Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great modelers here..

Well!  I wasn't expecting much attention, but am happy to read of encouragement, which makes me happy.

Guys, I'm a wooden ship model builder at heart.  Big ones, 3 feet and more.   Historical sailing ships, the sails can be raised and lowered, the rigging works….read, Baltimore Clipper!!  For me, the quintessence of sailing vessels.  But I'm also a metal worker by trade, retired nowadays.   I do 1:25 cars, drag racing from the 60's is my theme.  All metal, the body in resin.  I haven't seen much of this on the internet, hence I'm kind of weary of posting.

Here just a view of a motor;

36032101ux.jpg

This one has 385 single parts.  No styrene here, all metal.  

I appreciate the warm welcome.

Mick..

You have to have excellent eyes and very steady hands. This type of building with metal is extremely interesting to me. No way could I do this type of detail and craftsmanship with my eyes and hands. 

Show us some more if you have photos.

You've done an excellent job with the motor and frame.

12 hours ago, retired & glad said:

You have to have excellent eyes and very steady hands. This type of building with metal is extremely interesting to me. No way could I do this type of detail and craftsmanship with my eyes and hands. 

Show us some more if you have photos.

You've done an excellent job with the motor and frame.

Hi Richard.  I can't do any modeling to speak of without a well lit magnifying lamp.  Finally, I found a nice one on eBay, with a circular neon daylight bulb, and 2.5 magnification...for around $40.  Now I can see all I need, and the depth of field is such that I can move around and still remain focused.  The objects are viewed with your reading glasses, or bare eyes.  Regular eyeglasses won't work.  My hands hurt sometimes a lot, some days it works, some it doesn't.  I'm in no hurry, so take it how it happens.  All in all, this model took about 6 months, on and off.  

About the metal casting, I have a buddy who does this for me.  I prepare the styrene-kit parts then send them over.   I receive the parts that were cast, then finish them myself.  Wheels and rear ends, anything that's in a styrene model kit can be re-produced in metal.  Indeed, it is very interesting, I've watched it being done many times, and the result is just killer.  That is, if you want a car in metal, which is not everyone's thing.  I love it!

Here another view of this car as a WIP;

36035207yi.jpg

Mick..

11 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Hi Richard.  I can't do any modeling to speak of without a well lit magnifying lamp.  Finally, I found a nice one on eBay, with a circular neon daylight bulb, and 2.5 magnification...for around $40.  Now I can see all I need, and the depth of field is such that I can move around and still remain focused.  The objects are viewed with your reading glasses, or bare eyes.  Regular eyeglasses won't work.  My hands hurt sometimes a lot, some days it works, some it doesn't.  I'm in no hurry, so take it how it happens.  All in all, this model took about 6 months, on and off.  

About the metal casting, I have a buddy who does this for me.  I prepare the styrene-kit parts then send them over.   I receive the parts that were cast, then finish them myself.  Wheels and rear ends, anything that's in a styrene model kit can be re-produced in metal.  Indeed, it is very interesting, I've watched it being done many times, and the result is just killer.  That is, if you want a car in metal, which is not everyone's thing.  I love it!

Here another view of this car as a WIP;

36035207yi.jpg

Mick..

Thanks Mike for the added photo. I enjoy seeing things different from the normal plastic. It looks like you spent a lot of time on this. Detail is extraordinaire great. 

• 1 month later...

Mike, there are two or three guys on this forum that work is brass and like you, are no slouch at it. Hopefully someone has some of those threads saved and can link them for you. As for me, brass builders make me a little crazy as I have enough issues just working with plastic. ?

Welcome to the forum.