Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Her name's Christine"

Dave McFly

I was cleaing out my work bench storage cabinet and I found one of my 58 Plymouth Belvederes. I am in the process of making Christine as she is all fixed up by Arnie not the original owner. I have the interior all done, used the DVD as reference ;). the chasis and most of the drivetrain is done too. to duplicate the 'dual quads' I am using the intake manifold and the carbs and the dual air cleaners from the 57 300C but the carbs wil be attached directly to the intake instead of those strange things that connect to from the carbs to the cleaners as they look in the 57 300C. I will post photos later today I need to get some batteries for the camera.

Edited by Dave McFly

i thought the movie version of christine was a fury ?

i know the book was a belverdere though

did you ad the door locks ?

Stephen King's Christine

Although the 1958 Plymouth Fury is identified as the car in John Carpenter's adaptation of the Stephen King novel Christine, two other Plymouth models, the Belvedere and the Savoy, were also used to portray the malevolent automobile.

Several statements about the car in the book version were factually incorrect for the 1958 Fury, referring to features that were found on the Belvedere model and not on the Fury. Some of these include:

"rear doors" (Christine is referred to as a four-door, but the Fury was only available in a two-door model until 1959)

the automatic transmission (called a Hydramatic in the book—a GM transmission; Chrysler Corporation transmissions were called TorqueFlite)

"gearshift lever" (refers to the transmission shifter; all 1958 Chrysler automobiles with automatic transmissions used push-button drive).

Another slight inaccuracy was shown in the film version of Christine: In the scene where Leigh Cabot chokes on a hamburger, Arnie is locked out of the car and can't help her. The door lock button clearly goes down by itself, yet these cars did not have lock buttons. They required the door handle to be rotated counter-clockwise to lock them.

However, the author did note that Christine was "a special order", which could explain these inconsistencies. Also, since the car is possessed by a supernatural force (the previous owner in the book and an unknown force in the movie) it is possible that the car could do just about anything it (she) wanted.

in the book the car was referd to as a "FURY" but custom painted in 'Autum Red' a ford color. in the movie it is only refered to as a Plymouth note there is NO FURY or BELVEDERE markings on the rear fenders near the fins. they only said PLYMOUTH on the deck lid and in the hood emblem. my model will be true to the movie car, I have removed the BELVEDERE scripts from the rear fenders. and as soon as i pick up some BMF i plan on doing the chrome air cleaners and valve covers. Oh and my model WILL have the movie accurate CQB 241 california plates on both ends of the car <_<.

15g8rcg.jpg

i made my own using the acme.com/licensemaker i then used paintshop or photoshop to remove anything besides the state and the plate number. the picture looks kinda pixely blown up but when it is shrunk down to fit the 1/25 scale it looks like one that would come with a model kit. as for the color it will be just red, i just have not picked out the brand or the shade. I saw a testors color called German Red which looked like Guards Red that looks very close to the 1/1 car color <_<.

cant wait to see this build.

next you should build the version of before arnie got it

B) i would LOVE to do that version but it is just not my thing. I knew a guy who did the aftermath of the Christine on fire. he did a great job of duplicating the bare metal with black sooty smudges all over it. his was curbside with no interior (which is easy to do when they give you front AND side glass to black out) or engine.

I have to admit it my camera sucks i REALLY need to upgrade it is fine for more far away shots but is ###### when it comes to stuff up close. please excuse the quality of the photos I will take better pics in the future.

first up the NEW plate for the front and rear ends.

2lwpzjb.jpg

I am having a friend of mine edit the 56 into a 58 on the registration year.

christinedashboard.jpg

the dashboard, it is missing the rear view mirror, it is red just like the dash and is in the box. the one thing I LOVE about the model is all the chrome bits are seperate on the dash including the shifter buttons.

christinedoorpanel.jpg

door panel, hard to tell in the image but the bottom edge of the door is flat red to match the 'carpeted' area. and it is hard to tell in the image but the inserts are in dark red just like the 1/1 car.

christinefloorpanel.jpg

the floor panel, in flat red with gloss red for the 'floormat' I am gonna do the other 3 I i only did the one for now.

christinefrontseat.jpg

the front seats in red with dark red inserts, hard to tell by the picture.

christinesteeringwheel.jpg

the steering wheel painted in the correct red and white with the silver trim ring/horn center.

I plan on taking better pictures and will replace them this weekend. I am also doing a 1/18 scale version of the 'car' using this:

58furydiecast.jpg

since this is a Fury and not a belvedere I do not need to replace any of the engine parts i just have to chrome the air cleaners and and valve covers. since this is a 1/18 scale the interior will look very well done when I am done with it :mellow:.

Edited by Dave McFly

not a problem on the 1/25 as it is a belvedere first and a christine second. the fury will have the arials removed and the holes filled in. I am SO glad the 1/18 fury is a later retool that has NO fender skirts. If the 1/18 fury had them on i would not convert to a christine i would simply make it more detailed and match a 1/1 fury.

I was cleaing out my work bench storage cabinet and I found one of my 58 Plymouth Belvederes. I am in the process of making Christine as she is all fixed up by Arnie not the original owner. I have the interior all done, used the DVD as reference B). the chasis and most of the drivetrain is done too. to duplicate the 'dual quads' I am using the intake manifold and the carbs and the dual air cleaners from the 57 300C but the carbs wil be attached directly to the intake instead of those strange things that connect to from the carbs to the cleaners as they look in the 57 300C. I will post photos later today I need to get some batteries for the camera.

I hope you are doing a figure of the mullet-head bully running for his life just ahead of Christine's front bumper! (Loved that part; actually, the revenge on "Moochy" was even better: Imagine being a shitheel, and the Grim Mopar is shearing her fenders to get at you! Closer, with every wedging thrust! Your miserable deeds rush through your mundane mind, 2 more thrusts and the 'Iron Maiden' will HAVE YOU!)

I loved that movie. Anyone that's not a Christine Fan is the "ANTICHRYSLER"!

I hope you are doing a figure of the mullet-head bully running for his life just ahead of Christine's front bumper! (Loved that part; actually, the revenge on "Moochy" was even better: Imagine being a shitheel, and the Grim Mopar is shearing her fenders to get at you! Closer, with every wedging thrust! Your miserable deeds rush through your mundane mind, 2 more thrusts and the 'Iron Maiden' will HAVE YOU!)

I loved that movie. Anyone that's not a Christine Fan is the "ANTICHRYSLER"!

B)

B) Dave, you REALLY otta make the headlites work, just ta blow some minds! I like it, it looks like Christine.But I'd NEVER wanna be on her bad side, she's just too mean Christine!Great job onna great build! :(

funny you should say that george I have the ProShop version of the kit and it is pre painted in red with a white roof. I blacked out the windows in it and will be making the head AND tails light up on that one. I will have the batteries (underneath) and the on/off switch on the base. I have the movie soundtrack (the one with the songs) and I am gonna convert them to MP3 and have them play on my cheapie MP3 player.

hey anybody here know how to use BMF to foil things like the air cleaners and valve covers? i remember an article in SAE years ago and they were using BMF to make a chrome air cleaner and valve covers on a 409 V8 on a story on detailing engines. i do not remember the issue so i cannot find it. if anybody here has done that type of BMF let me know and how do you do it?