Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ala Kart/Classic Model A/Mod Rod and their variations ?

I just opened the AMT Classic Model A Roadster and included in the box were parts that look to be from the Ala Kart. I know in the earlier editions that the Ala Kart included a Stock Mode A as a two car kit.  In the Classic there is a set of custom fenders similar the the AK but a bit different. Also is a Model A pickup roadster  body similar to the AK but minus some of the custom touches.   Could these parts be the one used in the Mod Rod/Ala Kart kit ? 

Any history on the kits timeline and changes would be interesting and appreciated. 

s-l500.jpg.6d2cae8ead6b1ad894a5d28687f49d81.jpg5d1525d5220b7_s-l500(2).jpg.a48e4991f0f61bbdcda013b77119834a.jpg5d1525d49d8b6_s-l500(1).jpg.6b281af3483fb6035236c41440175d39.jpg

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Yes, the parts to which you refer are vestigial remains of the ORIGINAL Ala Kart kit, which was a DOUBLE kit including a '29 Ford as well. And yes, it is these ORIGINAL but somewhat MODIFIED parts that are included in the Mod Rod, etc. Every release and every later version of the AMT '29 Ford roadster I've ever seen has had at least some of the original Ala Kart double kit parts included, particularly the Dodge Red Ram hemi engine.

BUT...there is a "NEW TOOL" Ala Kart released some time in the '80s or '90s...I forget exactly when. It's ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from the original tool kit...and was NEVER issued as a double kit. The NEW TOOL parts ARE NOT included in any other kits either.

The photo of the Ala Kart you posted above is the NEW TOOL kit.

Both Ala Kart kits have strengths and weaknesses. The unforgivable one is a severely under-scale engine in the NEW TOOL kit.

These are the original and the new-tool boxes compared.

Image result for ace-garageguy ala kart

Here are some of the differences in the two kits examined in some depth.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

12 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Did R&M of MD make some of the parts in question in resin?

Thanks Ace. I have two of the newer kits and I do see a difference in the parts from the Classic kit.

Thanks for the link to workbench post. I will give it a good read

They do have a similar grille shell assembly, Current price is $8.95

100_3996-vi.thumb.jpg.a919aa7f493260d68a2e291266ebb969.jpg

All of the Sixties issues of the original Ala Kart could be built as the Ala Kart.  But optional parts for both the Kart and the '29 roadster were included.  The later Sixties issues like the Mod Rod merely emphasized the optional version over the Kart.  The later issues had fewer Kart decals; the scallops for the underside of the fenders were ommitted.

The Kart body and fenders were altered for the Street Rod series double kit from 1973.  That was the last double kit issue from the original AMT company.  They no longer owned the 1:1 Ala Kart, so they likely modified the kit to make it different enough to avoid licensing or royalties.  Lesney later reworked the kit to make use of some of the Ala Kart parts as optional parts for the '29 roadster.

The Round 2 Mod Rod isn't exactly like the Sixties Mod Rod in that you can't build the Ala Kart from it.  The Street Rod series alterations to the body and fenders remain, and a few strategic Kart parts aren't included.  But you can build the Mod Rod as shown on the box.

Thanks for all the information and links to past posts. I have known Harold Perry for a few years now and consider him a friend. Unfortunately he lives  a ways away from me and only occasionally see each other in person. When I decide to do the build I will pick his brain and with what you guys have given me hopefully it will be half as nice. Thanks Again

10 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Another question , what does the extra bucket body supposed to represent. ? Were there two different styles of  Modal A pickup roadsters. The Ala Kart has the rounded back and the other kits I have the backs are square. I originally thought the Ala Kart was  T bucket attached to a 29 cowl section.

You're correct. The Ala Kart body is a '29 RPU cowl and doors, with a '27 T bucket rear panel forming the curved section.

A stock '28-'29 roadster pickup body is flat in back, below.

Image result for Model A roadster pickup

'30-'31 RPU bodies are curved in back.

Image result for Model A roadster pickup

Edited by Ace-Garageguy