Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Li'l Gasser Showrod (showtruck?)

I guess this counts as a light commercial, right?

I've had this thing on my shelf for probably 10 years now...

2v2ESS15Nxue8Lf.jpg

...and while I've never much liked the box art for this issue, but I did enjoy the Li'l Hot Dogger that I just build so I pulled it off the shelf and started to think what I'd do differently to make it a little cooler.  I definitely don't dig the gold chrome pieces, or those cheesy MPC front tires but the earlier issues of this kit had a cooler box art that inspired me to get going on it:

2v2ESSrS8xue8Lf.jpg

First up, I did some digging thru my parts boxes and found some better front tires:

2v2ESSrD5xue8Lf.jpg

Not sure what these are from, but they beat those kit tires anyway!  They're about a scale inch bigger than the originals, but I have a plan for that anyway...

Before starting on anything else I did the traditional first step of any build, gluing the engine halves together:

2v2ESF4Qjxue8Lf.jpg
2v2ESF4F5xue8Lf.jpg

This kit comes with a Ford SOHC, which I'm looking forward to putting together - more on that later when I've actually done some work on it.  I needed to get the block together so I could mock it up in the frame for the next step, so I got it as far along as I needed anyway...

Like all these big long kit frames there were some nasty sink marks along the outer edges, so I got them flat with my homemade popsicle-stick frame-side-sander:

2v2ESSrPFxue8Lf.jpg

There were some prominent ejector pin marks in a couple of spots too, so I just cut a replacement piece to cover them up to save trying to sand in that awkward opening:

2v2ESSrkdxue8Lf.jpg

Much better!

2v2ESFqzzxue8Lf.jpg

The bed needed the same attention, so I did the same to that too:

2v2ESFrR2xue8Lf.jpg

I wanted to drop the front of this thing in the weeds to give it a more aggressive look that how it comes out of the box:

2v2ESSrmrxue8Lf.jpg

So I sliced off the spring perch and moved it up about 8 scale inches:

2v2ESFd82xue8Lf.jpg

Now we're talking!  Before...

2v2ESFdKzxue8Lf.jpg

And after:

2v2ESFyfuxue8Lf.jpg

A quick mock-up of the chassis to make sure the rear suspension would still assemble and have all the wheels touch the ground:

2v2ESF5b3xue8Lf.jpg

And once I knew that was going to work a quick mockup of the cab and tank to make sure that was all still going to fit ok too:

2v2ESF5Muxue8Lf.jpg

More soon!
Edited by CabDriver

On 6/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Dave Van said:

Good start!!! I like this kit and even repro'd the original tires a few years ago......

Ohh, interesting Dave - I have another of these that I picked up on eBay a few years ago and it has a smaller set of black rubber/resin tires and 4 larger diameter ones too, seemingly made from the same material.  Maybe they're yours!

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Ohh, interesting Dave - I have another of these that I picked up on eBay a few years ago and it has a smaller set of black rubber/resin tires and 4 larger diameter ones too, seemingly made from the same material.  Maybe they're yours!

Sounds like them.......are the rears BIG??  I sold 50 sets of them......Seled in poly bag. Thx

On 6/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, Dave Van said:

Sounds like them.......are the rears BIG??  I sold 50 sets of them......Seled in poly bag. Thx

Yeah, the rears are maybe a quarter-inch bigger than the regular slicks that the ones that came with my eighties-issue of this kit...I put them aside as I figured they might be something rare or cool and they definitely didn't look like MPC put 'em in there:

2v2EVsVczxue8Lf.jpg

Haha, amazing!  What a small world!  These big rears are SO MUCH cooler than the ones in the current kit box. 

I kinda don't want to use them because they're so cool - I figured I'd never seen a set before and might never see a set again so I put them aside for something REALLY special :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark!

Got some paint on this thing and started some assembly, so I figured it was time for an update...went with Createx pearl blue for the frame and engine (to kinda replicate the original box-art car):

2v2EhatNWxue8Lf.jpg

Looks pretty with some clear over it!

2v2EhfYZFxue8Lf.jpg

I went with a mix of kit-chrome and various metal finishes for the engine parts - with an aluminum finish for the valve covers to match a 1:1 Ford Cammer engine like this kit has:

2v2ECjYvhxue8Lf.jpg

I drilled out the kit's magneto so I could wire it with some Detail Master wire:

2v2ELwSBqxue8Lf.jpg

And used some micro o-rings and some wire sleeve to make plug boots:

2v2ELwStdxue8Lf.jpg
2v2ELwSRgxue8Lf.jpg

I also added those photoetched Ford badges to add a little detail:

2v2ELwSiqxue8Lf.jpg

Elsewhere, I removed the molded-in shocks from the front axle:

2v2EL3YMDxue8Lf.jpg

And replaced them with some aluminum ones:

2v2EL37vVxue8Lf.jpg

The front headlamp lenses were missing from my kit, so I hit the local Chinese dollar store for some Googly eyes:

2v2EL37Hmxue8Lf.jpg

Sliced the backs off to make dome-shaped lenses:

2v2EL37Qhxue8Lf.jpg

And glued them in place with some Elmer's...the one on the right has been done, the one on the left hasn't yet.  Adds a surprising amount of detail!

2v2EL37cmxue8Lf.jpg

Whilst the glue was drying on those, I primed the tank for the back and hit it with a little Squadron filler to fill the seams (it's such a big part that I wanted it to be as perfect as I could get it...):

2v2ECjYwqxue8Lf.jpg

And gave the tires a good scrub with some 80-grit to get them round, and take that gloss off:

2v2EL379Cxue8Lf.jpg

And then got the wheels mounted in there:

2v2EL37Jgxue8Lf.jpg

More soon, soon as I've done more!

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to try and stick the decals on those chrome side panels that you're meant to put them on - there's no way they WOULDN'T look bad, I didn't think - so I decided to put them on the side panels underneath the tank:

2v2EW9RPyxue8Lf.jpg

I'll need to modify the chrome rail now, but I'd rather do that than have foggy decal-edge over a chrome panel anyway...here they are, still wet:

2v2EW9Ry5xue8Lf.jpg

And I hacked up the original decal's 'NO SMOKING' signs...

2v2EW9sndxue8Lf.jpg

...to make these for the back of the tank...this vehicle DEFINITELY stops for burnouts :D

2v2EW9sRyxue8Lf.jpg

A little clearcoat and they looked pretty good!

I gave the interior panels a coat of Createx dark blue and then gave them a wash to give them some depth, and shot them with some hairspray for a semi-gloss kinda leathery look:

2v2EWZczCxue8Lf.jpg

And it's starting to look like a thing!  Just need to assemble the cab and add all the doodads and it's pretty much there!

2v2EWchAWxue8Lf.jpg
2v2EWchcCxue8Lf.jpg

More soon, soon as I've done more!

A little more on this one...I wasn't super happy with the chrome on the headers/exhaust system, but I really didn't want to strip it and rechrome it and have just that one piece be a different shade of chrome to the other bits...

2v2EWLR6dxue8Lf.jpg

So, I gave 'em some header wrap! :D I know you'd normally wrap the ENTIRE header, but I figured at least it adds a little detail and distracts from some of the lumpy chrome anyway...

2v2EWLR7Nxue8Lf.jpg

Then, flocked the floor, messed with the shifter a little and got the assembly on the cab started...

2v2EWLRDhxue8Lf.jpg

Starting to look like a thing now!

2v2EWLRhnxue8Lf.jpg

Just need to add all the remaining little doodads and whatsits and I can call this one done! :D

• 1 month later...