Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hurst shifter

What available kit has a Hurst shifter that would be a little bit longer as I would like to put in the AMT 50 Chevy pick up kit so that the knob height would be at the seat edge ? 

https://media.fotki.com/2v2EVmsBhxwhifW.jpg

To make turn signal unit I used two number tags off of plastic tree glue together and numbers sanded off

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1

I recall only one or two shifter levers in kits with the embossed "HURST" wording, and if it doesn't have that wording, well, it isn't a Hurst stick, so i wouldn't help you much. The two I'm thinking of would be too short for use in a pickup with a raised bench type seat anyway, hence my suggestion of the Detail Master levers.

Thanks for the connection to Detail Masters shifters, The project has to be done by the fourth, I have a JoHan Maverick so I'll check it, but back then when I built is (an free Auto World grab bag kit) I might have replaced it with a dress pin. I found a shifter and added a boot from another to get the height.

greg

I have made my own shift lever out of flat sheet plastic before. I would draw out the shape I wanted on the flat stock and then cut it out. You may have to use more than one piece to get the thickness you want. glue them together and sand to shape. For the shift knob I have used pins with small round heads on them. Just drill the end of the shifter until the pine will slid in and glue. Paint or chrome the shift lever to your liking.