Model Cars Magazine Forum

International F-2575 S-Series mobile home toter.

This is a project I started back in the late 80’s. I knew very little about mobile home toters back then. Recently I decided to get it out and finish it and while at it, make it more accurate. This has to led to a complete rebuild. The entire bed, sliding hitch assembly and the extending mirror bar are scratch built built from aluminum, brass and styrene. Still a ways to go on it. It’s going to have a white cab/hood, red mirror bar, bed and hitch assembly. More pics in the in progress album here:

https://public.fotki.com/lotso/ertl-f-2575-s-serie/

05C71282-A767-411E-918E-5FC93BA79E77.jpeg

3032FD43-96B5-4A2F-AF00-CEDC5C6E932B.jpeg

C08C6755-00DC-4242-AD5A-6E4E5AC6346D.jpeg

3620E461-1FAE-4EB7-837A-656B122E75FB.png

418FB087-3081-4352-84CE-D0A636059F06.jpeg

CE9F7899-F48C-4983-9B65-41AC315A0838.jpeg

2C7D4160-BEDA-4A15-B66A-4713123C88F1.jpeg

508FE421-7757-4E15-A29D-8316273F77AB.jpeg

E6EF91FF-D1C6-48B2-A3E4-F834C5C43450.jpeg

Excellent project! There used to be quite a few mobile home plants around here and there are still a few. I see a lot of mobile home toters. I'm glad you posted this one. I like the high lift hitch on it as well. Some guys actually mount fork lift booms to the back of their truck to achieve this. It looks great!! I built one over twenty years ago, but would like to build another one some day.

Your work is well done should be a great final product.  Once suggestion if I might?  Your extended rear view mirror assembly looks quite a bit out of scale.  In comparing it to the photos of the real rig I think it could be made much finer, especially if you are using brass and aluminum stock.  (JMHO:rolleyes:)

8 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Your work is well done should be a great final product.  Once suggestion if I might?  Your extended rear view mirror assembly looks quite a bit out of scale.  In comparing it to the photos of the real rig I think it could be made much finer, especially if you are using brass and aluminum stock.  (JMHO:rolleyes:)

Hi Charles, I agree, it is a bit too big but in trying to build it using smaller materials, I found it to be very fragile. A lot of those mirror bars were/are home made so really, anything is possible in their construction.

I hear you.  Not easy when working with some materials to make it look right when it has to be in scale.  If you've had any experience at soldering brass that might be a good option.  The parts to be joined look easy enough; especially the long horizontal bar and the vertical pieces that hold the mirrors.  

4 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I hear you.  Not easy when working with some materials to make it look right when it has to be in scale.  If you've had any experience at soldering brass that might be a good option.  The parts to be joined look easy enough; especially the long horizontal bar and the vertical pieces that hold the mirrors.  

I have the ability to build much better but I didn’t want this to be a long, drawn out project. My goal was just to finish it, as it was started back in the 80’s but I also wanted it to be more accurate. The hitch and mirrors are the only big changes other than new paint and decals. When I get into really making everything super accurate, I lose interest and it goes back in the box. This Peterbilt 359 that I’m building is a prime example. It was my 2017 New Years resolution to totally finish it! Didn’t happen! LOL  I have a lot of projects like this! I have an issue where I tell myself I’m gonna finish something for sure and then notice something else and jump to it! LOL  Here’s the Pete project:

https://public.fotki.com/lotso/peterbilt-359-project/page3.html

Edited by Ben