[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
youpey

Moebius Ford pickup without warped hood

Posted (edited)

Is there a list of which of the moebious Ford pickup trucks do not have the warped (Ill  fitting) hood

I bought 2 and they both fit terrible and I am hesitant on buying others until I know which ones are corrected 

Edited by youpey

from 69 to 72 F-100 it's a crapshot, although I build 2 of the 72 Custom versions & the hoods fit better than most....:unsure:

I've heard a lot about the warped hoods on these kits. I guess I got lucky....the '69 I built fit just about right:

DSC01848-vi.jpg

I have the '70, '71' and '72, but I haven't checked them to see if I have warped hoods in those boxes.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:22 PM, youpey said:

Is there a list of which of the moebious Ford pickup trucks do not have the warped (Ill  fitting) hood

I bought 2 and they both fit terrible and I am hesitant on buying others until I know which ones are corrected 

My cab and hood were really bad on my 71. The roof of the cab looked like a bird bath. I tried hot water, hair dryer, and nothing worked. It was to the point that I had nothing to lose. I used the stove top and turned one burner up on high. I started with the cab and held it at a slight distance above the heat. When the plastic got just soft enough to work with I reshaped it. Don't get the plastic too hot though and be careful not to get burnt. Both the cab and hood turned out fine this way.

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

My cab and hood were really bad on my 71. The roof of the cab looked like a bird bath. I tried hot water, hair dryer, and nothing worked. It was to the point that I had nothing to lose. I used the stove top and turned one burner up on high. I started with the cab and held it at a slight distance above the heat. When the plastic got just soft enough to work with I reshaped it. Don't get the plastic too hot though and be careful not to get burnt. Both the cab and hood turned out fine this way.

i had tried this as well, but i over cooked it and it shrunk. 

i am not going to buy any kits where there is the possibility of having do this to get it right. kits are too expensive anymore, the QC should be better.  I appreciate companies coming out with these truck kits, but if they look bad out of the box, its not worth it to me

The hood issue is really two-fold.  I have some hoods that themselves are legit warped, and some that are straight. But secondarily the "1st Gen" '69-'72 kits also have one of the most lackluster hood fitting systems I've seen.  It just hangs out, there's nothing to retain it in place, which makes it not want to fit correctly even when the hood and cab are straight.  Mercifully the 65/66 hoods are shorter in length with the way the cab is designed on the 1:1 so there's a front edge to keep the hood from slip-sliding around.  The glass also fits from inside, and I think anyone who has all 5 of the 1st kits can find at least one that the glass was rather iffy fitting from the outside.