Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tru-Color Paint

My local hobby shop has just starting selling Tru-Color paint.

http://trucolorpaint.com/model-automobile-colors-high-gloss-and-metallic/

I'm curious if anyone has tried this paint before?  I use Scalefinishes, but Tru-Color appears to be a single stage paint (clearcoat not required).

The colour selection is quite good!

Has anyone used this paint, and if so, what are your thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

I have some too but have not used it. I thought it was Lacquer based?

The Hobby shop that Bluenote mentions informed me that it is actually partially acetone based. They have been using Tamiya Lacquer thinner and Mr Color (Mr Hobby) lacquer thinners with good results. Acetone is not recommended as it would dry it out too much.

I've used their model railroad colors and like it. I've ONLY used their thinner when needed for airbrushing. It's supposed to be ready for airbrushing and it usually is but as it ages the thinner disappears and you need to add a little. From what I've read on model railroad forums DO NOT thin it with acetone even though that apparently is part of its content. For airbrush clean-up I use a tiny bit of their thinner to get the color out then use cheap lacquer thinner to be sure.

Tru-Color paints are often used by model railroaders (they started out as model RR paints, later expanding their line to automotive colors).

That paint is similar to model RR paint which was sold couple decades ago called Accu-paint.  I've been told that it was not paint per se, but a type of ink.  It is similar to lacquer, and it goes on very thin so it doesn't hide any details.

While acetone is used as one of the ingredients, the thinner also has other chemicals whihc slow its evaporation rate. Best advice is to use the same brand thinner for thinning the paint, and acetone for cleanup.