Model Cars Magazine Forum

Greetings from San Tan Valley, AZ

New member here...

New to the forums and new to car modeling.  I've built a couple of plastic models (nothing contest worthy or anything) but most of my adult modeling has been flying model rockets up to now.  I've decided I want to build some models that I don't have to put at risk of losing or blowing up...:o !!!!  I have not built a plastic model car since Jr High school which was around 1977 and of course those were not quality builds as I was just enjoying spending time with friends and model building is one of things we liked to do together.

Fast forward to now and I have kind of re-kindled my interest in things automotive after 1.) buying a new car (Toyota Camry),  2.) starting to watch auto racing again (F1, Indy, WEC...etc),  3.) purchasing some muscle car kits with 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby.  I've been trying to catch up on some of the current techniques being showcased on YouTube and have found some very good information there.  For my first build I will be attempting Revell's 1970 Dodge Charger kit ( the one with the pink car on the box although I won't be painting mine pink).  There is an excellent video series on YouTube for beginning car modeling that features this kit and it's a car I've always had a fondness for since my High School used one for Driver's Ed.  So it's the first car I ever drove legally on a street (off road doesn't count).

As far as the particulars, I'm 55 years old and live in San Tan Valley, AZ (which is in the greater Phoenix area) and am also a member of the Craig Hewitt IPMS chapter here.  I'm married with 3 kids - 2 girls and a boy (only my son is still at home, but he's not a modeler).  Well I suppose that's enough rambling.  I'm looking forward to interacting with the membership here and taking advantage of their vast knowledge base to improve my modeling skills over the years and kits to come.

Don

Edited by DonaldBrent

Welcome!  I've attended several Craig Hewitt contests.  I also flew Estes rockets!  The biggest is the Saturn 1B, that uses 4 engines, never launched.   Have what's left of the Pershing that was converted to use Flight Systems F engines.  Last launch the nose angered into the ground. :(  That's why I prefer static models.  Live north of you!

Donald, 

Welcome to the MCM Forum!   

And, welcome to AZ.  In addition to IPMS Craig Hewitt Chapter (the largest IPMS chapter in the USA), there are two clubs in the Phoenix Metro Area dedicated to car modeling:  Cactus Car Modelers Club (Cactuscarmodelers.com) and Moonlight Modelers Club (Moonlightmodelers.com).

A group of car modelers get together from time to time for 'build sessions' where we just sit down informally and work on our projects together.  Sometimes referred to as a 'build-n-bull' session, as there's a lot of visiting and idea-sharing and general BSing as well as model building.  Next one is tomorrow (Saturday 29th) at 11:00 a.m. in the activity room at Hobby Depot (hobby shop), 216 West Southern Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85282.  You're welcome to check it out.  

As you probably already know, IPMS-CHC hosts and promotes an annual contest and swap meet (for to all modeling disciplines) in November every year.

PLUS!  The largest and longest-running model car championship in Arizona (and the immediate Southwest) - DESERT SCALE CLASSIC - happens every April.  Go to desertscaleclassic.com.

And, twice each year there's a model car and pedal car show and competition at the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association shows in Scottsdale.  Spring Nationals is in March each year and Southwest Nationals is in November (the weekend before Thanksgiving) each year.

In other words, in the Phoenix Metro Area there's plenty to do and plenty to get involved in . . . to whatever level you desire . . .

Danno