Model Cars Magazine Forum

PICS-The Jada 1/24 '58 Caddy modified.

Geno

On 6/23/2019 at 2:29 PM, Geno said:

The Caddy and DM '58 Bonneville side by side.

Caddy.jpg

Interesting pic.

So, which one is the correct scale? 

I looked it up and a '58 Cadillac is  just short of 12 inches longer than a '58 Pontiac.  That would be more than 1/8 " in scale,  more like 1/2" wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Interesting pic.

I looked it up and a '58 Cadillac is  just short of 12 inches longer than a '58 Pontiac.  That would be more than 1/8 " in scale,  more like 1/2" wouldn't it?

My guess is that the Pontiac is true 1/24, and the Caddy is slightly undersized at maybe 1/26 or so. Even so, it still looks better than most of JADA's stuff, which is more like 1/22 and looks awful on a shelf with 1/24-25 stuff. 

13 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Interesting pic.

Hi Steve, yeah, that might be correct, it's a small discrepancy to pay just to have a '58 in my collection. If they weren't side by side it's such a small difference you'd never know. Width wise the Caddy is a tad wider just as the real car is, the height is a a bit taller as well but I think that's due to the oversize wheels and tires. I just had to have one though lol. I did make my own boot for it and it turned out great, I'll post pics after I get the wheels and tires swapped.:) I'm glad this model has created some buzz, it's nice to get something different. It's been awhile. So many models have just been rehashes.:o

Edited by Geno

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC the Lee '58 Cadillac was not a re-pop but a mere copy of the IMEX version, at lower quality.

I have two of the IMEX ones, and my impression was that the chassis and mechanicals were quite close in scale to the Revell '59s, while the body was way too wide, even for the stated 1:24 scale.

The Jada '58 Cadillac does look interesting.

35 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

IIRC the Lee '58 Cadillac was not a re-pop but a mere copy of the IMEX version, at lower quality.

Yep, a bad copy.  Lee was notorious for that. They also copied (badly) several Tamiya 1/35 scale military kits and 1/24 car kits. If anyone sees a Lee kit of anything at a swap meet or yard sale, don't waste your money.  I think they're out of business and if so, good.

According to various internet posters, the Lee and Heller '58 Cads were also motorized, which lost some of the rear suspension detail.  I've never seen one, but those posters say the rear axle of the Lee/Heller kit is molded in place, with the electric motor and battery box in the trunk area.

Somebody also posted that the Heller kit had both the top boot and the raised convertible top in the box, but the up-top was soft on detail.  If I saw one of those cheap, I might pick it up just for parts.

• 2 months later...

Ok, bringing this one back up as I have started fooling with mine.   I have the wheels and tires off.   I am working a deal on a 53 to scavenge for it's wheels/tires.  How do the Mint car wheels come off?   I may use the 58 wheels on a 63 Jada Caddy.   Gotta do something.   Still not happy with the red and black.   Would prefer something different, which would mean an MCG set?  IDK where it will end up going.   Also need to dig up my boots and see what might work, if anything.  

35 minutes ago, randyc said:

Ok, bringing this one back up as I have started fooling with mine.   I have the wheels and tires off.   I am working a deal on a 53 to scavenge for it's wheels/tires.  How do the Mint car wheels come off?   I may use the 58 wheels on a 63 Jada Caddy.   Gotta do something.   Still not happy with the red and black.   Would prefer something different, which would mean an MCG set?  IDK where it will end up going.   Also need to dig up my boots and see what might work, if anything.  

The 53 FM wire wheels are 2 piece, an inner and outer rim.  Pop out the outer rim and I remember there were screws holding the wheels to the axles.