Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

Was in a neighboring town this morning so checked out their HL. A few more sale kits than mine, but nothing good--only thing marginally interesting was the '66 Mercury, which was worth the sale price just for the good wheels and tires, so I grabbed one, plus a 1/48 Revellogram F-102 for $7.49--I think I paid more than that for that kit when it came out in the '80s! :blink:

Picked up the Chrysler 300 today after work, not my usual type of car but will make a nice addition to my display someday. The only other autos left were the Coke delivery truck and an Edsel. Guess I should have been there yesterday.

stopped by Toledo store again today and the nice lady was just starting to mark em down, so got to hang out with her a bit in the air conditioning and bought what I wanted, 1 Scout 1 Suburban 1 Datsun and 2 Mack big rigs and 2 sprue cutters, they had every single kit talked about in this thread, plus a couple paints and blade refills

Today I went to the two closest Hobby Lobby stores to me. One store had a few kits marked down(  '23 T Coke truck, Prowler, and old tool stock version '57 Chevy) and may have more earlier for there were a few empty spots on the shelves. The other store had no kits marked down.

Have 4 HL stores in reasonable driving distance from my house and only one had items that were marked down. The girl there told me that one guy bought everything including aircraft and military kits. He had stood waiting as the kits were being repriced and filled up two carts. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Picked up a Lindberg ( Palmer) Owens '59 Outboard boat at my local HL. Man even at $6.99 clearance this kit is overpriced. I see what you mean about Palmer car kits. Vague detail, poor fit and bad plastic. The outboard motors don't look too bad, although they are a different scale than the boat. :wacko:

Edited by magicmustang

I've pretty much bought everything from them that I need, but I did get a couple of extra of the El Camino with the minibike and the AMT 'wood' Chris Craft yesterday just because they were $7.49. I may go back and some more of the Datsun, the Scout and the Jeep truck.

8 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Picked up a Lindberg ( Palmer) Owens '59 Outboard boat at my local HL. Man even at $6.99 clearance this kit is overpriced. I see what you mean about Palmer car kits. Vague detail, poor fit and bad plastic. The outboard motors don't look too bad, although they are a different scale than the boat. :wacko:

I got a one of these too. I like it, but it definitely is a product of the 50s.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:43 PM, oldcarfan said:

I got a one of these too. I like it, but it definitely is a product of the 50s.

Found pics of the K & O 1959 Evinrude 50 HP outboard motors. With the decals and a little paint the Lindberg ones would not be bad.

Edited by magicmustang

For those in the area or passing thru:  went to the big Hobby Lobby in Anderson, SC today. It has the kits everybody has already mentioned discounted. 

I picked up the MPC Honda Super Hawk for $6.74. I have some old Lindberg/PYRO 1/16 bike kits that are missing wheels and other small parts, found at flea markets over the years.  So at that price it was worth buying as a possible parts kit. 

According to a worker at the Battle Creek, MI store, there wasn't anything on clearance but the shelves were emptied of the Suburban, Bronco, 300, Edsel, etc. between Saturday afternoon and  today. Nothing else, just the mentioned items. Draw your own conclusions.

I went to Henderson store this afternoon. Restock on El Camino, Poly .glass Pontiac and Lincoln. Restock of the Scout 11 but at regular price.

I did buy AMT 1978 Ford pick up FIRESTONE pick up $7.49. I don't remember if it was in stock last week but if it was it was at regular retail.

On 6/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, Phirewriter said:

Have 4 HL stores in reasonable driving distance from my house and only one had items that were marked down. The girl there told me that one guy bought everything including aircraft and military kits. He and had stood waiting as the kits were being repriced and filled up two carts. 

I've witnessed this myself. I try not to let it bother me, but it does. Yes, it's Capitalism in action, and people have every right to do it. I've already noticed a spike in these kits showing up on eBay. It just takes these kits out of the hands of real builders, or even kids. But, it's a free market.