Model Cars Magazine Forum

PICS-The Jada 1/24 '58 Caddy modified.

Geno

I just got it today and I have several more mods to do to it but here's where I'm at so far. Blackwashed the grille, removed the top obviously lol, added a better antenna, the one on the model was a rubber stub. After looking at the body lines for a convertible boot I don't know if there is an existing model that would have the right contour along the edge of the trunklid, any ideas guys? If not I may have to hand make a hard boot for it out of styrene. Size is really about spot on, parked next to my '58 Bonneville convertible it's about an 1/8" longer in length, the Caddy measures 9", the Bonneville 8-7/8" widthwise is almost identical as is ht. just in case you were wondering if it really is 1/24. Plus it's all we have if you want a long sought after '58 in your collection. If you'd like pics of them side by side I can do that too. Thanks for your interest.[;)][:)]

20190622_172853.jpg

20190622_172910.jpg

20190622_172932.jpg

20190622_172953.jpg

20190622_173039.jpg

What did it take to get the top off? Was it a separate plastic unit? It looks pretty good, BTW. Glad to hear that it's true 1/24 or close. 

I saw their '59 Caddy this morning at Walmart. It looked pretty good too, and also probably the right size, but it had giant modern zooty wheels/tires, which anyone wanting a nice '59 Caddy model would have to replace. 

Rich, I had to disassemble it, six screws and it was apart. there are 4 heat melted tabs holding the roof in place, 2 at the rear and 2 in the sunvisors. I ground them off and viola, topless lol.  I will cover those holes in the sunvisors with some black vinyl cut to fit the sunvisors. I do have one of the '59 Caddy customs and it is pretty much dead nuts 1/24 as well. It fits well with my custom car collection.

Go for it Gary, they pretty much nailed it all but the top and some whitewalls. I'm gonna look through my stash for those. I'd love to put some Cadillac wires on it like from an FM '53 Caddy but finding those may be a chore lol.

Yeah, ok, gotta have one!   It doesn't have Caddy scripts on hood and trunk?  In the ebay photos, looks like it has the Caddy scripts.  Just thinking of how hard it would be to repaint in some other color - Lake Placid Blue to match my Strat?  Something 50s "poly"...

Edited by randyc

hmmmmmm, even better.  Maybe.   I usually end up making a mess with MCG parts.  Or launching them into another dimension.   To be found 6 years from now.  But I am working on doing better with tiny stuff.  I got my guy that I build for looking into the car for me.   But that makes it where I could possibl repaint.

How hard did it look to remove all the trim and get down to just the body for a respray?  Standard stuff?  Screws and hot joints?  I also thought about just painting the roof with stainless and leaving it.  But I'd really like it better in different color.  

Thanks for letting me know.

Would the hard cover from your bonneville fit on the Caddy?  Looks like it would be too long from rear of seats to trunk line.  58 chev convertible?  One of hte other 55 - 58 GM diecasts, plastics?  I may have a Trumpeter 60 Bonneville boot.  I used a 59 Chev top on my Bonneville.  And I have seen some resin boots on ebay.  

Looking good so far

You are correct Randy, a few screws and hot melt. Should be pretty simple to disassemble for a respray. I think I'm going to try my hand at making my own boot. I haven't found one with the right contour ahead of the trunk lid.

Somebody in here may have a top boot they'll give you, free.  This board has many old threads about these '58 Caddy kits, and some may be lurking half-built and abandoned in closets or under work-benches.

If you have to buy a kit for the top boot:  those ARII/IMEX/MicroAce '58 Cadillac kits were also re-issued by Lee and Heller. The Lee and Heller versions were motorized, with the rear axle molded in place and a battery box/motor. According to various internet posters, quality slipped quite a bit on those 2 re-issues and they look pretty blobby.

One poster said the Heller kit includes both the boot cover and the convertible up-top. The original issues did not. You got either a top boot, an up-top or a hardtop, and the box art showed exactly what you got.  The up-top on the original issues was a vac-u-formed part.

All these kits are pretty common on eBay for reasonable prices, especially the Lee/Heller re-issues.  Here's an example of an unreasonable price, included for entertainment only:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Ace-1-24-58-Cadillac-open-type-model-kit-From-Japan-F-S/152749260475?hash=item239090bebb:g:a74AAOSwZC1Z6B1K

I received my Jada '58 Cady on Monday and promptly followed Gene's directions and removed the top.  I am also going to replace the antenna as Gene suggested.  Once the top was removed I was surprised to find the girl figure glued to the front passenger seat and had to pry her off and touch up the seat cushion.  I thought I had a convertible boot in the parts box  that would work but alas it is too narrow and too short but I might be able to section it and add some more to it or just carve a new one from Reshape. 

Now the wheels and tires.  In typical Jada fashion the wheels are oversized.  I had a bright idea of painting the outer rim black but that did not work very well, have you ever seen a Series 62 Cady convertible with black walls?  One option I am toying with is to turn the wheels down to the hubcap diameter and fitting a set of wide white walls from a Monogram "57 Corvette kit.  Other suggestion are welcome.

Gary, I think I'm going to go with a set of the wide whites and wires from a Welly '53 Caddy. I think those will look much better size wise and are still appropriate for a '58 and will still fit the metal axles. They can be had cheap on Ebay. I'll put the '58 wheels and tires on the '53 and give it to one of my grandsons as I already have the FM version of the '53.:)

024.JPG

Edited by Geno

I have been considering using the Welly 1953 wire wheels and will probably do that.  The front wheel picture is the Welly wheel and tire leaning up against the Jada.  Since the Welly has a smaller diameter the fender will drop down a bit when installed compared to what the photo shows.

20190626_144541.jpg.0db431618deb80bff618fe86e11acaf1.jpg

The Welly is more like 1/25th scale but I think it will work.

20190626_145109.jpg.ddd9d6714c1f9a461051f4db0342e748.jpg

Cool Gary, the Welly set definitely looks more appropriate and will allow that big tank to sit a little lower which would be more appropriate as well. Please post some pics when you change them, I'd love to see how mine will look. My '53 isn't supposed to be here until mid-week next week. I'll be anxiously awaiting lol. ;):)

I have a Franklin (?) mint that I have $10 in but I fixed it and can't bring myself to take the wheels off of it...   I may see what I can scrounge up in the parts boxes or mods I can make.  but it does need wide whites for sure.

Edited by randyc
spelling

Oh what the heck, I just went ahead and swapped out the wheels.  I may drop the front just a bit but will live with it for awhile.  The challenge is getting the wheels off the axles, especially the JADA.  I ended up nipping off as much of the stem on the wheel as I could reach with my nippers and then pulling as hard as I could.  The Welly wheels will need new longer axles.

20190626_155425.jpg.2c2200e93fe2a62877a995f912676b24.jpg