Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1953 Bel Air

randyc

Nothing too exciting here.   Just an easier build for me while I'm working on the Lotus for a friend.   The Esprit is kinda intense.   This should be an easy build of a generation of BelAir/Chevy I don't have enough of.  Probably a metallic green with a cream top - not sure on the wheels yet.   Maybe the lowered suspension and  wide whites?  If it will fit.  Just opened the box yesterday.  Maybe a few Custom touches.  Very mild.

These photos may not show but the panel lines and trim is all soft as molded.   The panel lines are barely there - mostly a guide.  Can't imagine painting it this way.  So I'm cleaning up the gaps and mold lines and trim edges.  I have a couple hours in this so far and haven't progressed beyond the trunklid.  Just saying there is alot of cleanup and sharpening to be done.  I think this will pay big dividends at the far end of the build.  I can't see that far yet.  I barely have an idea what color this thing will be.  But my goal is to look at least as good as a "mint" diecast.  In the phtos, the passenger side is the one with the most work.  The driver's side door has had a couple passes with scribing tools (Xacto with a broken tip mostly).  Nice square groove.   Same blade on past 4 builds.   I use dental picks, regular Xacto tip, and a triangular file for the panel lines.   Same for hte chrome trim.  Mark Gustavson recommended scribing the edges of trim years ago and he's really right - it does help sharpen the edges.  

IMG_20190623_172604103.thumb.jpg.cb71b9535598ea55711562b13017fb18.jpg

IMG_20190623_172616711.jpg

IMG_20190623_172622889.jpg

IMG_20190623_172628059.jpg

An update.  Clean up of the body is almost compete.  trim is defined, parting lines removed.   Opened the grill opening to float the grille bar.  Left a little material at end for the grille bar to attach to.  Added a couple of slivers of plastic to the body to make grille fit better and will smooth that out and sand as needed to get the grille shell to fit better.   The parting lines are tough around the headlights and taillights.

IMG_20190626_182906402.jpg

IMG_20190626_182956379.jpg

IMG_20190626_183015967.jpg

IMG_20190626_183058392.jpg

1 hour ago, oldrevellfan said:

wan't to see what's next!

Hey me too!!!  LOL :D 

I may be acquiring leftover parts of a Franklin Mint 53 Cadillac that may donate some parts if they will work.   Which will take it in a whole new direction.   But hopefully I can get more photos over the weekend as I keep moving as I can.  I do think I want to keep the inline 6 with the multi carbs and header.  Maybe some custom wheel covers - I have several sets if they will fit the large tire openings.   Wide whites will stay - may use the lowered suspension options with the wide whites if they will fit.  Big thing is I want to come up with better interior detailing.  That's where the 53 may come in.   But it also has cool bumpers and such.   That deal is waiting to see what's usable and left if I can get  the Caddy.  

So far I'm thinking a green metallic with a turquoise top.  Kinda 50s and kinda modern.  Otherwise stock body unless the Caddy parts will bolt up easily. 

Your build is coming along nicely there, Randy and I thought you might like to see this...... saw this 1:18 scale Sun Star '53 Chevrolet Bel Air diecast for sale at the exhibition venue that I attended last weekend, and it was priced low at only £40.00, which is US $: 50.78 - Myself, I did not buy this one, because 1:18 is not my scale and I had already bought something earlier. I thought it looked a nice model of the Chevy Bel Air at a very reasonable price.

David

100_8079.JPG

2 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

To be honest, I think that the Monogram 53 Chevy has bigger issues than just shallow panel lines... :lol: But I'm sure you can make something decent looking out of it anyway so...

Sure.  But every model has issues.  Just going to build the best I can.   Having fun with it. 

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Your build is coming along nicely there, Randy and I thought you might like to see this...... saw this 1:18 scale Sun Star '53 Chevrolet Bel Air diecast for sale at the exhibition venue that I attended last weekend, and it was priced low at only £40.00, which is US $: 50.78 - Myself, I did not buy this one, because 1:18 is not my scale and I had already bought something earlier. I thought it looked a nice model of the Chevy Bel Air at a very reasonable price.

David

100_8079.JPG

I have a convertible 1/18.  I'll sell it off one of these days after this build is on the shelf.  Those are fairly nice diecasts for their prices. 

Just now, Cpt Tuttle said:

Exactly, that's the right thing to do. A built model is always better than a model in pieces in a box.

I never have bought a model that I didn't intend to build or use parts from.  However, I have bought so many over the years that I accidentally became a kit collector almost.  Lol

I got a little excited and went ahead and painted this morning.  Testors extreme lacquer, I think it is.  Supposed to be paint and primer?  Figured I'd give it a whirl direct to plastic.  I like it!  I did have a few errant gouges show up from my scribing.  That's the bad part of this paint. But it's not a show piece.  

Tomorrow I hope to do the top and inserts in old fashioned testors mm enamel.  50s aqua.  I'll have most of the car complete except interior pretty quick.   

IMG_20190629_101404275.jpg

IMG_20190629_101357539.jpg

On the first pictures that new plastic does look soft..I guess I haven't bought enough newer kits to notice it..Is that something with what we get off the boat?  I like what you've done..Looks very good.Especially like the finish right over the plastic..Turned out wow..Going to be a sweet build for sure..