Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

For some, it's not how much money they can make as it is the chase- being the one that clears out the aisle of discounted models. Same mentality when Ollie's has kits on clearance and someone has to be the first to get there and scoop up the good deals. I have seen some people take those "deals" and try to double their money at hobby shows. 

On 7/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, magicmustang said:

I'm not sure what's up with this ^^?

Anyways, I finally got a chance to to get to HL. Only 1 car kit it was the prowler. No thanks!!!! There were however several plane models and army kits. Didn't see any paint putty etc on discount. 

We must all be going to the same Hobby Lobby...all they had at mine were Prowlers, too. One of the people working there said they had other kits, but that’s all that was left. If they weren’t the Snap Fast Kit, I would have gotten one for the powertrain. Everybody must really dislike that kit! ;) 

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

Prowlers... Everybody must really dislike that kit! ;) 

I don't dislike it. I bought one and built it several months ago. But what could I possibly do with a second or third one? :unsure:

5 hours ago, Aspieguy said:

I'm not sure what's up with this ^^?

Anyways, I finally got a chance to to get to HL. Only 1 car kit it was the prowler. No thanks!!!! There were however several plane models and army kits. Didn't see any paint putty etc on discount. 

My Hobby Lobby had the AMT boat kits and paint. My wife stopped by and called me. I buy what I may want if I see it at 40 percent off with a coupon. If Hobby Lobby has a sale I don't like the get up there and check and be disappointed. Not fun chasing a kit sale, but that's just me. If something is on sale while shopping is great but no fun hunting a sale.

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I don't dislike it. I bought one and built it several months ago. But what could I possibly do with a second or third one? :unsure:

I know- it's not a bad kit (it's basically an unbuilt promo), I just think it's entertaining that it's what was left at nearly every HL we have checked, in different parts of the country. It seems that even the profiteers stay away from it.

The tires & wheels are probably worth $7.49 to somebody...

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, larman said:

My question is, how much can you actually make turning these kits so quickly? Maybe sell a few at $15? Will you sell all of them? With ebay fees and your time factored, how much are you making? You probably could do better parting them out, but again, your time and fees. Maybe if you sit on them and turn them in a few years when it gets harder to find them. But then you have to store them until that time. I guess  you can hustle them at a local car show or flea market, but most people who are looking for models know what they are looking at. Just seems like a lot of trouble for small return. 

Good points, thanks. I just got back from a big flea market. One seller had a table full of older model car kits. I got really excited when I saw the box for an original AMT '67 Shelby Cobra...the one with the 45-RPM record inside.  A lot less excited when I opened that box and found a built kit and nothing else. The vintage box art was neat, but the box top had a hole punched right thru the middle.

All of that seller's kits were started.  He wanted $8 each, with a volume discount for buying more than one.  But I already have too many "parts kits," and like you said, I'd just lose money and time putting them on eBay. 

I've been selling on eBay since the late 1990s, when there was no photo hosting and no PayPal. You had to find your own photo host, and payment was with Money Orders. So some things about eBay have gotten better and easier. 

For newbies thinking of selling many kits on eBay: along with taking photos and writing listings, you'll need to find shipping boxes for the kits. Weigh and measure them BEFORE you put the listing up on eBay.  I learned pretty quickly not to guess at the weight/size.  You can lose quite a bit of money in shipping doing that.  A postal scale will cost about $10, you probably have a tape measure already, and the USPS will send you boxes for free.  Then you'll have to deal with bidders who win more than one of your kits...so get some bigger boxes too.  Hobby Lobby might give you some of those.

I still score some good eBay fodder at flea markets and thrift stores occasionally. Once I found a 1/72 scale Testors SR-71 Blackbird kit, still shrink-wrapped.  Bought it for $5, just because I thought it was neat. Put it on eBay for a starting bid of $9.99.  It got something like 16 bids and finally sold for $75. 

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I know- it's not a bad kit (it's basically an unbuilt promo), I just think it's entertaining that it's what was left at nearly every HL we have checked, in different parts of the country. It seems that even the profiteers stay away from it.

The tires & wheels are probably worth $7.49 to somebody...

shortyfront

Prowler wheels.... Yea, they're worth eight bucks!

With the Prowler, if you ditch the front fenders (with a razor saw), bumpers, and front axles (use a small screw to attach the wheels to the lower A-arms), you've got a pretty nice basis for a pretty decent modern hot rod. I've built two so far. One (the yellow one) is posted on here somewhere, the other (black) is not yet posted. 

I'm huge fan of (what used to be called) Snapfast Plus models. Lots of neat things you could do with them without worrying about minor details like whether there was a possible power path between the engine and rear end. I may go and see if there's another one at HL....

On July 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM, Mike999 said:

Good points, thanks. I just got back from a big flea market. One seller had a table full of older model car kits. I got really excited when I saw the box for an original AMT '67 Shelby Cobra...the one with the 45-RPM record inside.  A lot less excited when I opened that box and found a built kit and nothing else. The vintage box art was neat, but the box top had a hole punched right thru the middle.

All of that seller's kits were started.  He wanted $8 each, with a volume discount for buying more than one.  But I already have too many "parts kits," and like you said, I'd just lose money and time putting them on eBay. 

I've been selling on eBay since the late 1990s, when there was no photo hosting and no PayPal. You had to find your own photo host, and payment was with Money Orders. So some things about eBay have gotten better and easier. 

For newbies thinking of selling many kits on eBay: along with taking photos and writing listings, you'll need to find shipping boxes for the kits. Weigh and measure them BEFORE you put the listing up on eBay.  I learned pretty quickly not to guess at the weight/size.  You can lose quite a bit of money in shipping doing that.  A postal scale will cost about $10, you probably have a tape measure already, and the USPS will send you boxes for free.  Then you'll have to deal with bidders who win more than one of your kits...so get some bigger boxes too.  Hobby Lobby might give you some of those.

I still score some good eBay fodder at flea markets and thrift stores occasionally. Once I found a 1/72 scale Testors SR-71 Blackbird kit, still shrink-wrapped.  Bought it for $5, just because I thought it was neat. Put it on eBay for a starting bid of $9.99.  It got something like 16 bids and finally sold for $75. 

I always enjoy reading and seeing your flea market scores....

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, carrucha said:

Last night I went to the Hobby Lobby in Morgan Hill, CA.  No kits on clearance but their shelves were fully stocked.

I went to the Hobby Lobby in Morgan Hill, CA last night and they finally put the kits on clearance.  I bought a 1966 Ford Fairlane for $7.49.  What a great deal.  The kit's 390 V8 is going into a 1967 Mustang GT S-Code.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to HL today to see if they had anything new, and at least 2 dozen spots on the shelves, that used to have model kits on them, now are filled with diecasts. The spot where the diecasts were are now full of slot car stuff.

Looks like the plastic kit section is shrinking fast.

I was at HL today and kit area was the same it's been. I did pick up 3 WW II Sherman rank  models I'll use as flat car loads on my O scale model railroad........they were $27.99 now $6.99!!!!

I also wanted some Testors spray #1246.....but they don't carry it any longer!!

On 7/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, RichCostello said:

Stopped in HL today, a couple 66 Mercs, and Prowlers is all they have left. There were a LOT of empty shelves. Anyone know when they'll restock, and with what?

in july i was told by hl mgr that in august there would be a company-wide reset of model kit/supplies area

The summer reset usually takes longer.  The empty spaces remain empty longer, summer is probably slow for them when it comes to model kit sales.  One store here does now have the AMT '77 Ford Cruising Van and 1/32 scale '60 Thunderbird.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

And there is a price increase. I saw some kits marked $33.99 at Hobby Lobby and kits marked $43.99 at AC Moore.

It's too much now. I hate to say it but revell and amt kits are not good enough for that price point. Only with the 40% off

Tamiya kits are that price and are worlds better 

8 hours ago, jeffdeoranut said:

in july i was told by hl mgr that in august there would be a company-wide reset of model kit/supplies area

The reset seems to be done here. The only things new are a bunch of Maisto stuff, and other pre built, and diecasts that now occupy about a third of the model section. These are not just temporary fillers, the stickers on the shelves match what's there.