Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

On 7/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tom Geiger said:

You'll have one before long!   They are building them at a mad clip to the point of saturation!  I have one within walking distance (okay, a hike but I've done that walk!) to my house here in Exton.    I noticed a brand new one that wasn't open yet near King of Prussia yesterday. 

I wish there was one in NYC! Michael’s sells a few kits and we have a couple of hobby stores within subway-commute-distance but seeing all these bargains is REALLY making me want to have one close by! ?

Stopped at HL yesterday and these followed me home. I hadn't seen the Boss anywhere locally yet. They had the Owens on clearance, Mountain Goat, 1/32 firetruck as well. Might check another store today. I didn't need another Fairlane, but I couldn't help myself at the price. Wish they had the Monte Carlo. It's the only example I know of that has a correct 69-up big block.

IMG_20190705_150825973.jpg

Went to  two more HLs today. Store one had a lot of kits left on clearance, but I didn't get anything. I did get a couple of the 1/64 semi truck cases for $3.24. I have three of them on my desk at work with 1/64 diecast cars sideways in them. I don't have any cars to add, but now that I have two more cases, I will get cars to fill them up. Store 2 is near my work and had almost nothing on clearance. Got the last 1/24 display case for $2.24 though. There must be something about individual store participation though. Yesterday's store and today's #1 stop had much more on clearance than today's #2 stop.

3 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

I stopped by my local HL and saw this Honda CB77 marked down to $6.74. It's 1/16 scale (not many bikes in that scale) and I haven't built a bike in decades but at that price I couldn't pass it up. As a matter of fact I may get a couple more. I'm going to try for a cafe, bobber, brat sort of build.

IMG_20190705_232346214.jpg

I got the same one, I’ve never done a bike before so for the price had to try it... Started right after I got it home...

475459F3-C316-48BB-9F05-22F0959DDD9D.jpeg

7 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

I stopped by my local HL and saw this Honda CB77 marked down to $6.74. It's 1/16 scale (not many bikes in that scale)...

There were quite a few 1/16 scale bikes, but none have been re-issued for many years until now.  I have some old glue-bomb bikes in that scale missing wheels, and picked up the Hobby Lobby CB77 as a parts kit.  I may pick up a couple more myself, and do one as a beater bike.

This Honda is an old Lindberg kit.  In 1/16 Lindberg also did a BMW R75, Triumph Tiger 100, Harley 1200 V-Twin and maybe more. These were issued in different versions over the years. I hope Round 2 has more of these bike kits in the warehouse, since they're adding upgraded decals with instruments, badges, etc. 

PYRO did some good 1/16 bike kits: a full-dress Harley Electra-Glide, BSA Lightning Rocket and Yamaha 250 Catalina, and probably some others I forgot.  The BSA and Yamaha were issued as stock street bikes, and as racers with a fairing/windshield .  PYRO also converted these into Weird-Oh type kits with chopper parts and goofy figures.  The PYRO kit I'd really like to see again is their Harley three-wheeler, as a New York Police trike. With goofy figure...

pyro-pol2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, ROY FERGUSON said:

I went to the HL in Henderson, NV this morning and found the store manager stock shelves. I asked I the price drop list for this week was out and he advised sale was over. ??

I took the last Jeep Mount"N Goat left. Only the 3 in 1 boat kit left,

as i understand it the kts on clearance now was because the mfg notified hl that these kits were gonna be discontinued.  the shelf reset is something hl does periodically and then they will put on clearance items that they dont intend to have after the shelves are reset.  it probably means that the shelf space dedicated to models/paint/supplies will get smaller.

16 hours ago, jeffdeoranut said:

as i understand it the kts on clearance now was because the mfg notified hl that these kits were gonna be discontinued.  the shelf reset is something hl does periodically and then they will put on clearance items that they dont intend to have after the shelves are reset.  it probably means that the shelf space dedicated to models/paint/supplies will get smaller.

Why does it have to mean the shelf space will get smaller? HL has done clearance sales like this since I've been a patron there, going on 17 years now. This "straight to bottom price" thing is new in the last couple years, as they used to do progressive markdowns. But, I feel the model area has expanded over the last few years, with more kits, and definitely more supplies and paints. They added an entire Creatix (sp) paint rack, and started carrying a lot more supplies.

I just stopped by the closest Hobby Lobby, and the Clearance sale at that store is pretty much down to seeds and stems. (Obscure 1960s reference.)  It still had plenty of '58 Edsels, '65 Lincolns and Honda 1/16 CB-77 bikes. A few '57 Chryslers, '62 Pontiacs, Customizing Boat Kits and Owens Outboard Cruisers. 

If anybody can't live without one of those, PM me and I'll try to pick it up for you. Though I can't guarantee your kit will still be there, or still be marked down. I noticed that the '57 Chevy "Pepper Shaker," discounted just a few days ago, was back up to full price.

All gone: the '65 El Caminos, '66 Fairlanes, Monte Carlos, IH Scout II and Jeep Commando, off the top of my alleged head.

This store did have one new kit in stock: the Revell Porsche Junior farm tractor. Finally.

Just got back from Vernon Hills - a lot of empty spaces, but they still have two '57 Chrysler 300s and two AMT speedboats. I picked up the last Edsel; it had been opened and some a-hole had swiped the horsecollar and rearview mirror, but it was still worth the $7 and change for parts; I can put the chassis under my '59 Edsel convertible and change it from slump-buster to Project™. Also got on clearance some Testors camo dark gray and tan, plus a badly-needed magnifying glass.

i got really lucky tonight. i went to the HL about 30 minutes from my house and i got the amt boat, the scout international and the fairlane. they had a lot more, but those were the ones i liked the most.

the manager was there and i asked if they were on clearance and he checked his list and said yes. i got them for 7.49 each. none of them  had the clearance sticker yet. they were working on it when i got there

was well worth the trip. i really wanted that amt boat

Edited by youpey

I work at Hobby Lobby. About three weeks ago at, 2 in the afternoon, I saw our hobby dept head marking down the kits to $7.49. We talked about it and I saw several that I would buy at that price. We can't set items aside for ourselves and there were multiples of the ones that I was interested it. When I clocked out at 5 I went to pick out some kits. To my surprise, all that was left were PT Cruisers. I asked the dept head if he had moved the kits. He said no, but some guy came in and bought 45 kits, $350 dollars worth and another $50 worth of modeling tools and supplies that were also marked down. So I, too got nothing. Some people are greedy, and I'm sure that most of these kits will be on  evilbay.

Edited by wisdonm

9 hours ago, wisdonm said:

Some people are greedy, and I'm sure that most of these kits will be on  evilbay.

Yeah, these are all over eBay. I have "commando" saved as one of my searches because I'm on the lookout for older ones, and it is flooded with the Mount N Goat kit, many having the HL sticker still on them, and a few still have the clearance tag on them :lol: 

I've seen guys walk out with carts full of these kits, and I know right where they're going. Yes, free market, Capitalism... I get it. But I still don't like it when it's practiced this way. 

My question is, how much can you actually make turning these kits so quickly? Maybe sell a few at $15? Will you sell all of them? With ebay fees and your time factored, how much are you making? You probably could do better parting them out, but again, your time and fees. Maybe if you sit on them and turn them in a few years when it gets harder to find them. But then you have to store them until that time. I guess  you can hustle them at a local car show or flea market, but most people who are looking for models know what they are looking at. Just seems like a lot of trouble for small return. 

eBay has always had sellers who think they are making money.  They're the ones beating each other's brains in at flea markets overpaying for those "screw-bottom model toy cars", then finding out later that they are losing their shirts.  Thing is, when one of them figures it out, another one shows up to replace him/her.