Model Cars Magazine Forum

Continental Mark II Convertible

On 6/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great project, really looking good in that last shot especially. The new wheels/ tires are perfect.

I keep intending to find one of these in unwarped condition, but since I got a 1/24 diecast to look at, I keep forgetting. 

Thanks Bill. Good luck finding one that's not warped. This has a slight sink in the hood but I think I'll let it slide.

The wheels and tires are from the Foose Cadillac. They resemble the stock wheels a bit. Still deciding if I'll use them or the stockers. For now it's sitting on a 57 Ford frame.

Edited by Perspective Customs
Spelling

Thanks!  I found one of those at a flea market, cheap. With...yes, a warped roof.  I thought about doing the same thing you did. It really looks sharp as a convertible.

If I'm remembering right, we don't have to worry about a top boot. The Continental Mk II was supposed to get the retractable metal roof that went into the '57 Ford.  I think FoMoCo dropped that idea because the Continental hardtop already cost so much; about $10,000 in 1950s money.  Even at that price, Ford said it lost money on every Continental sold.

9 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

...Good luck finding one that's not warped...

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I would absolutely love to see someone cast this car in resin...

Yeah, I've found a few that are reasonably straight, but they've all appeared to have shrunk considerably. It's noticeable the way the fenders have pulled back from the bumpers on both ends, and in how the wheels are never centered in the wheel openings.

Yours will look great, 'cause you can visually correct all that and maintain the illusion that all is as it should be, sitting on a different chassis, but it spoils the scale accuracy.

The good part is that the old acetate shrinks fairly consistently, so the fine proportions stay well in the ballpark, even if the actual dimensions aren't.

33 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, I've found a few that are reasonably straight, but they've all appeared to have shrunk considerably. It's noticeable the way the fenders have pulled back from the bumpers on both ends, and in how the wheels are never centered in the wheel openings.

Yours will look great, 'cause you can visually correct all that and maintain the illusion that all is as it should be, sitting on a different chassis, but it spoils the scale accuracy.

The good part is that the old acetate shrinks fairly consistently, so the fine proportions stay well in the ballpark, even if the actual dimensions aren't.

I like your "wise men" quote. Reminds me of the one: It is better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Well, well, now this is a model we don't see much around here!! Love the Continental Mark II. I agree that it's one of the most beautiful '50s cars, and ahead of its time design-wise. While they can look a bit boxy in photographs, they're stunning in person.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Very interesting project! Back in the mid '80's when I went back to school I was looking for another car. I came across a '71 MG and in the dealer's lot was a '56 Continental just like yours. It was a light powder blue and the guy was trying to sell it to me instead of the MG. I didn't really want it as it was nearly a 30 year old car then and there were some signs of cancer that I didn't want to deal with.

In hindsight I had so much trouble with that MG that maybe I should have bought that Continental! :D

2 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

This is one car I would give anything to see some company put out in 1/25 full detail plastic kit from and I would even pay double the price for it. !!!

Same here.

On of the best looking cars from the era hands down

Gonna have to keep an eye on this build

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Very interesting project! Back in the mid '80's when I went back to school I was looking for another car. I came across a '71 MG and in the dealer's lot was a '56 Continental just like yours. It was a light powder blue and the guy was trying to sell it to me instead of the MG. I didn't really want it as it was nearly a 30 year old car then and there were some signs of cancer that I didn't want to deal with.

In hindsight I had so much trouble with that MG that maybe I should have bought that Continental! :D

If I had a dollar, for every time I heard that sort of story, could buy me a promo!  :lol:  '55 Chevy Cameo for me.

Refreshing to see such a classic.  Yanking the seats is a huge improvement.  I have never acquired a promo, didn't know about the acetate shrinking issue.  Look forward to seeing this finished!

12 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

....didn't know about the acetate shrinking issue ...

It can be bad. Bought one of these with no interior for cheap on ebay a few years back, since I thought the Lincoln T-bird idea I had would be easier to do in 25th scale rather than cobble together the Revell 32nd scale T-bird & Lincoln kits. Figured I could cut the promo apart and re-glue it back together straighter as maybe a resin master. However, every single panel on this thing is headed in a different direction. No salvaging it that I can see, a collection of bowed parallelograms straining to twist themselves into a pretzel. Hoping someone will do a new resin - occasionally pricey old SC Miller resins pop up, along with Kustom Kolor Works ones.

5d16f01e8b869_Lincpromo.jpg.a1fb4a777702cf97bf82a0e24ba6df44.jpg

F&F resin cast made a very good kit of the Continental MKII. They were pricey 20 years ago and I don't think they made many. As far as I know, F&F has been long out of business and I don't know if anyone bought their molds. I have one in my stash and someday I will get up the courage to build it.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:05 PM, Paul Payne said:

F&F resin cast made a very good kit of the Continental MKII. They were pricey 20 years ago and I don't think they made many. As far as I know, F&F has been long out of business and I don't know if anyone bought their molds. I have one in my stash and someday I will get up the courage to build it.

Ed Fluck Jr was F&F Resins , He passed of Cancer . His son Ed Fluck III makes mostly parts for Hot Rods and Customs . Thanx ..

Hmmm. Russell C's car has a pretty straight roof, and Jay's has a pretty straight body - too bad you couldn't combine the good parts :). Looking forward to seeing the finished car!

One thing that bugs me about the promo and the Revell 1/32 kit - too much overhang in the front edge of the roof, making the windshield too vertical; wonder if they used the same 1/10 master? 

Quickie photoshop of a fix; may be more trouble than it's worth: cut it atop the A-pillars, move it back about 3/32" or 1/8", and trim the excess.

5d192a53e13c1_mkiiwindshield.jpg.11818388203bd737aaa4addf4ff1685e.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter