Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold mirror glass?

The BMW Nazca has gold-mirror glass, some other show cars have the coating.  Think of space suit visor.  I've seen a video of a guy brushing on a paint, that turned into a mirror finish on a motorcycle gas tank, but didn't take note of what that paint is.  But that was on a solid surface, not clear for a window.  Is there something that would create that look, short of asking Oakley sunglasses to put parts into their system?

You could check with any window tinting company in your area. While not common,  Ihave seen cars with windows tinted with both Silver and Gold reflective film. Maybe they'll have a few scraps they would give you or charge you for some. 

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Gold Alclad. Just airbrush light coats on the inside of the glass until you get the desired effect. 

You'll get that gold tint but still be able to see through it.

Maybe their mirrored gold would be better

23 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

The BMW Nazca has gold-mirror glass, some other show cars have the coating.  Think of space suit visor.  I've seen a video of a guy brushing on a paint, that turned into a mirror finish on a motorcycle gas tank, but didn't take note of what that paint is.  But that was on a solid surface, not clear for a window.  Is there something that would create that look, short of asking Oakley sunglasses to put parts into their system?

That paint is Alsa easy chrome. https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/  I have some but it is god awful expensive.  I don't know how it would work on clear plastic.  You have to lay down a coat of their base(which is clear) or the chrome doesn't harden the way it should. I think I may try it the next time I get a spare windshield.  Might be a fun look.

15 hours ago, espo said:

You could check with any window tinting company in your area. While not common,  Ihave seen cars with windows tinted with both Silver and Gold reflective film. Maybe they'll have a few scraps they would give you or charge you for some. 

I tried that. the film is thick, won't curve like we are used to for decals.

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Gold Alclad. Just airbrush light coats on the inside of the glass until you get the desired effect. 

You'll get that gold tint but still be able to see through it.

I've tried that.  My last project, Pondy, but I did not thin it.  Turned out just like any gold paint.  It was their paint for Lexan bodies.

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

That paint is Alsa easy chrome. https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/  I have some but it is god awful expensive.  I don't know how it would work on clear plastic.  You have to lay down a coat of their base(which is clear) or the chrome doesn't harden the way it should. I think I may try it the next time I get a spare windshield.  Might be a fun look.

Yes, that's what I saw!  Note it's on a solid surface, I would have to ask them about "windows".  $239 starting price, maybe not.  :blink:

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Yes, that's what I saw!  Note it's on a solid surface, I would have to ask them about "windows".  $239 starting price, maybe not.  :blink:

As I said I have some and have used it on plastic.  So far I haven't tried it on clear.  As to the price, well, yes it is exorbitant but they do have "hobby size" kits that go for about $90 for two ounces of both the base and the chrome, which is several models worth.  Why I have it, is that it is extremely durable when done right.  I've masked over it and sprayed candy lacquers over it without damaging it.  You can spray a coat of the base over the top of it to bury decals and it doesn't dull the chrome.  By the way the base coat is water based.  

Clear plastic is very prone to crazing (probably because it is pure Polystyrene, with no fillers or dyes).  Alclad paints are acetone based - I have strong suspicion that they will craze clear styrene.  NAZCA has large dome shaped glass - using automotive window tint is not really an option. Painting with Alze chrome will make the windows opaque.

The model's windows have slight smoke (brown) tint already.  When I build mine I'll leave it as-is.

Those photos reminded me of something: I was looking online for some NAZCA reference photos and all I kept finding was of the car with the BMW-style grille, and other details differing from the model.  Have you been able to find photos of the 1:1 car which looks like the model?  Or is the model depicting something that was never produced?

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the old Road & Track Exotic Cars Quarterly that if I recall said BMW decided not to develop the project further while ItalDesign was still considering producing the car, hence the BMW-style grille went away.  Definitely too bad as that would still be one of the most gorgeous cars on the road.

3 hours ago, djflyer said:

There was an article in the old Road & Track Exotic Cars Quarterly that if I recall said BMW decided not to develop the project further while ItalDesign was still considering producing the car, hence the BMW-style grille went away.  Definitely too bad as that would still be one of the most gorgeous cars on the road.

But all the photos I find online *HAVE* the BMW-style grille.  I was hoping to find photos showing the ItalDesign-style grille - zilch!  The only ones I find are of the Revell model.