Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rising Sun Oni of Hate in progress

I started this figure a couple of days ago and since there is a bit of interest in mini painting here I thought I'd show how I get there.

I wish I'd taken pics of progress up to this point but as you see here it's been about 5 sessions at the bench, It started primered a light grey almost white since there was red to be painted and it is mostly lighter colors. I used a wash of Carroburg Crimson from Citadel to get the skin recesses filled. Hair and the skulls were then painted. The skulls got a wash from Citadel. Vallejo dark blue was used on the loin cloth which will be washed with a blue and then highlighted and glazed using various shades of blue. I'll post as I go from here on out.

The belly still needs more transition which I will accomplish using dry brush and wash/glaze techniques. I also highlighted some of the red on top using an orange red. I'll amp that up later on as I get closer to the end.

Also, base coating areas that will be gold are best coated light or mid tone brown. Gold just likes going over it without having to fight with layers.

20190625_043520.jpg

20190625_043529.jpg

There is progress. I was working the other night but I had a few beers later and try though I did I messed up the posts so I just ran em aground.

I've finished the transitions and started on the headgear a bit with some orange and yellow. I repainted the eyes white for a lighter wash. I got the belt and loin cloth done as well as most of the gold. I added a wash to the gold but still need to highlight it in the right spots. I got the mouth finished. It starts with a dark pink for the fleshy parts followed by a khaki for the teeth. I then highlight the teeth with ivory for their final color. I also did some red highlights that are very subtle but without them it just doesn't look great. It looks good but as soon as I ran the highlights it was clear the color was more vibrant. I use the base color with a medium to thin it without changing the paints properties. Like a wash in a way but with stronger tint. It's easier to make subtle transitions with.

I have to finish the gold parts and nails and then I'll tackle the glowing sphere. It will be green in the center with blue flames and the palm and bracelet will be awash in the light it casts. It's not hard to do but it takes many layers to build up. I'll show that process as well. I'm still on the fence as to his cape color. I'm leaning towards orange with yellow airbrushed highlights but I'm not certain yet. I follow the basic color scheme of the box art but usually deviate somewhere that I think I like better. I still have to highlight the sash belt but that was is still tacky.

That's all for now.

20190629_213839.jpg

20190629_213851.jpg

20190629_213901.jpg

20190629_213911.jpg

A bit more progress on the Oni tonight. I highlighted the sash belt and picked a color for the cloak. It's a color called Khorne red which is lighter than burgundy enough to still be called red. I painted the back side of the cloak with Incubi darkness which is a dark blue. Got the nails painted and added a wash to them. I finished up the gold but have yet to highlight any of it. I added a crimson wash to the cloak and you can see it wet in the pix.

I need to highlight the cloak but I'll push that back until the flame and weapon are completely painted. It can be tricky to handle as you can imagine so thinking ahead is a must. I think the hair will be the last thing to do aside from the base as this project crosses the finish line. That should be a week away.

20190701_005241.jpg

20190701_005204.jpg

20190701_005155.jpg

20190701_005150.jpg

Thanks guys. I said the same thing as well Ray. When I first saw some really great Warhammer 40K  pieces I thought to myself I could try but I'm not sure I could get there. The jury is still out on that score but I've learned so much about paint and color theory.

Of course drive is a big part of it. Wanting to paint something very well is everything.  And finding inspirational figures goes with that. There are so many on eBay to choose from that you can look for hours and spend as much as you like. I'm restoring an old Aurora Creature From The Black Lagoon for a friend. A couple of years ago I wouldn't even have tackled it. Now it's a walk in the park and it's coming out pretty cool.

Having the right paints is key. It's an investment I don't regret as it's given me hours of joy and rewards me with great little conversation starters.

20190701_150135.jpg

20190701_150119.jpg

20190701_150054.jpg

Did some work on the Oni today. I started the glowing orb process. There is quite a bit of blending yet to go but I've established the main colors. The staff is finished as is the rest of the figure. I did add a blue wash and light grey highlights to the mane after these were taken. The other two were just hanging out in the booth so I shot em.

20190704_231657.jpg

20190704_231720.jpg

20190704_231713.jpg

20190704_231742.jpg

20190704_231747.jpg