean and Purple Power to using cheap brake fluid as a good plastic paint/decal stripper. Also, do all the above work well stripping lacquer as well as enamel paints without damaging plastic. Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks one and all in advance for your feedback.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Testors ELO is the best decal/paint stripper made for its intended use. What you described is self-inflicted damage, Greg. It specifically states under "TO REMOVE COATINGS":

3. Repeat as necessary - DO NOT IMMERSE.

That says it all. Read the instructions if you're not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Got you..always learning.

As I said I fell asleep..so it on me for sure.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Easy Off oven cleaner in the yellow can. I've let stuff soak for a couple days with no adverse effects. It strips chrome quickly too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can put your body in Super Clean on New Years day, and retrieve it the following New Years eve and it won't damage the plastic in any way, shape or form.

If you're looking for a safe, effective, no muss, no fuss paint remover, there is nothing out there that will beat it!

It might not work on everything, but if you have any kind of coherent painting regime whatsoever, it will become apparent rather quickly whether or not it meets your needs.

I use almost exclusively automotive paints and primers, (ie, Duplicolor, MCW, Scale Finishes) and while it might take a few days, I never have problems stripping these paints.

I also never have to worry about any damage to the plastic whatsoever!

Super Clean will also strip chrome in a matter of minutes and most enamels just as fast.

What gets lost in a lot of these discussions is the importance of the substrate, (primer) that you use.

I hear a lot of complaints about difficulties with stripping Tamiya lacquers, but I guarantee you that if you use a primer like Duplicolor, the paint over the top of it matters very little when it comes to stripping it.

 

 

 

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chlorine bleach will also strip chrome as quickly as a pack of hyenas stripping a zebra carcass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You can put your body in Super Clean on New Years day, and retrieve it the following New Years eve and it won't damage the plastic in any way, shape or form.

If you're looking for a safe, effective, no muss, no fuss paint remover, there is nothing out there that will beat it!

It might not work on everything, but if you have any kind of coherent painting regime whatsoever, it will become apparent rather quickly whether or not it meets your needs.

I use almost exclusively automotive paints and primers, (ie, Duplicolor, MCW, Scale Finishes) and while it might take a few days, I never have problems stripping these paints.

I also never have to worry about any damage to the plastic whatsoever!

Super Clean will also strip chrome in a matter of minutes and most enamels just as fast.

What gets lost in a lot of these discussions is the importance of the substrate, (primer) that you use.

I hear a lot of complaints about difficulties with stripping Tamiya lacquers, but I guarantee you that if you use a primer like Duplicolor, the paint over the top of it matters very little when it comes to stripping it.

 

 

 

Steve

 

I just switched over to Super Clean. I always had good luck with Purple Power but it wasn’t working well on the ones I have in there now. Paint from the 70’s I guess. Do you strain it? Or just leave it be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I just switched over to Super Clean. I always had good luck with Purple Power but it wasn’t working well on the ones I have in there now. Paint from the 70’s I guess. Do you strain it? Or just leave it be. 

It depends a lot on what you're stripping.

If you strip a lot of enamel paint, there's not much to strain.

The solution basically totally dissolves the paint.

On the other hand, if you strip a lot of lacquers, the paint will usually come off in large pieces.

I suppose that it would be beneficial to strain out these larger particles, but in general, I just leave it alone.

But then again, I don't strip a lot of paint.

Possibly 4 or 5 models per year.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Chlorine bleach will also strip chrome as quickly as a pack of hyenas stripping a zebra carcass.

Chrome is actually pretty easy to strip with nearly anything. ;)

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It depends a lot on what you're stripping.

If you strip a lot of enamel paint, there's not much to strain.

The solution basically totally dissolves the paint.

On the other hand, if you strip a lot of lacquers, the paint will usually come off in large pieces.

I suppose that it would be beneficial to strain out these larger particles, but in general, I just leave it alone.

But then again, I don't strip a lot of paint.

Possibly 4 or 5 models per year.

 

 

Steve

I do more than that per year. Sometimes per model. Lol. The bunch in there now the paint dissolved and came off in large pieces. Guess I better strain it. 

Edited by ewetwo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Chlorine bleach will also strip chrome as quickly as a pack of hyenas stripping a zebra carcass.

Agree. You can almost watch it come off. Ammonia will do it, too, on many platings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Agree. You can almost watch it come off. Ammonia will do it, too, on many platings. 

I observe the same thing with Super Clean.

I recently dropped a bunch of chrome parts in a mason jar full of it on my bench and then proceeded to do some other work for a short time.

Within 15 minutes, I had the parts in the sink rinsing them off.

Clean as a whistle. ;)

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Funny, there is a lengthy thread on various paint strippers, yet it seems that about once a month we start a new thread on this old subject.  In my 40+ years of model building experience I can tell you that one thing is for sure: there is no single perfect (and safe) stripper for stripping paint from Polystyrene and/or resin model kits.  Different brands and types of paints are affected differently by various stripping solution. By the other token, some supposedly safe stripping solution can and will attack plastic or resin.  Paint stripping is not an exact science - it is more like alchemy. ;)  So if you want a universal paint stripping solution for all paints, and safe for all plastics and resin, you better find another hobby.

Edited by peteski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, SfanGoch said:

Chlorine bleach will also strip chrome as quickly as a pack of hyenas stripping a zebra carcass.

The shiny stuff comes off quickly, but it will barely touch the clear lacquer under coat. It's the same with most 'recommended' chrome strippers. There is little point in stripping the shiney stuff if you can't remove the detail hiding clear under coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I follow up with Testo....er, Rustoleum :D ELO. No soak, just brush on. Clean as the proverbial whistle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bainford said:

The shiny stuff comes off quickly, but it will barely touch the clear lacquer under coat. It's the same with most 'recommended' chrome strippers. There is little point in stripping the shiney stuff if you can't remove the detail hiding clear under coat.

I've never had an issue removing the under coat with Super Clean.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Snip

Edited by martinfan5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've never had an issue removing the under coat with Super Clean.

 

 

Steve

I for most don't have issues either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I hear a lot of complaints about difficulties with stripping Tamiya lacquers, but I guarantee you that if you use a primer like Duplicolor, the paint over the top of it matters very little when it comes to stripping it.

 

 

 

Steve

 

Super Clean removes Tamiya primer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Super Clean removes Tamiya primer.

Then I'm not sure why I have heard some people say that Super Clean won't touch Tamiya paint.

If the solution will dissolve the primer like it does Duplicolor, all that's needed is for the Super Clean to be able to get to the primer and the paint will peel off.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got this one from eBay:

62dart1-vi.jpg

It had this thick yellow paint, complete with a "bubble" finish:

62dart2-vi.jpg

It spent two weeks in a brake fluid bath, and then started to peel off:

handrailyellow-vi.jpg

It came out like this:

62dart3-vi.jpg

62dart4-vi.jpg

These two pics are before I did the final clean up on the body and hood.

I now use Super Clean, but in years past I used brake fluid and never had a problem with the plastic taking primer and paint afterwards.

Edited by Bucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now