Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where are all the built up kits???

So I am building for guy that pays me to build for him.  Kinda sweet deal.  Wish I could make real car shop rate...  But when he tells me about a kit he might want me to build, I look it up on the net.   Tons of most everything for sale on ebay of course.   But where are the built ups?   And threads about the build.  

Example, last night I was looking for johan 1931 Cadillac stuff.  A few but not a lot - I expected more.   Recently was looking for Lotus Esprit - even less, especially on the Turbo US version kit.  This is net wide, not just MCM, which I always read when I see a post in my search.   

I know guys here don't build every kit ever made and post photos/opinions.   But I would think there would be more out there.  Or are my expectations too high?  I'm trying to contribute more of late especially when I see a lack on the net.  Bujt I don't build as fast as I used to.

I guess I am expecting too much really.   But hey, someone out there wants to know.  If you're building something, post up!  And if you find a tip that will help, even better!  

On the good side, the net has really expanded research photos for most every car ever made.  I have not been disappinted there.  No reason to not know how something really looks on a model

Hey, the older I get, the more hte stock builds appeal to me. 

And I may have to eat some words.  By clicking around, I found MORE Lotus stuff by accident.   I was looking for real refernce and stumbled on to a built up thread on a british site.   Then there was a "see more" option which came upwith a LOT of links.   So.... I may be at fault.  It is harder to find stuff using phone.  I don;t have a PC or laptop at home and wouldn't have that at bench anyway.   

I look more at Under Glass now anyway.  Unless it's a specific project.   AI feel like a lot of workbench cars never get finsihed.   Some of those are pretty intense ideas.  

I look a lot but don't always post a reply.   Wish there were a thumbs up reply.

I guess I was a weird kid.  I liked building stock more than I did the custom, though I'll still do the occaissional hot rod.

Stock builds and well done traditional builds are what usually get my attention.  Someone does a stock classic car build in On the Workbench, and I will follow.    Same with Under Glass.

All the muscle cars tend to blur together.

As for comments, if it's something really exceptional, I'll say something, but otherwise, I tend to be quiet.

4 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I guess I was a weird kid.  I liked building stock more than I did the custom, though I'll still do the occaissional hot rod.

Stock builds and well done traditional builds are what usually get my attention.  Someone does a stock classic car build in On the Workbench, and I will follow.    Same with Under Glass.

As for comments, if it's something really exceptional, I'll say something, but otherwise, I tend to be quiet.

See?  Perfect place for a thumbs up.   Exactly.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

I feel like a lot of workbench cars never get finsihed.   Some of those are pretty intense ideas.  

There-in lies my problem. I continuously lose focu…...

What was I saying? Lol.

Seriously though, I have a hard time not jumping from project to project, idea to idea. I have seen that if I post a WIP, I usually don't finish it and I think that can be annoying to some. So, I have decided that for now, I will only post finished projects. Currently working on a 55 Chevy Cameo/ stepside pickup (The bed will be interchangeable between the two styles), a 63 Galaxie early 60's lowrider, and a 70 Boss 302. I also have about 3-5 other projects that are set aside.

Later-

What would happen is that a thread that would normally have 10-15 constructive comments would end up having 2 comments and 30 thumbs up. Eventually, the two folks that posted comments would just start giving thumbs up. The way it is setup now, makes folks interact if they want to say something. Way to easy to just click "Like" and move on. Not that much harder to type out a comment about the things you like about someones build.

8 minutes ago, Xingu said:

What would happen is that a thread that would normally have 10-15 constructive comments would end up having 2 comments and 30 thumbs up. Eventually, the two folks that posted comments would just start giving thumbs up. The way it is setup now, makes folks interact if they want to say something. Way to easy to just click "Like" and move on. Not that much harder to type out a comment about the things you like about someones build.

Welll....okay then.....  That will work.   And between us all, we've hijacked the thread... HAHA. I don;t mind though.   

I'm okay with encouraging people to type out comments, though this has got me thinking I should use more of those tags to ensure that people looking for a particular topic.

Though I'm not sure a week time limit on edits is a good idea, especially on build threads that can go for months, or even years.

11 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

There-in lies my problem. I continuously lose focu…...

What was I saying? Lol.

Seriously though, I have a hard time not jumping from project to project, idea to idea. I have seen that if I post a WIP, I usually don't finish it and I think that can be annoying to some. So, I have decided that for now, I will only post finished projects. Currently working on a 55 Chevy Cameo/ stepside pickup (The bed will be interchangeable between the two styles), a 63 Galaxie early 60's lowrider, and a 70 Boss 302. I also have about 3-5 other projects that are set aside.

Later-

Yep.   I have about 4 "on deck" right now.   I have 3 I am in various stages - 4 if you count the one that just needs exhaust tips glued on to be complete.   Two of the "in progress" have progressed to where it is just the final assembly details.   I have been trying to LIMIT my projects to things I can complete and limit the number I'm working on at any one time.  

I have my settings so I see all posts in all categories with replies I haven’t seen. I like to follow in progress threads for just about any subject.  I build some odd stuff and I’m aware that some folks Just don’t get it.

A person can post photos of an unpainted Camaro or Mustang with wheels posed under it and get a bunch of attention. I think people look at my builds quickly, and say to themselves, “Not a Hemi” and click elsewhere!

29 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have my settings so I see all posts in all categories with replies I haven’t seen. I like to follow in progress threads for just about any subject.  I build some odd stuff and I’m aware that some folks Just don’t get it.

A person can post photos of an unpainted Camaro or Mustang with wheels posed under it and get a bunch of attention. I think people look at my builds quickly, and say to themselves, “Not a Hemi” and click elsewhere!

I understand that.  I have messed around a bit and found more stuff on the net.  But that's sitting at a PC.  Usually when I'm looking on my phone for something, it's a bit harder to get deep into a search.  or it is for me.   And I am often searching while sitting at the workbench or watching tv at night.  We don't have a PC at home and the laptop is old and cranky.  I'm not as savvy as I used to be on technology. 

I know what you mean. When I'm looking at a kit, i'll google search it to see what it actually looks like built, because as we all know, the boxes can be deceiving.

There are a lot kits where i see a ton of box pics, but no pics of actual built models.

Always thought that was weird.

18 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I agree with Richard, factory stock and lately older NASCARS is where my head is.  I also check out the Dio and All the Rest sections, there is some amazing work going on there.

19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I recently spent some time rereading all my old Car Model and Model Car Science magazines from about 1965 to 1972. Articles on building factory stock models were few and far between. The model car scene was all about funny cars, gassers, and other drag cars, and customs, and hot rods, and "street freaks." Maybe that's why about 1969 AMT didn't even include factory stock parts (such as exhaust manifolds) in many of their annual kits. 

While I have most often built models with the theme that "this is how my 1:1 car would look" if it were mine. As time has gone by I find showroom stock more appealing. The hard part there is making it accurate and while rely on my memory for the most part I find getting reliable accurate information harder to find all the time. I have seen so many so called experts get it wrong for a large part of the time.       

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I recently spent some time rereading all my old Car Model and Model Car Science magazines from about 1965 to 1972. Articles on building factory stock models were few and far between. The model car scene was all about funny cars, gassers, and other drag cars, and customs, and hot rods, and "street freaks." Maybe that's why about 1969 AMT didn't even include factory stock parts (such as exhaust manifolds) in many of their annual kits. 

That's the thing. The annuals had pretty much zero interest for me at the time.  I didn't see the point of modeling someting I could see on any street corner, and the simplified construction was really boring to put together.  It was usualy the classic kits, or I'd build the stack version of the "hot rod" kits.  like the Model A, or '36 Ford.

I search a ton of 1:1 photos on google and put them in a file on my PC inside another file that I start for every build. I also search this site for builds as per Bill's advice in the sticky:

"Don't bother with the search function here.

Instead, go to Google in a separate browser window, type in site:modelcarsmag.com, a space, and the the topic you're looking for."

This works for other sites as well. If you find a subject you like on another forum try substituting "modelcarsmag.com" with the other forum name.

Edited by NOBLNG

8 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Unfortunately my building of a kit is so sporadic it would not be possible to do a build thread on them!:lol:

Some where in under glass is a Johan 31 Cadillac that I built.

Just take lots of pics as you go and when it is done start posting them up bit by bit. No one will know if you have been working on it for 2 years or a week!:D

Edit: And that is a very beautiful Caddy!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/134691-johan-31-cadillac-v16-roadster/

Edited by NOBLNG

11 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Just take lots of pics as you go and when it is done start posting them up bit by bit. No one will know if you have been working on it for 2 years or a week!:D

Edit: And that is a very beautiful Caddy!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/134691-johan-31-cadillac-v16-roadster/

That's just it - I forget to take the photos.   And yes, that is an excellent build.   Should be fun when I get to it.  

I am all about building stock , even when I was a kid/teen , it was stock for me, and now in my 30's , its still stock for me.  And in my opinion, its a bit harder if you will to build box stock compared to customs and what not.

I think building box stock is like walking/running/  one should be able to build decent box stock model before moving on to customs and other types of builds, as it will help grow ones skill set, just one needs to learn how to walk before they can run.

At this current time Randy, I have nothing to add to the topic at hand other than, its just one of those things in life that make you go , hmmm.

Edited by martinfan5

46 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I am all about building stock , even when I was a kid/teen , it was stock for me, and now in my 30's , its still stock for me.  And in my opinion, its a bit harder if you will to build box stock compared to customs and what not.

I think building box stock is like walking/running/  one should be able to build decent box stock model before moving on to customs and other types of builds, as it will help grow ones skill set, just one needs to learn how to walk before they can run.

At this current time Randy, I have nothing to add to the topic at hand other than, its just one of those things in life that make you go , hmmm.

I dont; care if it's stock or not.  I do think that basic skills should be learned and improved on continually.  but that's for me.  This is an individual hobby so each of us can build as we please.   I just want to see more of the builds of kits so I can see what's in the box and maybe some good and bad before I get started.