Model Cars Magazine Forum
Mr. Metallic

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

This seems to vary from store to store, state to state. So most of this HOT information is usually useless. 

If you're waiting to read about it here, you're going to end up reading about what WAS cleared out...

We clearance out our kits the end of June and are just authorized to do our reset this week. Can't wait to see what's new.  

When I went to Hobby Lobby last only the boats was on clearance, I look for them to  clearance some more this week...

Around here, the reset has only started.  Only two new (to HL) kits so far, AMT Ford Cruising Van and 1/32 scale '60 Thunderbird.  And yes, more diecast, cutting into the kit space on the shelves just a bit.

Same thing at Vernon Hills and Deerfield. To be specific it's diecast car kits they're adding, not just diecast cars.

Vernon Hills still has a couple Prowlers in the clearance rack at $7 and change.

Stopped by today to get some knife blades, and no sale stuff left on the model aisle. I checked the clearance corner, and they had 2 Prowlers, and a Trojan Horse funny car for $6.29. I guess they aren't going to carry display cases anymore, because they had the last 3 on sale for $2.49 so I grabbed 2 of them.

I stopped at one of the local Hobby Lobby stores today and scored an unexpected deal. I picked up a Corvette C7R kit marked at $26.99 and with my 40% off coupon I  figured  it would be $16.19 plus tax. The cashier scanned it and it came up as $16.99 ( and not as a mark down.) so with the tax and my coupon it came to $10.80. My lucky day!

Report from Exton PA:

I was in the store on Friday.  They were resetting the kits, but when I asked they said they were just rearranging to add incoming kits without anything going to clearance.   Then I noticed, in an odd location, a couple of the Prowler and the old Lindberg boat.  I bought one of each, just because.

I got talking with a manager and he told me something.  He said Amazon has an app that allows people to scan a box and see what it sells for on Amazon.  He says resellers are combing the entire store with it!   

i noticed the kit selection getting smaller here in Michigan / Taylor location. Did not see and clearance though. Might be a hidden spot like others said.  

At one of my local stores they have taken about 21 spots that were formerly occupied by styrene car kits, and put diecast kits in their place. It appears they are re-arranging the entire aisle. But so far, no effect to the military and aviation kit sections. The holes that were created by the clearance sale have not been filled with new kits, but instead simply eliminated to help the consolidation effort. Nothing new from this year from either Round2 or Revell (with the exception of the 69 Stang and 68 Chevelle from Revell)

I frequent my LHS, and use them to buy brand new kits, supplies and special orders. I use HL for purchases of kits I probably wouldn't purchase for full price because I have marginal interest in them. Or for purchasing parts kits. HL doesn't really take my business away from the LHS, so if HL is not going to carry as many of these kits I have "marginal interest" in, that's their loss.

Stopped by my closest Hobby Lobby today:

--lots of new diecasts, including some nice 1/24 scale items. 

--no new plastic kits, and no kits on clearance or on sale.

--the ATLANTIS re-pops are making their way into HL.  This store had the ex-Revell 1/92 scale B-24J and 1/64 scale B-25. And the ex-Aurora/Helicopters For Industry 1/48 scale H-25 "Army Mule" helicopter.  I couldn't resist that one. Full HL price is $19.99, with the coupon only $12.91.  Here's a review of the kit, with some ideas for improving it:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/atl/kit_atl_a502.shtml

atl_MULE.jpg