Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevy Camaro

Cpt Tuttle

DSC01574.JPG.f1cb32ec21215206231937469701ec9c.JPG

AMT old tooling. I think that a gen 2 requires the ducktail spoiler, but the one supplied in the box was looking like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, so I cut one out from a 1978 Monogram that I'll probably never build (I don't like post 1973 Camaros). Needed some work because of the difference between 1:24 and 1:25 though. Maybe not 100% authentic but better than the one in the box. Also, I shaved the side markers for a cleaner look.

I like the idea of the bigger spoiler. I bit of useless information on the '70 Camaro spoiler. The '70 model year only had a very small spoiler and they started the larger more common spoiler with the '71 model year cars.  

14 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Yes, but since I am not building this one stock, that doesn't matter in this case. Anyway, the spoiler in the box are looking like some cross between the small and the large one, and the fit is horrible, so.....

The larger rear spoiler was desperately needed by Jim Hall for the Trans Am program. Only reason it was available as a factory part was it had to be "homologated" as a regular production option so the TA guys could use it. 

Thanks, didn't know that.

DSC01580.JPG.d1b1f2470e99d5cb0926bbe17dd59d3c.JPG

Green interior, I have memories of having seen a similar colour in an 1:1 Camaro years ago, feels very period correct at least. The Grant steering wheel is from the AMT Chevy Van and I also scratch built an indicator stalk on the column since there was none in the kit.

Humbrol #159 "Matt khaki drab" and #85 "Satin coal black", and Testors "Chrome silver".

DSC01583.JPG.b2b260bf87f49cf1173616a1e40ed583.JPG
The body is painted now too, I sprayed the metallic green over flat black and I have a Mustang where I have sprayed the same paint over white (to mask off the Shelby stripes), at least I think that there is kind of a difference between them, the Mustang is clearly green and doesn't change very much depending on the light, the Camaro is almost black when looked upon in normal light conditions but when it's close to a light source you see a very nice green shimmer from the metallic flakes in the paint, kind of a cool effect actually. But it needs some wet sanding and polishing.

DSC01643.JPG.7096c6f6aa4251a80f86ddb32d110311.JPG
Even though I like the classic 70s stance with raised suspension in the rear, I decided on a lowered suspension all around on this one, with meaty low profiles in the rear and a little bit more humble dimensions up front. The wheels are from the AMT Chevy Van.

Edited by Cpt Tuttle