Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello Ken, let me write that wooden ships are my favorite modeling experience….my opinion is, this genre is the real deal.  

This model is looking very good.  I can imagine this being as Artesania Latina rendition (edit;  you mentioned Corel) , and your attention to cannon rigging is well done, the planking looks to be correctly executed on the deck and hull, and the overall appearance is a treat.  Did I say that I love wooden ship models…?  lol.

A magnificent model, compliments.  I'll be dropping by when you update, thanks for sharing this endeavor.

Edited by Mike Williams

thanx everyone ! so many great builders on here and I enjoy looking at all their work. I personally started with cars and trucks when I was in the 1st grade and have built off and on my entire life. I think this forum is great,  knowing the hobby is strong and the fact they're re releasing all the old kits keeps it affordable and interesting for all ages.

Ship building is an art unto itself.  Someone brought a book to a model meeting, about ship models in museums, they used to build models before blueprints were done.  I'm sure all the real ships are long gone, but the models remain.  More power to you!

hull is double planked. as can be seen here they must be tapered because hull is much wider in the middle. wooden blocks were added to keep the bulkheads square with the keel. the first layer of planking gives you the initial rough shape and may be sanded for a smooth surface for the second layer. glue and tiny nails were used at this point to hold the planks until dry. the nails were removed after the glue sets. bulkheads must be tapered on their edges so the planks have an even surface for a good glue joint without any gaps.

DSC00612.JPG