Model Cars Magazine Forum
69NovaYenko

Johan `68 Olds 442_Long Shot

Looking for parts to rescue a BADLY trashed `68 Olds 442 Johan. It appears to have been chopped up by an adolescent in an attempt to build the funny car version of the kit. Looking for  the following parts. Body, glass, hood. If you have any other additional parts I would have an interest as well.

Thanks in advance for looking.

Body, glass, hood? You might be better off getting those parts from a current-issue AMT '69 and adapting them to work with the JoHan '68 pieces. The JoHan '68s are incredibly rare and I can't remember the last time I saw one in the flesh. Good luck with your project--sounds like fun and I know you'll do it justice. B)

They are INCREDIBLY rare!!!

I don't remember the last time I saw one on ebay, other than the occasionally incredibly expensive promo, and it seems that you see nearly everything on ebay at some point.

I was absolutely ecstatic to receive one in a trade a while back!!

No Greg, you can't have mine! :D

It will be my next project right after my '65 Fury project.

Steve

2v2JhMwjgxwUbWP.jpg

2v2JCrGVjxwUbWP.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

They are INCREDIBLY rare!!!

I don't remember the last time I saw one on ebay, other than the occasionally incredibly expensive promo, and it seems that you see nearly everything on ebay at some point.

I was absolutely ecstatic to receive one in a trade a while back!!

No Greg, you can't have mine! :D

It will be my next project right after my '65 Fury project.

Steve

The one you have is Incredibly clean. That should build up nicely. Sadly, the one I have is going to be a tad more challenging to resurrect.

Front windshield cracked beyond repair, A pillars on drivers & passenger sides damaged as well as the vent window frames etc. 

442-68Johan.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko

That is a tough one for sure 69NY. I've been on the hunt for one forever. The last 2 sold on ebay for $400 & $700. 

I bought a 68 conversion kit from Modelhaus before they closed up. Was supposed to work on the AMT '69....not. I did pick up a rough 68 promo that may see the light of day, but it needs a lot of work. 

Another option would be to find an easier to find Johan '69 body and convert it to a 68 with the parts you have.

Good luck on your search.

3 hours ago, 69NovaYenko said:

The one you have is Incredibly clean. That should build up nicely. Sadly, the one I have is going to be a tad more challenging to resurrect.

Front windshield cracked beyond repair, A pillars on drivers & passenger sides damaged as well as the vent window frames etc.

She looks rough!

Might be easier to find a way to transplant a '69 roof onto it and add some vent pillars.

I haven't really tried yet, but the glass from the '69 might work.

Yeah, I got really lucky with a trade with a fine Swedish gentleman on the forum.

It only cost me a couple of partial kits that I really had no interest in anyway, so I felt like I really made out like a bandit!!

I've already started thinking over the 442 for my next build.

First order of business was to hack the cowl and radiator brace detail from the '69 body to transplant into the '68.

Steve

2v2ES31YGxwUbWP.jpg

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

She looks rough!

Might be easier to find a way to transplant a '69 roof onto it and add some vent pillars.

I haven't really tried yet, but the glass from the '69 might work.

Yeah, I got really lucky with a trade with a fine Swedish gentleman on the forum.

It only cost me a couple of partial kits that I really had no interest in anyway, so I felt like I really made out like a bandit!!

I've already started thinking over the 442 for my next build.

First order of business was to hack the cowl and radiator brace detail from the '69 body to transplant into the '68.

Steve

2v2ES31YGxwUbWP.jpg

I`ve done some parliamentary fitting. Overall the AMT `69 seems a tad wide than the Johan `68. The chassis and interior tub from the `69 AMT 442 thought a tad snug will fit the `68 body. The windshield with some finagling will fit as well. However there is no door side vent glass..so you will have to source that from elsewhere. You are correct the Johan `68 for some odd reason is missing the radiator brace detail (could be because of the funny car build option) and the `69 AMT  car will provide that missing  assembly. I hadn't thought of swooping out the cowl assembly, but that might be a good idea. It certainly has more refined cowl vent detail as well as windshield wipers. The molded in tabs that Johan uses for the hood hinges will have to be removed from the Johan hood are the `69 cowl will have to be modified to accommodate the tabs.

Hopefully,  this advance reconnaissance report will help when you start your build. :-)

Edited by 69NovaYenko

2 hours ago, Fish_65 said:

That is a tough one for sure 69NY. I've been on the hunt for one forever. The last 2 sold on ebay for $400 & $700. 

I bought a 68 conversion kit from Modelhaus before they closed up. Was supposed to work on the AMT '69....not. I did pick up a rough 68 promo that may see the light of day, but it needs a lot of work. 

Another option would be to find an easier to find Johan '69 body and convert it to a 68 with the parts you have.

Good luck on your search.

I acquired mine at a garage sale for $1.00. At the time it seem like a good deal but the more I look at it I`m not sure. You say you have seen them on eBay for $400 & $700..sweet Jesus that's so over the top for a kit! Just curious what did the Modelhaus conversion include? And, what were the challenges that you encountered with converting the `69 to a `68?

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 8:12 PM, Khils said:

Thanks for the heads up. I just might table this one and opt for the SMH Resin kit. I only wished the hood was separate. Most likely it was mastered from a promo. But, its a far sight better than what I currently working with.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

54 minutes ago, 69NovaYenko said:

Just curious what did the Modelhaus conversion include? And, what were the challenges that you encountered with converting the `69 to a `68?

It included the hood, grill, grill inserts, rear bumper and tail lights. It wasn't even in the ballpark to fit the AMT 69. Width & height on everything was wrong. After that I picked up the promo & figured I'd use the new Modelhaus parts on it.

51 minutes ago, 69NovaYenko said:

Thanks for the heads up. I just might table this one and opt for the SMH Resin kit. I only wished the hood was separate. Most likely it was mastered from a promo. But, its a far sight better than what I currently working with.

I bought an SMH '70 Roadrunner body (Johan copy) and it was terrible. It looked like it was sand-cast, all the emblems were MIA and what details it did have were super vague. I'll never buy another SMH cast anything.

it was maybe a year ago ( give or take a few months )

There was a decent promo that needed some work sold for about $100 . I didn't think it was to bad. Just isn't all that high on my want list to pony up for one.

Kit,,, be prepared to double that for a decent builder. ....maybe more.

I had a nice body and trim ( it was built on the  funnycar chassis ) I sold maybe 3 or 4 years ago and I think I got over $100 for it on ebay.

Unbuilt I think could go $400 to maybe $500 if the right person wanted it . And the days of most kits pulling that kind of coin have drastically dropped off

10 hours ago, Fish_65 said:

I bought an SMH '70 Roadrunner body (Johan copy) and it was terrible. It looked like it was sand-cast, all the emblems were MIA and what details it did have were super vague. I'll never buy another SMH cast anything.

Interesting. I bought one of their '65 Falcon funny car hoods and was Very Most Way Extremely Happy with the qualtiy. A really nice piece. Haven't tried one of their whole bodies, though. 

9 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

The Welly diecast wouldn't make a good funny car body, but as a casual shelf model, it's not bad at all. Slightly undersize, but the shape is good and it displays well. Since I got mine, I've seen them at Rite Aid for $10 and they are WELL worth that. Here's my writeup of it in the Diecast section: 

I agree...I've bought several bodies from SMH. Only had a problem once! Ron took care of it immediately!