Model Cars Magazine Forum

door lines

Good Morning (or afternoon/evening)

Last night i was working on a model that i am painting an off white color (tamiya racing white). I wanted to try to put door lines on it, so i primed the model in white. i painted in the door lines with black wash and then i painted the body the with the off white. The door lines are still very dark black and it looks unrealistic. is there a different order i was supposed to do it in?

I can probably add one more coat, but after that, i will start to lose detail. its a kit from the 80's so the detail is already very soft. 

Thank you in advanced. 

Edited by youpey

With the white color you probably would have been better to use a much lighter wash.  Some will take a bit of the body color, add a touch of black, and make it into a wash.  Most door lines do not appear as actually black, but a darker shade of the body color,

13 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

With the white color you probably would have been better to use a much lighter wash.  Some will take a bit of the body color, add a touch of black, and make it into a wash.  Most door lines do not appear as actually black, but a darker shade of the body color,

do you think that i need to strip the paint and start over, or maybe just add a white wash over top of the black? 

It was a very good coat of paint, so i would hate to have to start over, but i will if i need to. I really want this to look good.

What if you rescribed the lines to remove the black wash?  If the detail is soft to begin with, more defined door lines wouldn't hurt.  After reading and looking at photos of other builds, I am scribing door lines on every build now.  Go gentle so as not to destroy your paint.   Then wash them in again with a different color or black Detailer fluid.  Just a suggestion.  

I ordered some vallejo white wash paint. It says it will come in 2 days. I'm going to first try to put the white over it. If that doesn't work I will try to rescribe. If that doesn't help I will strip the paint as a last resort.  

I really hope I dont have to start over. I dont get many paint jobs without mistakes 

12 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

White seems to be a particular beast as regards panel lines. You can read of my own problems and experiments with them on a '53 Vette here: 

Your first picture is exactly how mine looks right now. 

You might want to try Tamiya's Panel Line Accent Color for your door lines and any other body lines for that matter. I have used their Gray on a White model and it looks very good. They offer several colors and it comes in a small square bottle with a very fine brush attached to the lid. Like you, I have always used a Black wash or a very diluted Black wash. This new product is very thin and just a small dab of paint and this stuff will take off down the line on its own. I suggest using very little in the brush until you get used to how it flows.

25 minutes ago, espo said:

You might want to try Tamiya's Panel Line Accent Color for your door lines and any other body lines for that matter. I have used their Gray on a White model and it looks very good. They offer several colors and it comes in a small square bottle with a very fine brush attached to the lid. Like you, I have always used a Black wash or a very diluted Black wash. This new product is very thin and just a small dab of paint and this stuff will take off down the line on its own. I suggest using very little in the brush until you get used to how it flows.

they have gray, dark gray and light gray. which do you recommend on white?

3 minutes ago, youpey said:

they have gray, dark gray and light gray. which do you recommend on white?

On mine it just says Gray. I didn't even know about the other shades of Gray. No snide remarks from anyone on the shades of grey please. I think I'll pick up some of the dark grey the next time I go to the hobby shop and just see how that would work also. If the dark grey is dark enough it might work better than Black on lighter body colors also. 

14 minutes ago, espo said:

On mine it just says Gray. I didn't even know about the other shades of Gray. No snide remarks from anyone on the shades of grey please. I think I'll pick up some of the dark grey the next time I go to the hobby shop and just see how that would work also. If the dark grey is dark enough it might work better than Black on lighter body colors also. 

i ordered the gray. thanks. i will try that one before the white valejo i got. 

Don't worry about it.

Get some Ceramcoat acrylic craft paint at your local craft store, (Hobby Lobby carries it).

Get some beige that is slightly darker than the body color.

Thin it down very slightly with a little water and flow it into the panel lines.

The acrylic will cover the black and give you a good looking panel line.

any paint that you slop on the surface of the body is no problem either.

Let it dry for a half an hour or so and then wipe it off with a lightly dampened cloth.

I do all of my panel lines with acrylic craft paint this way.

Steve

2v23JgvhoxwUbWP.jpg

2v23cjLCdxwUbWP.jpg

2v29YESwFxwUbWP.jpg

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Don't worry about it.

Get some Ceramcoat acrylic craft paint at your local craft store, (Hobby Lobby carries it).

Get some beige that is slightly darker than the body color.

Thin it down very slightly with a little water and flow it into the panel lines.

The acrylic will cover the black and give you a good looking panel line.

any paint that you slop on the surface of the body is no problem either.

Let it dry for a half an hour or so and then wipe it off with a lightly dampened cloth.

I do all of my panel lines with acrylic craft paint this way.

Steve

Excellent Idea...do them last! I was going to suggest thinning down some of the  Tamiya racing white he used and flowing that into the panel lines to partially cover the black wash. 

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Excellent Idea...do them last! I was going to suggest thinning down some of the  Tamiya racing white he used and flowing that into the panel lines to partially cover the black wash. 

They are one of the absolute last things that I do after polishing, foiling, etc.

You might be right.

A slightly transparent color over the black might mute it enough.

Steve

6 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

I've never darkened my door/trunk lines..Real vehicles don't have black lines..I just dust paint a few coats then final coat..I do use a pick and define them then sand down what the pick loosened..Never done lines..

I have only recently started trying to darken the lines.  Haven't come up with a method I really like.   Yours look good without darkening and that is all a personal prefence.   To me, lines that look like a coloring book black ink drawing are too much.  None is too little.  Very rare that I see a build that has perfect door line shading.  But that's my opinion.  I can appreciate a model without darkened lines more than one that has too much.