Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1953 Bel Air

randyc

45 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm surprised that I'm not bothered by this color combination.

Normally I absolutely detest the fact that everybody seems to be on this trend of painting EVERYTHING these bright greens!

But along with the pastel green, it's not terrible. ;)

Steve

Green is the new black, Steve! HAHAHA

This shade of green ain't bad at all, and I like the contrast with the roof!

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Green is the new black, Steve! HAHAHA

This shade of green ain't bad at all, and I like the contrast with the roof!

Don't get me wrong, I love green!

But colors are trendy, and right now it's day-glo green on everything.

Just like other trendy colors over the decades, these bright greens will eventually be old news.

There are a ton of beautiful greens that will never go out of style.

Steve

12 hours ago, Rider said:

Looking good Randy. The colour combo really works

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm surprised that I'm not bothered by this color combination.

Normally I absolutely detest the fact that everybody seems to be on this trend of painting EVERYTHING these bright greens!

But along with the pastel green, it's not terrible. ;)

Steve

Thanks for the compliments.   I have a big part of my collection on display and there is a marked LACK of greens in my collection.  So I am correcting that.   and this green is bright for sure.   I think it will go well in the collection.   And the pastel gives it some extra 50s kick.   

I do have a "sublime" green car or two in the collection - I am a Mopar fan, so it's an easy pick.   I am trying to go with colors that aren't just easy picks.  I like my collection to show off a lot of colors.  And bright colors - I avoid black cars as much as possible - they don't display well in my display (unlighted)

I could build/own this car for real.   Trying to keep it like I would be able to build it for real myself.   Hope to get some clear on it this week so I can do the chrome and see how it's going to look for real.   

Edited by randyc

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

I remember when Dove Gray was all the rage, back in the 70's! LOL

Dove gray will NEVER grace my collection.  Probably no tan, either, other than the Danbury Mint 41 Chevy I have.   I do need a gold car sometime soon.  That might be good when the Revell 69 Chevelle comes out.  Gold, black stripes, some period mags, maybe Torque thrusts?   Yeah I can work with that...  

9 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

On the first pictures that new plastic does look soft..I guess I haven't bought enough newer kits to notice it..Is that something with what we get off the boat?  I like what you've done..Looks very good.Especially like the finish right over the plastic..Turned out wow..Going to be a sweet build for sure..

I'm not sure this is a modern thing - I've had other Revellogram kits with similar plastic "alloy" over the years.   I'm working on a circa 1989 Lotus that is similar plastic.   Seems like plastic alloys are all over the place - from hard and brittle to super soft.   But the tooling on this one may be part of the issue as well.  Just not sharp as some things I've built.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, Cpt Tuttle said:

Hehe, that's exactly like me then.....and I guess many more people on this forum can relate too. :lol:

Amen, stacked in the closet, stacked in my bedroom lol. I'm diggin' the color combo Randy. It works.B)

Edited by Geno

5 hours ago, randyc said:

I'm not sure this is a modern thing - I've had other Revellogram kits with similar plastic "alloy" over the years.   I'm working on a circa 1989 Lotus that is similar plastic.   Seems like plastic alloys are all over the place - from hard and brittle to super soft.   But the tooling on this one may be part of the issue as well.  Just not sharp as some things I've built.

Worst thing I have owned is an early 90s version of the AMT 1932 Phaeton, the plastic was like fudge....

11 hours ago, espo said:

I like the engine you created for this ride.  

THanks.  Straight out of box, using the options included in kit.  Something a little less common for sure.  I should have wired the plugs, but didn't have any black wire on hand.  

That green looks nice on these. Back in my teen years a buddy of mine had a 53 that he got from a neighbor for doin body work on his vette.  He painted it what we always called Genese cream ale green with a white top. Kept the 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree. Set of  aluminum slotted wheels, was a pretty nice looking chevy.

Edited by cheyenne93

1 hour ago, cheyenne93 said:

That green looks nice on these. Back in my teen years a buddy of mine had a 53 that he got from a neighbor for doin body work on his vette.  He painted it what we always called Genese cream ale green with a white top. Kept the 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree. Set of  aluminum slotted wheels, was a pretty nice looking chevy.

Yep.  That's kinda where I am with this.   Remembering things guys might build on their own.  

Time for more photos...

A 60 Chevy Impala donated it's window cranks and armrest.  The arm rest is way incorrect, but I found the in the junkyard, just like a real person would.  Window cranks?  Close enough.  Kit decals for the upholstery.  Foil and Molotow for chrome.  I added the rear view mirror before I put interior in for the last time. 

Hopefully finish it tomorrow or this weekend anyway.  Body is glued on, so we're in the homestretch. Then back to the Esprit. 

IMG_20190705_130902934.jpg

IMG_20190705_131315828.jpg

IMG_20190705_131309204.jpg

IMG_20190705_132646363.jpg

IMG_20190705_132659764.jpg

1 hour ago, jsc said:

That's looking good!  Is that the 1/24th scale?  Seems to be slightly larger than the other ones, but I love that era of car.  Keep up the good work! 

John

Yes the monogram 1/24, most recent issue