Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 GTO Gasser - The Boogieman

Fish_65

I just finished this up a few months ago. Our club decided to build gassers for our display at the Milwaukee NNL this year. I started building this when the kit came out in 1995? I hit a roadblock and it went back in the box because of a lack of decent headers for a Pontiac (Revell '68 Firebird to the rescue !). The body was painted and the chassis was done back in 95/96, so I can't even remember what color it's painted. I deleted the rear seat and scratchbuilt a 6 pt roll bar. Tires and wheels came from the box-o-parts. It has the kit engine with a MAD distributor and blower and hat from the Monogram Hairy Olds kit...I think lol. Decided to go bold with a red interior...I typically hate blue cars with red interiors, but I think it works (I had a blue Mustang II back in high school with a red interior and couldn't stand it). I still need to add a few underhood details yet and just realized the driveshaft is MIA. 

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

Looks great!  Any chance you could flip it over so we can see the Firebird headers?   I've got a GTO build-in-progress that could use headers and I've had trouble finding anything suitable.  So, I'd like to see what you used.  Again, I LIKE it!!

Really nice build!  It's such a good thing when "dead" projects come-back to "life" and turn into outstanding builds!  Your detailing and detail-paintwork is outstanding; that hood emblem is so small and so cleanly painted as are all the other body emblems!  Did you flock the interior's carpet, or is that the kit-textured floor?

18 hours ago, berr13 said:

Looks great!  Any chance you could flip it over so we can see the Firebird headers?   I've got a GTO build-in-progress that could use headers and I've had trouble finding anything suitable.  So, I'd like to see what you used.  Again, I LIKE it!!

Hey James, It's not very easy getting a pic of the headers on the car. The camera wants to focus on everything but the headers. Anyway, this is the best I can do and a pic of a loose set.

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

Thanks for the nice comments Scott, James, Mark & Carl.

Mark, It was a great feeling to get this one out of the box and on the shelf. I have way too many similar model projects and I need to take care of that problem. So many that are so close to being done. And yes, the floor is flocked.

Edited by Fish_65

On 6/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, Fish_65 said:

Hey James, It's not very easy getting a pic of the headers on the car. The camera wants to focus on everything but the headers. Anyway, this is the best I can do and a pic of a loose set.

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

Perfect!  That's exactly what I wanted to see.  Now I'm gonna have to dig for my Firebird to scavenge the headers for the GTO.  Thanks!