Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 AAR Cuda

Jhedir6

Decals are done, clear is on. A bit of trash to wet sand out but I'll leave that a few days. I'll then wait another week before masking and painting the matte black.

20190704_175011-vi.jpg

The green came out really nice. I'm really liking the metallic in it. And the colour is very close to the Dodge Ivy Green.

20190704_174939-vi.jpg

20190704_174904-vi.jpg

Onto the interior and chassis while the clear cures.

1 hour ago, BubbaBrown said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the AAR and TA only was available in 5 different colors only, and no black. Anybody else ?

Nope, avail in any color a regular Barracuda / Cuda was avail in.

There are lots of black ones out there.

A friend of mine used to own both a black TA and a black AAR.

TA had black interior , the AAR had white interior.  He sold both a few years back and I think he now owns a B7 blue AAR. which is one of the rarest colors known

5 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

All of my AAR reference shows these rectangles in the grill too.430D85A0-194B-4B56-8C6E-A5DAA964A9A9.thumb.jpeg.ed53738d2a484ddc8959b4fcbf9119f0.jpeg

I cast this grill in resin if anyone is interested.

Now that I think about it, I believe your correct. Same square moldings as in a Gran Coupe Barracuda. They were  NOT avail in a regular Cuda

Another side note, I am 99% sure the gilled rocker moldings as shown here were NOT avail on an AAR 

Due to the fact they were plastic , and right above a hot exhaust tip ,,,probably not a good idea. Although I have seen several cars with them ( owner added on the car I did )

Edited by gtx6970

13 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Now that I think about it, I believe your correct. Same square moldings as in a Gran Coupe Barracuda. They were  NOT avail in a regular Cuda

Another side note, I am 99% sure the gilled rocker moldings as shown here were NOT avail on an AAR 

Due to the fact they were plastic , and right above a hot exhaust tip ,,,probably not a good idea. Although I have seen several cars with them ( owner added on the car I did )

Well in theory they were not available on the AAR but there is a test report from Car and Driver Magazine from 1970 that their test car had them.  I think they could be ordered as there are cars out there with the M25 option code or so I have read!    There is also a picture of a car show from 1970 showing them.  These could be preproduction cars.   I think this has been discussed on just a few Cuda forums.   I like them on the AAR's! though.  Btw I love the way this green build is coming together it  looks great.  

16 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I didn’t know they existed until SAE did the AAR conversion article in the early 90’s. I believe he added them. I’m not sure what is correct. I had pictures of an unrestored completely original car from the local MOPAR show but can’t find them.... yet

Considering that the AAR and the T/A Challenger were built on the regular production line with  'regular' Barracuda and Challenger models in the Hamtramck Plant (e.g. , they weren't "batch-built" like the 440 Dart , etc.) , there were mistakes made ( antenna placement ; trim mix-ups ; etc. , etc. ) . The only way to tell whether or not an AAR received the bright embellishments is by finding an original , untouched example , or by finding vintage photographic evidence that supports the presence (or lack thereof ) of the grille's brightwork .

In the end , we're building scale replicas of fill-in-the-blank vehicles --- build your kit your way . 

19 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Considering that the AAR and the T/A Challenger were built on the regular production line with  'regular' Barracuda and Challenger models in the Hamtramck Plant (e.g. , they weren't "batch-built" like the 440 Dart , etc.) , there were mistakes made ( antenna placement ; trim mix-ups ; etc. , etc. ) . The only way to tell whether or not an AAR received the bright embellishments is by finding an original , untouched example , or by finding vintage photographic evidence that supports the presence (or lack thereof ) of the grille's brightwork .

In the end , we're building scale replicas of fill-in-the-blank vehicles --- build your kit your way . 

That is what it all comes down to!?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, an update....kind of...

The clear has cured and was wet sanded (still needs a polish) but I did mask and get the matte black on (pics tomorrow). I've started work on the chassis but stopped at the wheels as I was waiting for the following to arrive.

20190724_182210-vi.jpg

Some big and little BF Goodrich T/A's (225/60/15's for the front and 275/60/15's for the rear) from Mr. Joseph@Fireball. As well as some big and little Mopar steelies ( I'm not a fan of the rally wheels and I figure most will be done with them)

So with the wheels/tires in I can get the chassis dialed in before starting final assembly this week.

Thanks for looking in.

P.S. I also picked up a set of Minilite's for a Dan Gurney Trans Am AAR build later this winter. The plan is to build the Cuda and Mustang side by side over the winter.

Edited by Jhedir6