Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

I may check my local HL today just out of curiosity.   A worker there did tell me that there's a guy who checks daily for kits on sale and buys them all.  Still, there isn't anything on the list that I need at this point.  I have a few each of the ones I have interest in.

The last time I got the "deal" was around the end of last year when they closed out the 1970 Pontiac and 1980 Volare kits.  I got a few of each for restoration parts for older kits.  I have 1967-69 Pontiacs to rebuild and a 1970 resin hardtop body.  

They went fast at the HL in Flint, Mi. I was in on the 1st at 11 AM and no sale stickers on the OP's list. Couldn't make it on Tuesday, but checked today the 3rd at 11:30 AM and all from the list were cleaned out except some of the 1/32 firetruck snappers and some of the Prowlers. I didn't buy either of those but I did pick up 3 of the 1/72 aircraft kits because I have been wanting to do a few of those for something different. Kind of pisses me off that one person feels the need to clean out all of the clearance kits and leave nothing for anyone else. I could be wrong, but I think maybe my LHS that I won't name but is located only a mile away from Hobby Lobby may have cleaned them out to sell at their own store. Oh well, maybe Ollie's will be getting some kits in again soon.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Stopped in my local HL this afternoon.... nothing on sale at all.  They still had most of the mentioned kit marked full boat.

Must be manager's choice. Two local HLs are about sold out of markdown kits, third store has all on the shelf and still has not markdown any.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Stopped in my local HL this afternoon.... nothing on sale at all.  They still had most of the mentioned kit marked full boat.

The store I went to yesterday just got their clearance pricing information yesterday. They were in the process of marking everything down while I was there.

I bought a couple kits LOL

HL2019.jpg

28 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Just got back from the Niles, IL store - no discounts, shelves all full. Not a wasted trip, though - picked up a heat gun at the Harbor Freight next door.

Will check Vernon Hills next.

Hope you got the extended warranty on the heat gun, maybe turned mine on about five times and the elements fused together and bam no gun. The whole circuit runs through the elements so when they go the fan motor stops

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added info

I hit the Melbourne, Florida store last week and they had all the ones mentioned. I got a '66 Fairlane, Edsel, Amt boat, '70 Monte Carlo, Pepper Shaker, '66 Suburban and the Internation Scout SS. They didn't have the Polyglas '62 Pontiac, so the next day I went to the Titusville store and found 4 of those. Normally, I only take one of a kit when they are on sale so other people can have a shot at them, but the Pontiac is just too parts rich to pass up. Especially at $7.49 a piece. The 2 sets of tires are worth that alone, plus you get the whole car and all the custom parts too. I went back Monday this week and everything has been picked. The general rule with both HL and Ollies is to get them if you see them because you will not get a second chance. As other people have mentioned, a lot of these wind up in the hands of dealers ,speculators, and other vultures but thats how it goes......This time I got lucky! ?

Last week there were no markdowns at the Hobart, IN store.  Stopped in today and nearly all the clearance kits are gone - lots of empty spaces.  Snagged the last MPC Mount'N Goat Jeep.  Wasn't on my to-get list, but at $7.49, it's in parts kit territory.

Only other thing of interest was one last '66 Suburban, but I already have the one I need, so I left that one for the next guy.  They still had multiple AMT '23 T Delivery Vans, but nobody cares about those.

3 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

Anyone have insider info on what is coming to the shelves to replace these?

I picked up an AMT ‘77 Cruisin Van at my local HL about a week ago. I assume it was intended to fill one of the soon to be created open spaces and got put out before the actual reset. So that might be one of their new offerings. 

1 hour ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I wish I just had a HL around here, closest one to me is over an hour away...... ☹️

You'll have one before long!   They are building them at a mad clip to the point of saturation!  I have one within walking distance (okay, a hike but I've done that walk!) to my house here in Exton.    I noticed a brand new one that wasn't open yet near King of Prussia yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

You'll have one before long!   They are building them at a mad clip to the point of saturation!  I have one within walking distance (okay, a hike but I've done that walk!) to my house here in Exton.    I noticed a brand new one that wasn't open yet near King of Prussia yesterday. 

I hope so I actually made the drive today I’ll post a pic after I get home of what I got. I got some kits and some tools that were on clearance too

Around here,  this reset is nearing its end.  I grabbed three more kits today (bringing the total to 11).  Last things left seem to be the Prowler snap kit, 1/16 Honda cycle, ex-Palmer Owens boat kit, and Revell ex-Monogram 1/32 scale snap Mack fire truck.

I stopped by the one in Laurel, MD today, and they only had the 65 Continental, 57 Chrysler, Prowler,  and the Scout II along with the 1/25 boat kits. I ended up piciking up aircraft (F-4J, A-37B. UH-60A) and Star Wars Imperial Patrol Speeder kits for less than $30 including tax.

Went to two different HL today, one had some kits left on markdown while the other hadn't done theirs yet. Snagged a IH Scout, need some parts from it and also grabbed another Mountain Goat, likely for parts to rebuild some other Jeeps.