Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super glue question

This is why I buy superglue in the 4-little-tubes-for-$1 pack at Walmart or the Dollar Store. When a tube starts to go bad, or glues its own cap on so tight it can't even be cut off anymore, on to the next one! 

I DO pay extra for the LocTite Super Glue Gel, though, and ask for it by name. It's worth it--clearly superior to the no-name stuff. 

I have been using Lepages super glue (gel). The thing I like the most about it is the tabs on the side of the bottle to squeeze it out. I recently bought some Gorilla super glue (thick) that has a brush and nozzle applicator. Well the brush is HUGE...and the bottle is made of such thick plastic that I can barely squeeze it out of the nozzle.:blink:  I also have some thin stuff I bought a long time ago that just runs out of the nozzle when I tip the bottle making it pretty much un-useable. That said, I have limited success with CA. I can prepare two glue joints identically and one will hold and the other not, even when using kicker. I don't know what I am doing wrong except maybe using a tad too much CA?? Rant over!:angry:

I usually by the Loctite stuff at Walmart. I'm not averse to using the cheap stuff from there, either. Somebody mentioned theirs being too runny to use--get some old plastic lids (like on a coffee can, or a Pringles can), and apply a few drops to its surface, then apply that to the model. I use a straight pin with the head removed, then glued into a small wooden dowel. I would HIGHLY recommend against EVER applying super glue straight to the model, from the bottle/tube.

Edited by Straightliner59

Gone the way of the dodo and half-dollar piece. BTW, you'll be hard pressed to find any new stuff under the Testors name. Everything is being rebranded as Rustoleum. I noticed that when i checked the labels of new paints I bought.

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Where do you buy this?

I dont, I Googled it after reading your comment " 495 is not cheap "  and one of the results showed it for $28, I didnt do any more research on pricing after that.

Edited by martinfan5

I use Loctite PROFESSIONAL from my walmart, blue tube with red/white letters, and for some silly reason its in the arts and crafts section, 4.95 a bottle. It normally last a long time, but I got a couple a while back that i had to take back because it was thick. Turn the bottle up and make sure its thin.  On a side note, I used the gorrilla before, but found the loctite has a lot more in it for about the same price.

5 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I dont, I Googled it after reading your comment " 495 is not cheap "  and one of the results showed it for $28, I didnt do any more research on pricing after that.

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Check Home Depot. That's where I get Loctite Super Glue Gel Control if I need it.  For $2.98, not $28. $28 isn't the price for a single .14 oz. (4g) bottle. That's the price of a 12 pack.

A friend gave 2 1 oz  bottles of sample to me. The 495 Is industrial strength. I think it's made in Irlland. It was med thickness. I don't know if I will like Loctite Jelf...

16 hours ago, Deuces said:

Ummm.... What ever happened to good ol' Testors????.... ?

I have a tube of it I bought in the '70s, still unopened. That's how long it's been since I've used "tube glue." Since then I've been using liquids, CAs, white glues, and epoxies. I don't miss the tube stuff AT ALL. 

I posted this on March 16, 2018 regarding storage of CA adhesives:

Contrary to what the rocket scientists swear by, storing opened bottles in the fridge is a bad idea. Cyanoacrylate polymerizes in the presence of water. The opened bottle contains air, which contains moisture. The humidity of air already brings a sufficient amount of water for cyanoacrylate to polymerize.  When cooled, the moisture condenses and contaminates the CA, drastically shortening its shelf life. Store your opened bottles in a glass (preferably a mason jar with a rubber gasketed screw cap) or metal container with a screw on lid. Place a couple silica gel bags inside and place the CA in the container. The silica will absorb the moisture and keep the CA from deteriorating. I have 6+ year old bottles of CA stored this way and they are still good. Every month or so, take the silica bags and toss them into the oven, heating them at 225° for 15 minutes to remove the absorbed moisture.

Not knocking you, Ray. Just trying to clear up a commonly repeated misconception.